Screen Responsiveness (VIDEO)

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
The 900 that took 6-7 swipes to go through the default app list was defective. I have almost 250 apps and I can go through the whole thing with 7 or 8. Now there is a slight delay when drawing or moving my finger really fast. But I didn't even notice till I read this thread. Tbh I don't think I've ever used a touch screen device that drew like the lumia 800 that Daniel showed in that vid. I just assumed that all touchscreens were that way. Probably why I didn't even notice.

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to figure this out my self. My Samsung Focus will zoom with the flick of my thumb, basically two swipes gets me from top to bottom. Now it takes ~4 swipes to do the same. If I use my finger it seems to be the same speed as my Focus. My wrist is a little sore, this phone is heavier then the Focus that's for sure, but way WAY more solid feeling!!!

@JPDVM2014- I share your pain, when I visit Smartphonebetatest.com Flash is needed to show my friends the Nokia commercials from my NL900.

That's weird. I was able to view the videos on my HD7...

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, because everyone uses sweeping long strokes to navigate around apps, games & browser text. I know I myself zip & zoom all over a browser until it just happens to land on the area I want to read.

And why did you feel the need to respond if its the worst thread ever? Just keep your head in the sand. Everything's fine, mate.

Keep in mind, not everyone has ham hands like you. This thread is nothing short of a troll post with a completely ridiculous video showing a fabricated "issue" Do us all a favor and read more and post less. :rolleyes:

amorenod

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Some of the answers here leave me stunned. Yes, it may not be a problem for some people, specially newcomers to WP7, but that doesn't mean it's not there, or that you have to kill the messenger.

I've done peestandingup's test on my Optimus 7, and it follows my tiny movements perfectly. The 800/900 comparison is even more revealing: the 800 follows the finger, the 900 pursues it. Given the lacklustre commitment to WP7 shown by LG, I doubt my phone has got better internals than Nokia efforts, therefore I'm inclined to believe the lag is solvable via a firmware update.

My current contract ends in July. I know I should wait to WP8 phones, but I also know I'm an impatient man with weak willpower, so I'm considering the 900 (I want a 4,3" phone), but if this lag is the norm, the decision is already made, and not by me. Like dead pixels, I know this would annoy the **** out of me, not just for Dodonpachi, but for any future game or app which requires precise movement.

If you don't notice any lag or you don't think it's a biggie, then I'm glad for you, but please respect any contrary opinion. The last thing this fine community needs is a grow in fanboyism running alongside WP7 grow.

Peace & respect.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ^. And I don't understand it either. As far as I can tell, people know there's a lot riding on the success of this phone & want it to succeed so badly that they're willing to downplay or look over some of its glaring faults.

Yes, every device has its issues. But these are kinda big IMO & clearly effect it's usability. And you can bet if my Titan or Focus had any issues like this that I'd be talking about them too. And the iPhone as well for that matter.

And I agree. Fanboys need not apply. If you don't want to talk about issues & would rather just ignore them, then that's fine & your choice. But don't berate the ones who do. We all want the phone/platform to succeed.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from the Arrive and the screen on the 900 is definitely less responsive. I can make a fast movement with my finger and move it 1-1.5 cm before the screen starts to move. This is most definitely NOT normal and is not what I have come to expect from a modern, flagship smartphone. It's really disappointing, actually.

-R

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, every device has its issues. But these are kinda big IMO & clearly effect it's usability. And you can bet if my Titan or Focus had any issues like this that I'd be talking about them too. And the iPhone as well for that matter.
You don't even own a 900...

Trolls and fanboys talk about issues on products they don't own, that's how it is. Just sayin'. Let the people with more experience with the 900 than "played with 3 in a store" handle the discussion.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Have to agree, the OP seems to be commenting on how bad the 900 is at numerous tasks in several threads yet doesnt own one, and dismisses the comments of those who dont see "his" problems. To date, the perfect, bug free phone is yet to be invented so going on about the 900's bugs, launch issues, camera, etc as if no other phone has bugs is a bit disingenuous.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from the Omnia 7 and while the screen doesn't scroll quite as fast. It also always loads up the live tiles. On my Omnia 7 it would scroll so fast that I would just have blank live tiles.

For me this doesn't affect usability at all. Still takes the same number of swipes to get to the bottom of my start screen.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree, the OP seems to be commenting on how bad the 900 is at numerous tasks in several threads yet doesnt own one, and dismisses the comments of those who dont see "his" problems. To date, the perfect, bug free phone is yet to be invented so going on about the 900's bugs, launch issues, camera, etc as if no other phone has bugs is a bit disingenuous.
Taking bets on what's next--connectivity, screen tint, lack of advertising, or vibrate motor "issues" :p

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
so I'm in the AT&T store and figured I'd play with the Titan 2. Guess what? Exactly the same behavior that I observed on my Lumia. Maybe this has sonething to do with the larger screens?

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
so I'm in the AT&T store and figured I'd play with the Titan 2. Guess what? Exactly the same behavior that I observed on my Lumia. Maybe this has sonething to do with the larger screens?

My HD7 never had any problems with screen responsiveness.

-R

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
What I meant to say is that "either this isn't a problem, or BOTH the Titan II and Lumia 900 have this problem." I don't see it as a problem, myself, though if it were possible to tighten up the responsiveness as Daniel shows in his video comparing the 800 and 900, that would be nice.

Also, I am pretty certain the HD7 didn't have a screen as large as the Titan 2's. Was it even as large as the Lumia's? I can't recall.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

Trolls and fanboys talk about issues on products they don't own, that's how it is. Just sayin'. Let the people with more experience with the 900 than "played with 3 in a store" handle the discussion.

"Experience". You mean the guys who already waited for months, bought the phone, used their upgrades & hence are probably more inclined to downplay any issues it may have? Hmmm. What about the others on this board who backed up my experience who do own the phone? I guess we're all lying.

Look, I honestly don't care either way since I don't plan on buying the 900, just reporting my own experience. I don't have to own the phone to know the screen isn't responsive. I mean, how long would that take in your opinion to notice after owning the phone? A day? A whole week?? Give me a number.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure one would notice that sort of thing right away since its basically, you know, how you interact with a touchscreen device. But have it your way.

I did visit another completely different AT&T store today, used both 900s they had, and guess what? Same exact behavior. But alas, I don't know what I'm talking about since its not sitting here at home with me.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The touch screen is not as accurate as my iPhone. When trying to move the cursor through text you can really tell. However it isn't really bad.

It does seem to also be slightly less responsive as well, or maybe it's the OS registering the touches. When typing in the PIN to unlock my phone I always am hitting the second digit before the first dot appears on the screen or makes the sound that I've hit the key. Again, it's nothing terrible.

As for scrolling and such. It's not really "slower", it just doesn't have inertial scrolling. So your flicks don't build up scrolling speed or flicking up/down faster doesn't result in more scrolling speed; it's just always the same speed no matter what.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
The touch screen is not as accurate as my iPhone. When trying to move the cursor through text you can really tell. However it isn't really bad.

One of my biggest gripes with WP. I've given up numerous times when attempting to drop the cursor in an exact position. This improved a lot with Mango mind you... but, it's still not great.

As for scrolling and such. It's not really "slower", it just doesn't have inertial scrolling. So your flicks don't build up scrolling speed or flicking up/down faster doesn't result in more scrolling speed; it's just always the same speed no matter what.

I wonder why would Nokia do such a thing? Even the first gen devices scroll according to the amount of forced delivered...

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
One of my biggest gripes with WP. I've given up numerous times when attempting to drop the cursor in an exact position. This improved a lot with Mango mind you... but, it's still not great.

I wonder why would Nokia do such a thing? Even the first gen devices scroll according to the amount of forced delivered...

I thought the inertial scrolling would be on Microsoft and the OS. The Lumia is my first WP7 device so I can't compare. But I noticed it immediately because everything on the iPhone has the inertial scrolling.

I don't find the touch screen at all a problem on the Lumia.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought the inertial scrolling would be on Microsoft and the OS. The Lumia is my first WP7 device so I can't compare. But I noticed it immediately because everything on the iPhone has the inertial scrolling.

It's definitely a L900 thing...

800's and my HD7 are all pretty seamless with the responsiveness and inertial scrolling. I get the feeling the 900 will be sorted come the release of Tango.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon