Never Buying a Windows Phone or Doing Business With AT&T or Nokia Ever Again

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So I'm a 17 year old guy with Asperger's Syndrome and if any of you know what that is, than you probably know that people with Asperger's Syndrome usually hyper-focus on on area of expertise, mine so happens to be Smartphones and other Mobile Devices. So in April I bought a Nokia Lumia 900 so I could try Windows Phone 7 and expand my horizons, and there are major flaws with it, but over all I thought that getting Windows Phone 8 would remedy these problems. Well guess what? That's not happening, and to make matters worse, my Lumia is having major problems like constant freezing, rebooting, giving various errors when I attempt to download apps and part of the screen popped out for no good reason. So I contacted AT&T a month ago and they told me that they would excuse the Early Upgrade Fee and that I could buy another phone for normal 2-year contract pricing. And about a week or two later I called back because the upgrade eligibility had not shown up on the account, only to be told that I actually couldn't do that and that I would have to pay the $350 Early Upgrade Fee and that in order to repair the Lumia I would have to pay $200, and I'm a 17 year-old with a family struggling to pay bills and having saved up for a month only to have $50 for a new phone. I spend all the time I'm not in school on my phone because I do not have any social life whatsoever and no money for gas to even leave the house since mid-October besides for school. My phone is my entire life, and can't give me any kind of break, my phone has been the only thing keeping clinical depression in check and be able to cope with the world, because it allows me to feel like I'm actually stuck in my room every single minute that I am not in school.

Thanks Nokia and AT&T, you've helped so much -_-

Sorry WPCentral Users, but it is reasons like this that people hate big companies who don't care about there customers.:unhappysweat:

I am sorry that you are having a problem and for the interplay with AS. I feel obliged to point out though that any reasonable cognitive and behavior therapy that would be part of treatment for AS should emphasize lessening obsessive behavior, not encouraging it. The fact that you identify yourself as having a family and struggling to pay your bills makes it even more important that you work with the root manifestation rather than cater to it. This may not be what you want to hear but you are conveying a much more important problem than whether a wireless company will let you upgrade out of cycle. I really am sorry for your situation, but having much experience dealing with cognitive and behavioral disorders among several people very close to me, I must say you are not helping yourself (and are not being helped by those around you) by allowing a symptomatic/obsessive manifestation of AS control your life.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
An enthusiastic chap like you who is obsessed with smartphones did not research what Lumia 900 was and what Lumia 920 is? Please if it all works out with AT&T for Christ's sake DONT email Elop. Swap your 900 for an iPhone5 or SGS3.

I'm not techy or obsessed at all compared to you, but I can tell WP isn't for you.

Also, I agree, when you know your family struggles with bills, fancy phone collection isn't a therapy that needs encouragement. Use those savings to seek "real" medical help!

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
It baffles me why on earth everyone bought a Lumia 900 in April when everyone clearly knows that new models of smartphones are typically launched during or before the holiday season? I had a crappy 3 year old Blackberry phone that needed desperate replacing this year, but I didn't flock to purchase the Lumia 900. Regardless of the fact that people thought the Lumia 900 would be upgradable to WP8, why not just wait a few months and get the newer phone? I waited and now I'm happy.

And if you need a phone immediately because your old phone broke and you didn't want to wait a few months for the new model, just buy a cheap replacement to do the bare necessities off eBay.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, everyone here seems to have made great suggestions. I would advise against emailing Stephen Elop. He isn't a wishing well of dreams, and shouldn't really be contacted. Deal with it with AT&T.

Anyway, as someone else has said, try your best to refocus your obsessions. I can honestly tell you it won't be easy, but I'm slowly making progress myself. Seek cognitive behavioural therapy as well, it can work wonders. I'm speaking from experience here!

You're 17. Get off the electronics once and a while. Don't let your disorder hold you back from being outside, with people or not.

Not always that simple! Trust me, I'm an Asperger's Syndrome sufferer myself. I had to brute-force carve my way into social circles. Thankfully, I'm now happily within two radio groups, and a video games society group. And education people about the condition helps an absolute TON!

Oh how sweet. You threw yourself a pity party on an internet forum.

Do you know how much of a jerk that makes you come across as? Sure, the guy overreacted, but to respond like that, essentially saying "You're worthless, get out of my sight" (and yes, I'm willing to lay money on he will read it as such) is only going to make him worse. Be careful what you say, cyber-bullying does lead to suicide. This in itself isn't bullying, but if you're not careful you could end up crossing the line.

palfor03

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
A lot of negative people in this thread. It is almost disgusting when you hear people who protect AT&T and Nokia and Microsoft without caring that they step on people's heart and emotions. I am a big fan of Microsoft and especially Nokia and I hate Apple and Google (not professional at all, the most sneaky corporations in the world), but this is too much. The guy gives reasons why he is so attached to his phone and why it is a much bigger deal to him than other people. Instead of people trying to give suggestion and help (even if he might be wrong), they speak idiocies.
I, as Micheal, would suggest to write an e-mail to Stephen Elop. Don't expect too much because Nokia is not directly responsible for your situation, but there are some stories that contacting Stephen Elop has resulted in answered prayers. :p
you make it sound like others didn't suggest the and thing that you just did in this post. People are keep it real but still being helpful.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Well guess what? That's not happening, and to make matters worse, my Lumia is having major problems like constant freezing, rebooting, giving various errors when I attempt to download apps and part of the screen popped out for no good reason.

I won't comment about trying to get an early upgrade so you can get WP8, enough has been said about that. What I will ask is with your phone being less than a year old why haven't you contacted Nokia about having it repaired or replaced under warranty?

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Send it to Nokia for repair. They offer a 1 year warranty on all their phones, so since you bought yours in April you have until April to use it. I've used their warranty service on a Lumia 900 before - they had a brand new phone back to me within a couple of weeks.

Just because you're 17 doesn't mean you can't use common sense. Common sense dictates more contacting Nokia for a warranty repair and less whining on WPCentral about your woes.

Yeesh.

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
First off, have the account holder call AT&T handset assistance. They should be able to help you.

Second, quit throwing around your AS as an excuse to not get out and do things. I grew up having to deal with it myself, always being told I was fine. I learned to cope on my own while managing to have friends, numerous interests, and becoming quite successful in my endeavors. We didn't figure me out until my son was diagnosed. He's coping quite well.

Life ain't easy, and it only gets worse when you use something like that as a crutch. Use that keen ability to focus as a tool and be who you want to be, not what others tell you that you are.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

CheekyTaurus

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought the 900 in April and re-upped my contract at that time. I knew full well that WP8 wasn't going to likely support it and I did it anyway.

Then, when the 920 came out, I went to an AT&T store and asked to do an early upgrade. I paid the $350 bucks and restarted my contract.

And I did all of it of my own free will. Amazing how that works.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
unless he has a part time job of course. depends on him. but we all shouldn't be mean to this dude. he may be addicted to electronics a lot but he still is a human being. I have a friend that has what he has. it's very sad. Nobody is perfect.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Its the internet. I'm not surprised at the lack of tact and empathy under the guise of "keeping it real", regardless of whether or not the OP is over the top.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Sure, why should someone not email Elop. This is just an option. He is a CEO for a company from which you bought a phone.. It is like you bought a honda car for its reliablity and then find out that it is hopeless. I know that pple had to do a class action lawsuit to get Honda to fix transmission for 2000-2004 odysseys. Well i am sure Elop will be happy to address his concerns. That is how you build loyalty to your company.

Doesnt mean that he will do it. he may do it. I am surprised to hear stories.. and I am surprised that Nokia hasnt changed his email yet. If they dont want to allow this they would ahve changed email address long back.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Asperger's is no joke. I've actually had a few people tell me some of my behavior seemed borderline.

As to the problems with AT&T, don't hold that against WP, but my advice with customer service is always note who you talk to, especially if they promise you something. Try not to get rude, or take a hostile tone, most reps will automatically cut you off at that point as far as sympathy. I work in a call center myself (not AT&T), and the callers attitude determines just how willing you are to help them. There's a difference between irritated at a problem, and taking it out on the person trying to help you.

There's always the "nuclear" option too, ask to speak to retentions. But just staying polite, ask, don't demand, and that goes a long way with customer service, and you usually won't have to get a manager or retentions involved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon