May 2013 7.8 Update fails, no error code

mwgeek

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I tried to update my mother's Lumia 900 from 7.5 to 7.8 today with no luck. I'm on ATT and both the phone and zune prompted to update. It fails towards the end of the 1st update when it's actually installing. The progress bar on the phone gets about half way then the phone reboots. Zune says it's restarting the phone but while zune is waiting for the reboot to complete the phone boots back up with the old tiles and gives a message that the update failed. No error code on the phone. Zune stays on the phone is restarting screen and never catches up so I have to Alt F4 to close. zune still responds because it prompts me this may make the phone unusable. The phone is still working fine on 7.5.

I know it's not the pc or cable I'm using because I updated my father's 900 without issue, after my mother's failed, on the same machine.

I looked through the windows phone site, MS answers, and all that and can't get very far without an error code. I've rebooted the phone, pc, and cleared browser cache and temp files.

Any ideas other than waiting a week or two and trying again?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
That error generally indicates that there has been a failure in writing data to the device. For that particular error it is best to reset the device, and then perform the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck