05-10-2012 03:32 PM
59 123
tools
    ##634# to run the phone through it's paces to see if anything else is wrong.
    On the color test of white, red, green, and blue, all the colors look fine.

What should I see as a sign of problem?

Thanks
    04-21-2012 09:21 PM
    I got another replacement from at&the and the new device doesn't have the purple tint issue.
    04-21-2012 11:18 PM
    Yep, picked up a white Lumia 900. Same purple issue. I suspect this is purely a software issue -- like your monitor, these screens have temperature/color settings. But sadly their Diagnostics software doesn't have a way to tweak it. Shame, means a return is likely in order...
    04-23-2012 10:49 AM
    I started a thread about this issue on two white lumia 900s I tried. Looks like it is not limited to them. It also makes sense as it was more notible at home then at the store. At home it was crazy bad.

http://74.86.102.82/whitenokia/photo.jpg
    04-23-2012 11:26 AM
    I got a replacement for my black Lumia 900, which had a dead pixel, and the replacement has this purple problem, whereas my original phone does not. I chatted online with a Nokia rep who said they had not heard of the issue, but then called in to Nokia and spoke with someone who said he had heard of it, and he assumed they would release a fix for it, but when pressed he said he was not sure if or when that would happen.

When I said I'd likely return it b/c I just received it, he said that would probably be the best course of action.

I'm a bit concerned b/c I got mine from Amazon and can't be sure the next replacement won't have the same problem. I'm guessing it might be an issue of the lesser of two evils: dead pixel on my original phone vs. purple cast on a replacement.

What is interesting to me too is that my original phone shows fingerprints like crazy - on both the screen and the body - but the replacement with the purple problem doesn't show fingerprints anywhere, as if it has some sort of fingerprint-proof treatment all over it. Not sure if that could have something to do with the purple problem? Definitely a shame, as I like how the replacement doesn't show fingerprints. Also, the replacement came with a green dot on the box.
    04-25-2012 04:06 PM
    Didn't have that issue on the black one, but on the purple. Not really bothered by it though
    04-26-2012 12:21 AM
    My new White (a replacement for a cyan with data issues) has this too. While a bit of a disappointment, and I'm hopeful a software fix down the line might take care of it, I'm otherwise really loving my new phone and will live with it. On an OS that otherwise pays such attention to design and detail, it's a jarring thing. I hope they fix it.
    04-26-2012 12:37 AM
    I played with the brightness settings like somebody mentioned and the Medium/High settings doesn't have it
    04-26-2012 02:18 AM
    I had this issue on my first cyan Lumia. Was able to swap it out for a new cyan unit with no issues. According to the salesperson I talked to, as long as you don't change what color you have you don't have to pay the restocking fee AND you still have one free replacement within 30 days of initial purchase. It's definitely worth trading it in. The screen looks so much better now.
    04-26-2012 04:00 AM
    So, if there are some phones without the issue and some with it, is it a hardware defect or a software problem?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-26-2012 07:52 AM
    Well, I returned my 900 because it had a bad speaker. I had been using my replacement for a few hours and knew something wasn't the same visually, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I saw this thread.

The hue is very annoying to me, especially since I spend 90% of the time indoors.

What to do????...
    04-26-2012 08:51 AM
    It's like all of us that had original 900s that we got on the 6th didn't have the issue. Now when we return on of the original data issue phones we get replacements with weird screens.
    04-26-2012 09:05 AM
    Well, I returned my 900 because it had a bad speaker. I had been using my replacement for a few hours and knew something wasn't the same visually, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I saw this thread.

The hue is very annoying to me, especially since I spend 90% of the time indoors.

What to do????...
    Can you just put it on medium brightness? Does it look fine then?
    04-26-2012 10:06 AM
    Great, I was going to try and swap out mine to see if I can get one without the vibrate rattle, but the screen issue would bother me way more than the rattle. My current phone doesn't have this.
    04-26-2012 10:53 AM
    Just swapped out the Black Lumia 900 yesterday for a White one :-) (I had battery issues with my original one). Did not pay any re-stocking fee. I did notice the blue keyboard issue with a few of the applications but for some reason, it's gone this morning. I'm not sure if it's a result of me updating the software or something else that could have changed it.

I must say...the new one does seem a little different (a lot faster...and better battery life so far). And the color is just beautiful! I did notice quite a few scratches on the model at the AT&T store.
    04-26-2012 11:04 AM
    Just swapped out the Black Lumia 900 yesterday for a White one :-) (I had battery issues with my original one). Did not pay any re-stocking fee. I did notice the blue keyboard issue with a few of the applications but for some reason, it's gone this morning. I'm not sure if it's a result of me updating the software or something else that could have changed it.

I must say...the new one does seem a little different (a lot faster...and better battery life so far). And the color is just beautiful! I did notice quite a few scratches on the model at the AT&T store.
    It might have gone away because your phone's auto-brightness hasn't gone down to the lowest level.
    04-26-2012 06:03 PM

What to do????...
    I'm seriously contemplating returning it, but I hate the return process. I feel like they think I'm trying to screw them or something. For those that have returned for this reason, have you met much resistance?

Even though I made one return (for warranty, with no $35 fee), am I still entitled to return it for a refund or exchange it for another model phone for the $35 fee?
    04-26-2012 06:57 PM
    It's like all of us that had original 900s that we got on the 6th didn't have the issue. Now when we return on of the original data issue phones we get replacements with weird screens.
    Got mine on the 6th (black). No purple screen. No data issue, pre-post update. Yes, a little rattle if I carefully tap above the camera, but that doesn't bother me. Nor does the "different" sounding vibration. Got used to that by the second day. Enjoying my phone rather than looking for problems. The little software glitches will get corrected shortly. I have confidence in Nokia. They have a lot at stake.

04-26-2012 07:27 PM
    Im seeing this with my white one too. On top of that some colors are off. For example the app im writing the color #cccccc would appear greenish on my lumia while it display fine on the titan. The other element with the same color would display correctly. i already exchanged once for the lte issue, not sure if i want to go again. How can we get the word out?
    04-27-2012 03:52 AM
    Just got my white one Sunday and noticed purplish tint soon as I got home. And overall l think the colors seem a little gaudy and saturated compared to the Quantum I used for 14 months.
    Also seeing a faint "scan line" zooming down the screen when the keyboard is up.

04-27-2012 05:44 AM
    This just sucks. I bought Nokia Lumia 900(cyan) on April 9th(bday gift) and it had keyboard rattling issue as mentioned here(http://www.windowscentral.com/linger...uttons-rattles) so this afternoon i went to store to exchange it. I got the new lumia 900 and i found it didn't had any keyboard rattling issue. On the way back, tried to use my phone and found the keyboard being purple. I took it back in the store and since the lights were all bright in store, i couldn't reproduce the issue. I came home and found the keyboard purple again. I really wish Nokia fix this issue with the software update or recall the hardware. I love the phone but all these small issues have started giving me second thought on phone. It's like from frying pan to fire. Happy Windows Phone user but Sad Nokia user. :(
    05-02-2012 08:39 PM
    Looks like this is a hardware issue and has happened before to the N8 and C7. Here is a thread from the European Nokia forums and there are videos on youtube as well:

Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia n8 display issue - purple screen - Nokia Support Discussions

Another thread, with requests for mods not to delete it.

Nokia Support Discussions - N8/C7 PURPLE SCREEN ISSUE AND HOW TO SPOT IF YOU H... - Nokia Support Discussions

What is interesting is someone mentioned this fact on the US Nokia WP forum and the post was deleted. I exchanged my 1st 900 and the replacement from Amazon had the purple screen problem. I am going to speak to them and depending on their willingness to keep exchanging I will probably return the 900 and go back to Tmo and wait for something later in the year.
    05-03-2012 09:16 AM
    ?.... On the way back, tried to use my phone and found the keyboard being purple. I took it back in the store and since the lights were all bright in store, i couldn't reproduce the issue. I came home and found the keyboard purple again. I really wish Nokia fix this issue with the software update or recall the hardware. I love the phone but all these small issues have started giving me second thought on phone. It's like from frying pan to fire. Happy Windows Phone user but Sad Nokia user. :(
    If you want to replicate the purple tinge at the store, put the screen on low brightness and you will see the purple no matter how bright the store lights are.
    05-03-2012 09:25 AM
    I exchanged my cyan for white (cyan had the rattle and flush power button) and noticed the purple keys right away since I use low auto brightness a lot. However, changing phones was annoying enough (the sales person was wonderfully pleasant just was cumbersome). I feel like I am just going to live with the issue till we get a possible firmware update. I love the phone so much this is something I am willing to overlook. I will say Nokia does need to improve the quality control, but overall very satisfied with both models I had.
    05-05-2012 09:55 AM
    so I finally got the white Lumia...there was only one in the store..that's it! I exchanged my cyan lumia for white and it's absolutely gorgeous. However when I got home, I too noticed the purplish screen =/ my cyan didn't have any such issues...the only prob with my cyan was freezing at times upon data connection use...I guess I'll test the phone out more to see how well it's functioning..the purplish screen is bothersome but I can't even exchange it as there is such a limited supply out there. Nokia needs to send an update to fix this ASAP!
    05-06-2012 05:26 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD