The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-12-2012 04:00 AM
298 12345 ...
tools
    Overall the camera experience on a Windows Phone is way better lenses just adds another dimension when it comes to photography.

Now in terms of pictures

The older crowd will defiantly take more pictures during the day time but for the younger crowd its defiantly geared towards more night time photos.

But regardless your not going to get good light everywhere so in terms of point-and-shoot L920 offers the best camera sure iPhone 5 has better daylight photos I heard its due to pre-processing but L920 photos are natural.

If it's noise were talking about I'm sure it will get fixed later down the road.
    10-31-2012 03:26 PM
    THis is what i wanted on my camera which lumia 900 could not provide.

See something, take my phone out of my pocket or wherever, turn on camera, take the shot and the photo comes out as i see it on my screen.

I could not do this with the lumia 900 as the color you can see change as the picture is taken. I could not take a picture as the evening comes due to poor low light ability.

As an amatuer user, i want to be able to take my picture, have the picture come out as it has been seen without fiddling too much with the settings and such. That is all i want and that is what most people will want.

I remember when the 900 low light issue came about and people kept saying "just change the settings", the point is, i shouldn't have to change anything to take a random picture.

I have the focus S, no issues with taking out of pocket point and shoot and the picture came out as i saw it.
    10-31-2012 03:26 PM
    Tell me how is a phone "innovative" if its advertising the fact it has a fantastic lense, OIS, and "pureview" technology and yet standard day time photo's are far from amazing.

Standard day time shots should be amazing and the ois videos & low light photo's should be nice extras

I'm sorry that you are sad enough to defend a multinational company because they have once again not delivered.
    I'm not defending anyone, and you are still so caught up in your spec sheets that you fail to understand my point. My point all along in this thread (actually I've been arguing this point all over the forum) has been that a "fantastic lens, OIS, and pureview technology" means nothing. Particularly "pureview" is nothing more than a marketing buzzword just like "retina" which has no quantifiable meaning attached to it. It takes people with a superficial understanding of technology to actually attach meaning to those words... their own personal meanings... their own personal expectations. That is precisely what marketing is intended to help people along with. That's why marketing buzz words are invented in the first place.

If Nokia really had a killer camera besting everything else in the industry by a mile, shouldn't they just have released comparison shots every few days instead of marketing buzzwords? C'mon, everybody does this, it's how the whole industry works.

Oh, almost forgot, they did release comparison shots... but only in low lighting scenarios. Maybe this issue is why? Or maybe it was just an easier sell, as the difference between daytime shots would have been less dramatic. At this point we don't know, so I'm reserving judgement on whether or not the camera can live up to expectations. At least until we find out what the root problem is, should there actually be one.

If you still don't understand that I can't help you.
    10-31-2012 03:35 PM
    Nokia screwed themselves . They focused on low light and hurt themself with dayshots. Most pictures are taken during the day.
    Oh good. Another worthless negative troll. Just what this forum needed.
    10-31-2012 03:37 PM
    The vast majority of pictures I take with my camera phone are inside usually. I will take the low light performance over a slightly better out door picture. Also don't discount how much handshaking most people have when taking cell phone pictures. The Anti-Shake stuff is a big deal.

Now... if it was like OMG iPhone 5 takes WAAY better out door pictures and Lumia 920 is terrible at out door it would be a different story.

However what we have is -- Lumia 920 takes hands down the best indoor/night shots. Has the best shake-free video and takes good outdoor shots. If I need to take great photos for the time being I will still take my real camera (as I would if I had an iPhone 5, SGIII, etc...)
    a5cent likes this.
    10-31-2012 03:41 PM
    I'm not defending anyone, and you are still so caught up in your spec sheets that you fail to understand my point. My point all along in this thread (actually I've been arguing this point all over the forum) has been that a "fantastic lens, OIS, and pureview technology" means nothing. Particularly "pureview" is nothing more than a marketing buzzword just like "retina" which has no quantifiable meaning attached to it. It takes people with a superficial understanding of technology to actually attach meaning to those words... their own personal meanings... their own personal expectations. That is precisely what marketing is intended to help people along with. That's why marketing buzz words are invented in the first place.

If Nokia really had a killer camera besting everything else in the industry by a mile, shouldn't they just have released comparison shots every few days instead of marketing buzzwords? C'mon, everybody does this, it's how the whole industry works.

Oh, almost forgot, they did release comparison shots... but only in low lighting scenarios. Maybe this issue is why? Or maybe it was just an easier sell, as the difference between daytime shots would have been less dramatic. At this point we don't know, so I'm reserving judgement on whether or not the camera can live up to expectations. At least until we find out what the root problem is, should there actually be one.

If you still don't understand that I can't help you.
    Everybody has seen daylight photos on a phone not everybody is going to zoom in 300% to look for blurriness. With today's technology any phone is good for daylight photos most users Instagram the photos and add filters anyway.

Now low-light is not what every camera can do and a lot of photos get taken at night especially at clubs, parties, dinner whatever people love the night life especially young adults the 920 is perfect for taking low light photos no need to bring an extra camera just for that.

That's my take on it.
    10-31-2012 03:42 PM
    so your saying because some random joe schmo took some pics that didn't live up to the iphone 5 pics that were taken by a professional that you will agree the pics are not as good lol, ok well I respect your view, but I've never seen a company release a camera with better specs that took worse pictures than a worse speced camera phone or not, and if it did it was software, I think iphone has very good software but at the end of the day once all software is final on nokia it will have better pics that's my opinion I've seen enough professional taken pics with it to say its better.
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/ca...test-large.jpg

ip5
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/ca...hone-large.jpg

I dont care if its software or hardware. The PHOTOS from the 920 are not as good as the ip5 in daylight. Not sure what a professional can do with a point and shoot taking a picture of a landscape a few hundred yards away across a river, but I don't see how it can get rid of the noise in this photos.

Sure, if the camera software is fixed it could be better. I love how the ip5 software for its camera is likened to a crutch for inferior hardware, but Nokia's inferior software is not a big deal and will be fixed eventually to make it on par with a crappier camera from apple.
    10-31-2012 03:44 PM
    None of these two reviews have convinced me they were done properly.

The first one features different pictures as comparison (like wtf? really?), and the second one is a single image. No talk of whether or not they delved into the settings of the camera - who knows, maybe they're not even aware they can change them - and limited data range is not convincing. I'll be waiting on a review from wpcentral and theverge.

Edit: just looked at CNET's review. Same thing. One pic, no mention of settings. It seems the issue is the same in every pic though: noise reduction set too high.
    a5cent likes this.
    10-31-2012 03:44 PM
    HTC evo lte has an excellent camera. Not sure what your doing wrong. Even in low light the pics are nice. Not lumia nice, but probably not far off.
    My wife took some of our boys eating breakfast in our moderately-lit kitchen when I was out of town a little while ago. Both decent, but noisy.

It's not a bad camera. But I felt as underwhelmed with it with all of HTC's "ImageSense, dedicated chip, F2.0" talk as some here do with the initial 920 pics.

I'd love to see a head-to-head comparison.
    10-31-2012 03:46 PM
    so your saying because some random joe schmo took some pics that didn't live up to the iphone 5 pics that were taken by a professional that you will agree the pics are not as good lol, ok well I respect your view, but I've never seen a company release a camera with better specs that took worse pictures than a worse speced camera phone or not, and if it did it was software, I think iphone has very good software but at the end of the day once all software is final on nokia it will have better pics that's my opinion I've seen enough professional taken pics with it to say its better.
    I'm assuming you are responding to me (pls quote me if you are), I apologize if I am mistaken.

I don't know why you think I'm agreeing with those stating the 920 doesn't take pictures that are as good as an iPhone 5. You need to read more carefully. I never said anything of that sort. I'm saying I don't know, and I'm not willing to jump to conclusions based on garbage reviews, spec sheets and Nokias historical track record. At this point, both sides are jumping to conclusions.
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-31-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Changed last paragraph
    10-31-2012 03:49 PM
    I really don't get how Apple manages to be the only company to consitently bring very good cameras to their phones. They don't even make the parts themselves!
    10-31-2012 03:49 PM
    Everybody has seen daylight photos on a phone not everybody is going to zoom in 300% to look for blurriness. With today's technology any phone is good for daylight photos most users Instagram the photos and add filters anyway.

Now low-light is not what every camera can do and a lot of photos get taken at night especially at clubs, parties, dinner whatever people love the night life especially young adults the 920 is perfect for taking low light photos no need to bring an extra camera just for that.

That's my take on it.
    Agreed.
    10-31-2012 03:51 PM
    Desperate, how does a5cent sound desperate? All he's saying is nobody put you in charge of judging for everyone else how good a camera should have turned out.

And it's innovative because no one else has put optical image stabilization into a phone?

At least their advertising seems fine--"bright, blur-free photos"--which is what the Lumia produces. The problem is the lack of detail due to the noise reduction algorithm. I don't see where they claimed that it would produce detailed DSLR resolution photos. That was an expectation you set yourself.

And why should daytime shots come first and OIS and night time shots be extras? You mean if they couldn't get day time shots correct with the OIS, they should have just thrown the OIS out because it should have been extra anyway?
    Another blind fanboy I never said it should produce "dslr" resolution photo's that was a statement you said not me, I said don't advertise how good a camera Is if it can't take good day time photo's which is what most people use a camera phone for.

Why should day time shots come first? So you think its acceptable to buy a cameraphone that's only good at lowlight photo's?

Carl Zeiss are probably horrified their name is on this mess.

Its innovative to have OIS in a phone really yeah great really good I can have stabilised poor photo's.

The ignorance is unbelievable but whatever have fun
    10-31-2012 03:54 PM
    Oh good. Another worthless negative troll. Just what this forum needed.
    Evidently anything said around here about nokia that isn't positive is trolling now? Pathetic.
    Smg-Uk likes this.
    10-31-2012 03:54 PM

That's my take on it.
    I agree. I don't think I stated anything contrary to that. As far as I can tell, this discussion revolves around these initial "reviews" (which I don't take seriously) and their take on the Lumia 920's daylight snapshot performance. Nothing more.
    10-31-2012 03:57 PM
    I really don't get how Apple manages to be the only company to consitently bring very good cameras to their phones. They don't even make the parts themselves!
    Pre processing? They have billions of dollar's and make the SW and HW so with that much 1st party work they can make things happen.
    10-31-2012 03:57 PM
    Another blind fanboy I never said it should produce "dslr" resolution photo's that was a statement you said not me, I said don't advertise how good a camera Is if it can't take good day time photo's which is what most people use a camera phone for.

Why should day time shots come first? So you think its acceptable to buy a cameraphone that's only good at lowlight photo's?

Its innovative to have OIS in a phone really yeah great really good I can have stabilised poor photo's.

So your saying the 920 sucks when it comes to day light photos I seen pictures its GOOD
    10-31-2012 03:58 PM
    I still don't understand how people expect amazing quality from those small sensors. They are all using 1/3" sensors @ 1.4 micron pixels.. no way around the noise/grain.

Apple got the most out of the 1/3" sensor.. if Nokia can match that, great.. if not.. they still have work to do on the software side.

I wonder if they managed to port their jpeg work over from their Symbian line to Windows NT.

OIS won't help you with that.. as far as I can tell, its only good for video.

Either way.. they are way off from what the Nokia 808 can produce.
    10-31-2012 03:58 PM
    Sony makes some pretty good cameras, I own a Sony NEX-3 and it's great.

IIRC Apple gets their iPhone camera sensors from Sony.
    10-31-2012 03:59 PM
    ^ its not only the camera module.. Apples jpeg algorithm is very good as well. Just compare the iPhone 5 to Sony's own Android based smartphones with that same sensor, the iPhone is better than pretty much all of them.
    10-31-2012 04:01 PM
    Evidently anything said around here about nokia that isn't positive is trolling now? Pathetic.
    No, just people that go off half-cocked like idiots over one review when they have never even seen, touched or used the phone themselves yet.

Maybe we can wait until they actually start selling the phone and more than two people have one before we decide the camera is total ****?

Just a thought.

I know my thinking is a little radical though, so by all means get back to the armchair condemnation of the camera on a phone none of you have ever even used. I have more constructive things to do with my time than read this tripe.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-31-2012 04:04 PM

Blind fanboy? Oh how convenient you would cut out the part of my post where I said I was DISAPPOINTED.

The photos are not poor dude, they're good, just not as good as iPhone 5! Geez, just because the Galaxy S III or the HTC One X doesn't always produce better pictures than iPhone 5 mean it's a poor camera too?

I'm still waiting for more reviews because in the CNET comparison, the colors looks saturated compared to the iPhone, but in another review from another site, the reviewer said while the colors were accurate, they were dull.
    10-31-2012 04:05 PM
    I dont care if its software or hardware. The PHOTOS from the 920 are not as good as the ip5 in daylight. Not sure what a professional can do with a point and shoot taking a picture of a landscape a few hundred yards away across a river, but I don't see how it can get rid of the noise in this photos.
    I agree with the gist of what you are saying. It really shouldn't require a professional photographer to get these types of pictures right. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that many reviewers are simply incompetent. Can we be certain that both cameras had a comparable white balance setting and ISO values were set correctly? Maybe the Lumia 920 has some setting to determine JPEG compression levels. I don't know, but I don't trust these reviewers to know either. In that sense I think srmiller82 has a point too.
    10-31-2012 04:08 PM
    ^ its not only the camera module.. Apples jpeg algorithm is very good as well. Just compare the iPhone 5 to Sony's own Android based smartphones with that same sensor, the iPhone is better than pretty much all of them.
    Lol, funny how Sony can make these great sensors but can't figure out the software side of things.

Well at least they make some money from Apple, right?
    10-31-2012 04:09 PM
    Well, not that my comments will make one lick of difference to the whiners here with all their righteous indignation with the supposed hype surrounding the 920 camera. First of all. Nokia has focused the marketing around the image stablization and low light shots. Capabilities that trump offerings from current phone makers. Full light photos are pretty damn good. If you have to zoom in to start pixel peeping on a freaking photo taken from a camera, you are trying wayyyyy too hard. The picture will be compressed even further when loaded to your favorite social networking site....even moreso when adding all those "must have" instagram filters. There is just not a lot of technical difference between daylight shots amongst all the current phone offerings.

Bottom line, the overall 920 package, to include the camera with its image stabilization and low light picture taken capability, appears to be a home run. Apple and Android fans don't need to get their panties all twisted. Others who act like Someone pissed in their Wheaties because some Apple/Android sites have (and will continue to) play down anything good coming from Nokia (Because of WP tie in) need to get over it. Be happy you are living in this time period where you have all these great choices.
    cckgz4 and Muessig like this.
    10-31-2012 04:13 PM
298 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD