Bluetooth car stereo issues (doesn't auto connect)

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else use their Lumia 900 with their bluetooth-enabled car stereo?

Normally when I get in the car my phone should auto-detect and auto-connect to my car stereo via Bluetooth - but I find that it's not happening with my Lumia 900.

Anyone else seeing this issue or do I have a defective device? I never had this issue with my Focus or Titan.

Kdawg1989

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Normally when I get in the car my phone should auto-detect and auto-connect to my car stereo via Bluetooth - but I find that it's not happening with my Lumia 900.

Anyone else seeing this issue or do I have a defective device? I never had this issue with my Focus or Titan.

My 900 reconnects to my car stereo without fail every time voice and audio. Do you have any other bluetooth headset you could try connecting it to and see if it will reconnect. I know also my stereo has a set number of different phones it can remember and if that memory is full it won't work properly so maybe try checking that out in the stereo.

RockPaperBFG

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue with my car (Subaru WRX STi) and it needed to have my old device removed from the stereo to get it working right. I also read of a few Fords needing to do the same thing to get Sync working. You most likely need to delete the bluetooth devices from your car stereo and add the 900 again.

prosimian

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I had all kinds of trouble for the first few days (MS Sync on a Lincoln MKX). To get the Lumia to connect at all I had to delete all existing devices from the car. Then things got weird. My phone would connect, but when an alert fired off, the audio would switch to the Lumia speakers and I couldn't get it back to the car speakers. Bluetooth was unusable for two days.

Suddenly, about 2-3 days ago, everything started working perfectly. I didn't change anything. But now it auto connects, calls switch back and forth perfectly, it reads my text messages! I'm having a much better in-car experience than I did with my iPhone 4.

Now I'm sure it'll go back to being flaky since I'm effusing about how well it's working.

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for all the input guys!

It seems to be a little flaky. Sometimes it auto-connects, and sometimes it doesn't. The good news is that it seems to be connecting more often than not.. so I can live with it now. I wonder if there's an underlying bug here..

properbostonian

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

My Lumia 900 did not autoconnect but it wasn't the phones fault. It was the car. :)

I first had to pair it with bluetooth. Then, the car generated a password. Once I entered the password into the phone, it worked flawlessly!

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. A friend of mine uses his Bluetooth connection in his car to stream audio, and it works fine until he turns the car off. Apparently the music starts to play through the phone speaker. Is there a workaround to this?

RockPaperBFG

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. A friend of mine uses his Bluetooth connection in his car to stream audio, and it works fine until he turns the car off. Apparently the music starts to play through the phone speaker. Is there a workaround to this?

I have that happen with some 3rd party pandora steaming apps but never when using the built-in zune music player. What is he using?

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
This is probably due to the stereo deck he has.

My roommate and I both have different decks (I have a Sony BT3800, he has a Sony BT2900). I never see this issue your friend has, but my roommate gets it all the time (the song just keeps playing from his phone).

And I isolated the problem to the deck because if I use MY phone with HIS car - it keeps playing for me. But if he uses HIS phone with MY car - the music stops. So it's not based on the phone.

I think the deck has to send a stop/pause command to the device - but some decks aren't doing it.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is probably due to the stereo deck he has.

My roommate and I both have different decks (I have a Sony BT3800, he has a Sony BT2900). I never see this issue your friend has, but my roommate gets it all the time (the song just keeps playing from his phone).

And I isolated the problem to the deck because if I use MY phone with HIS car - it keeps playing for me. But if he uses HIS phone with MY car - the music stops. So it's not based on the phone.

I think the deck has to send a stop/pause command to the device - but some decks aren't doing it.

Hmm, I guess it could be his stereo. Wish I knew someone else with a Bluetooth enabled one to try, haha. He had been using an iPhone and I guess since that's popular enough they made it work there. Thanks for the heads up.

I have that happen with some 3rd party pandora steaming apps but never when using the built-in zune music player. What is he using?

Yeah, MetroRadio.

imowlawns4cheap

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

It's just a Windows Phone problem, I've had two different Windows Phone and I have to be connecting them to my car every time I come back inside. I've the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and 4S and they work perfectly fine. I've also had two Android phones and they connect just fine. Hopefully they will fix this by Windows Phone 8 or else I will go back to the iPhone.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth Audio is flaky and I think it's the phone

So if I am to understand, the lumia streams in EDR (enhanced data rate) over bluetooth.

I have a 2010 Infiniti EX35 and I used my old focus (no EDR) without any issues at all.

The lumia has this annoying habit of stuttering at the beginning of tracks, and also will drop out at certain times during playback

It also seems to get really choppy if it tries to access the internet or open an app whist streaming, which would point to the issue being somewhere in the phone

bt66

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 900 bluetooth is an issue I think. My car is an older model so I cannot stream music to it via BT. But what I find very annoying is that I cannot stay connected to my phone & car at the same time. This feature worked very well with my iPhone4. As soon as I get into my car, phone would connect to the car & when I had an incoming call, I had the option to take the call on my phone or over the car speakers. That was very cool. But I have never been able to do that with the Lumia so far. Sometimes it shows it's connected to both, but does not work anyway. I can only stay connected to one or the other. Is there something I am missing or it's the OS or the phone itself?

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I rent almost every week, and I can tell you Ford's Sync (odd as it's a Microsoft product) has serious issues connecting and staying connected to the L900, so much so that I have taken to bringing an audio cable. Clearing the device list helps, but mostly it just fails on every try after the first. I took my wife's old Focus S with me on my last trip, and got a Ford Fusion again (not surprising with Avis). For what it's worth, I did NOT have this problem with the Focus S, but the L900 just couldn't stay connected. I think, honestly, it's a device problem.

techpert_au

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I had the same problem with my Subaru Forester 2013 and it was driving me nuts. BUT NOW I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

So it turns out the Subaru Stereos have two methods of input when it comes setting up Bluetooth. One seems to be for one off use and the other is for more frequent use.

So here's what you need to do:

1. Delete your current phone. using the controls on the stereo itself. see your car manual if you don't know how.
2. Then turn your car off then back on. On your steering wheel put the "off hook" (the one for answering) button. this takes you to second set of Bluetooth inputs. Delete what is in there. all of it.

Now

3. Pair the phone using the hands-free system via the steering wheel "off hook" button
See the owner's manual page 5-38 for the exact procedure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon