Phone keeps asking for visual voicemail password

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
My Nokia Lumia keeps asking for my visual voicemail password. I don't know what it is or of I even set one. Due to this I am unable to access any of my contacts as this thing keeps popping up and asking for the password and doesnt allow me to do anything else. Can somebody help me?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I never had to type a password to hear my voicemail. What is the number to call into the voicemail service and access the menu? Maybe I can set a new one there?

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Call your voice mail, listen to the instructions, go to the admin settings, then change your password. After that, when it next asks you for VVM pw, then put in the password you set up.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you dial voicemail from your phone, it won't prompt. If you dial voicemail some other way, it will ask for your password.

It does on At&t. It asked for my password each time I called from my phone. It might be a setting issue. It does the same thing on my old Lumia 900 and my new Titan II.

rebride

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
There are two sets of prompts in voicemail. The first deals with the messages i.e. delete, archive, repeat etc. Ignore those and another set of prompts dealing with administrative, password will start. I did new password, didn't ask for old ???

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Make sure you have the correct plan to enable Visual Voicemail as well. There are LTE plans with and without it.

Once you have it set up and working, it shouldn't prompt you for the password again until you change it.

Sukhen Sharma

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Folks - I am having a similar problem, where everytime I try to call, it prompts me for a visual voice mail password.
When I enter my regular voicemail passwords, it does not accept it and finally I have to click cancel. This problem popped up after I upgraded to 8.1
I use a Lumia 720 phone with AT&T service provider.

Any suggestions, how can I overcome it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Folks - I am having a similar problem, where everytime I try to call, it prompts me for a visual voice mail password.
When I enter my regular voicemail passwords, it does not accept it and finally I have to click cancel. This problem popped up after I upgraded to 8.1
I use a Lumia 720 phone with AT&T service provider.

Any suggestions, how can I overcome it.
I had this issue when I switched from my 900 to my 920. I had to call AT&T customer service to have it fixed on their end.

Sukhen Sharma

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I tried that. Initially they refused to do so. I called in another day and that consultant did fix this but only "Temporarily".
When I called them back again, they asked me to talk to Nokia for a permanent fix, and as expected Nokia reverted the concern to AT&T.
My problem was, I upgraded to AT&T postpaid from prepaid, the very next day, I switched to 8.1, so I am not able to isolate if it is an issue with the postpaid or the 8.1 upgrade.

msandsm

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
When I dial my own number, from that phone, all I get is a busy signal. Any other ideas? (Nokia Lumia 920 with WP 8.1) I realize you posted your answer almost 3 years ago, but I hope you see this.
MSM

TheBigOkie

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It is still a current problem. I have three WP 8.1 phones on my AT&T plan, two Lumia 920's and one 1520. They are all three doing the same thing. A call to ATT customer support yesterday only made it disappear for a little while.

Once upon a time, when it worked appropriately, the regular voicemail PIN and the VVM PIN were the same. That no longer seems to be the case. In any event, no amount of resetting the password or entering what should be the correct password/PIN works. Only ATT can get it to work for a little while on their side. That tells me that the problem is theirs and not our hardware or the WWP 8.1 software.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SueBSouth

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
"When I dial my own number, from that phone, all I get is a busy signal. Any other ideas? (Nokia Lumia 920 with WP 8.1) I realize you posted your answer almost 3 years ago, but I hope you see this."

What you need to do is call your voicemail, which is to press and hold down the 1 key on your phone pad, then follow prompts Admin, Change options, change/set password. I did a very simple 4 digit number, entered it when the Visual Voicemail password prompt came up, and viola! No more password requests prompts! So far...
BTW I have a Nokia Lumia 635 with Windows 8.1 and what I really HATE is that you have to go through three screens just to dial a number. Woe betide the moment I need to dial 911 - without my glasses!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes