Lumia 920 camera is is not as good as we thought ????? How is this possible

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't get people writing off low-light capability and optical image stabilization as mere add-ons.

I'm the father of a couple of young boys. I'm current stuck with an HTC Arrive, but ready to switch to AT&T as soon as the Lumia 920. My wife has a superfast-shooting HTC Evo LTE.

The VAST majority of pics we have to throw out/delete are due to blurriness or low-light grain/murkiness. Most of their spontaneous magic moments do not occur in daylight outdoors or in a room with huge windows.

The Lumia 920 features are ideal for this. Additionally, they have the smart group shot thing that lets us take previously unusable shots because one kid or another was looking away or scowling, and then create a better single shot. Everything I've seen thus far indicates this is the perfect smartphone camera for me. Your mileage may vary, but I think they've already delivered on their promises.

I hear you on the low light...however I have reservations that the 920 is going to beat out that Evo LTE when it comes to real-world moving subjects like kids in low light. I am quite sure it will let in more light, but let's see how the detail compares.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope the OIS really brings the game, because I agree that the camera is not selling that phone to me. Now, the awesome Nokia only apps make it a bit more appealing. IF they work as the PR team claims.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the camera is what was mostly hyped. Amazing when there is a need for low light shots and the power of OIS is totally undeniable. I didn't expect it to take killer shots with good lighting, still hand and everything else being optimal. Simply cos the phones that currently rule that department have huge camera bulges, now 920 has optical image stabilisation so no way it can fit all the goodies in there (well, technology evolves and maybe one day it can, but for now).

As in, I don't think we've been had at all.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain to me how Nokia can make a phone and promote the camera as the selling point for the device yet every review that has come out for it says the camera takes dull pictures, not Sharp or crisp? I just don't understand. How can the IPhone 4/5 still have the best phone camera

I have seen the user shots on this forum and a few website reviews and I am already convinced we've been had.

Are you guys serious? Since when has marketing "mumbo jumbo" ever been a reliable source of information. I am completely baffled that people expect it to be.

Marketing hype is all we have had so far for any WP8 device, and with a single exception the initial reviews are far from thorough or even trustworthy. Most reviewers have no idea what they are talking about and their articles are full of factual errors.

Calm down, wait for real reviews.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Calm down, wait for real reviews.

Better still, try it out for yourselves before you buy. Nothing like thinking for yourself in the 21st century (cant believe someone suggested the verge as a source to check for a review, might as well have asked Tim Cook).....:dry

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The reviews are coming in and for the phone they are good but for the camera they are average. Nokia shouldn't have sold the phone as the best camera on the market and all that stuff. So now we can take high iso night shots that are decent to good but take day shots that lack detail and color? That's just not smart business. Once the big guys start releasing their reviews and that have negative about the main feature of the device and then compare it to te iPhone it's going to hurt sales.

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I think this is all ridiculous, hardware wise the iPhone and htc 8x and any android have worse hardware, the 920 has slightly more mp than 8x and same aperture with a bigger sensor this automatically means better daytime and night time pics this can all be fixed software side, if its taking bad pics now it will be fixed in software update, the sensor itself is MUCH better than 900, and pretty close to the same in the 8x, its ridiculous to thin noise reduction will cause daylight problems its all SOFTWARE side it can all be adjusted, as for iphone it has worse aperture smaller sensor anything it does is completely software and limited to the crappy sensor it has, htc will give very similar pics but will always be edged out by 920 and low light will be night and day. ANYTHING software nokia can fix just because apple didn't rush the iphone 5 the software is more complete, as it stands right now the best camera phone is indeed the 808, then the n8, then will be 920 in that order all being nokia, then would be some htcs or sony's but I've seen sony 12mp camera phone compared to nokia n8, n8 won hands down and I own an n8 also, my wife has a 4s it takes awful pics, anybody who ever says an iphone takes good pics is retarded so many other phones have better sensors they just don't refine the software because google/android do not care, htc on the other hand has great sensors and software just like nokia, nokia obviously rushed this software will be be 100%give it 3 months it will easily beat every other modern OS phone in almost every situation, not only that iphone 5 has major problems with that lens, but to say htc will take better pics with an inferior sensor is dumb its all about hardware and nokia has always put best hardware in their phones for camera, with the exception of lumia 800, 900 those probably have the worst sensor they have ever put in a phone, on top of that its BSI just like all rest but with higher MP and bigger sensor and OIS, you cant say noise reduction is a problem software can be updated anytime they like people want to love apple and hate nokia cause NOTHING is better than iphone well iphone hasn't ever had the best camera at anytime it was released it was always way down the list, my n8 takes better pics than my stand alone camera and I have 100's of pics to prove it. the aperture is better on the 920 than the n8 the sensor is a little smaller I don't need n8 quality pics but if is close and also better in low light then its easily best camera on a modern os.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Better still, try it out for yourselves before you buy. Nothing like thinking for yourself in the 21st century (cant believe someone suggested the verge as a source to check for a review, might as well have asked Tim Cook).....:dry

Thinking is way overrated these days ;)

Absolutely agree with your take on the verge!

- they have long reviews with lots of fluff that some may confuse with being thorough
- apparently their staff is incapable of making relevant technical measurements (color accuracy, signal/noise ratios, battery life under varying usage scenarios, etc). Instead they rely on spec sheets and marketing material which I am better at interpreting myself.
- they serve each review with an unhealthy portion of bias

Not good.

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I mean in regular light the sensors between the phones your talking are almost exactly the same the rest is hardware, so regular light nokia will slightly edge the rest while 808 and n8 will be way better than the rest, but they aren't advertising it as the best normal light conditions its best low light because with adequate light any pos can take a good pic I mean hahaha is ridiculous, it has a better sensor its a fact it will take better pics if the software causes a lot of noise reduction nokia will adjust it, not hard, apple will be stuck with a worse aperture and less mp and a discolored lens that causes weird shades on pics, only big apple ****** sites will say an iphone has the best camera, I mean I have a 6 year old nokia that takes better pics than the iphone 5 in normal light don't be ridiculous cant put a cheap sensor in a phone and majically get the best pics apple does not and will never put the best hardware in their phones you do not make a lot of money by using the best hardware why you think nokia is losing money? they always use better hardware stop trolling. Btw 808 came out they said it had best camera nobody disputes that except apple fanboys iphone 5 came out 808 still has best camera nokia was right all along.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The reviews are coming in and for the phone they are good but for the camera they are average.

What you call "review" I call garbage or at best untrustworthy. Wait.

Even if the camera isn't that great in daylight, who is really to blame for false expectations? Who was it that told you the Lumia 920 made great daylight pictures? All I remember reading about is OIS (which is meaningless without real tests evaluating its impact on real pictures) and their marketing efforts geared towards selling low light performance.

I think you let marketing get the better of you and now your baffled reality isn't living up to advertising. Again, seriously?

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Even if the camera isn't that great in daylight, who is really to blame for false expectations? Who was it that told you the Lumia 920 made great daylight pictures? All I remember reading about is OIS (which is meaningless without real tests evaluating its impact on real pictures) and their marketing efforts geared towards selling low light performance.

I think you let marketing get the better of you and now your baffled reality isn't living up to advertising. Again, seriously?

Oh please give it a rest the camera is not as good as it should have been end of story.

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
@independent I don't listen to hype, I happen to be in the technology industry for 20 years and my wife is a photographer, I own an n8 yet time and time again people say iphone has best camera or some android I mean get real have you ever seen first hand a pic taken by an n8? my guess is not, when nokia comes out with camera phones they are ALWAYS the best only to be beat by their own phones, the daytime photos will not be night and day difference between iphone and 920 because the hardware is similar, so if your expecting that your retarded and nokia didn't fool anybody but you, lowlight will be vastly different but like I said not hard to get a good pic in good light if you cant get that your also retarded, nokia will take better pics in both situations one being much more noticeable to say its average compared to other phones is also retarded the only other manuf. making aperture like that is htc not iphone not Samsung just htc, so yes htc will also take better pics than iphone, iphone wll never be at the top they are interested in that.

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
p.s. I own 2 iphones they both take **** photos possibly worse than my 900 and my 900 doesn't not take good pics at all but nokia never claimed it was a great camera phone either.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Well, in all honesty this forum was hyping this camera up a some kind of game changer. People were getting blasted for even mentioning the 8x or Ativ around here. The Nokia elitism was at an all time high. Now people are realizing that it's just another high end smartphone with exaggerated features.

srmiller82

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
oh one more p.s pricing looks like iphone cause 2x 3x more than the 920 so even if it was average or the same yet cost way less whats to complain about hahahah I mean stop thinking it will be as good as a DSLR and you will be fine, I can promise it wll be bettr than iphone 5 because the hardware is better nobody disputes that, cannot make a better pic out of software its no majic doesn't happen until apple actually puts a better sensor than another company they will not have the best camera on a phone

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Again... nobody can deduce any kind of qualitative properties from a spec sheet. Technology is NEVER that simple, but for some reason everybody pretends it is. Just the tolerances involved in assembling the camera module or the coating used inside the camera module can completely change the quality of pictures taken. Anyone thinking they can accurately gauge quality based on a spec sheet (MP, sensor size, lens branding and the existence of OIS) is simply fooling themselves.

Spec sheets are nothing more than a rough measure of potential. They have little to do with what you actually get.

Last edited:

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The samples on the dialaphone.co.uk review aren't very good. While the color on the Nokia shot is quite a bit better, the crops could be misleading. First, the iPhone seems to have a longer lens so the crop from the iPhone is bigger than the Nokia's. Second, we don't know where the focus point was on either. The Nokia could have been focused further back.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, in all honesty this forum was hyping this camera up a some kind of game changer. People were getting blasted for even mentioning the 8x or Ativ around here. The Nokia elitism was at an all time high. Now people are realizing that it's just another high end smartphone with exaggerated features.

I wasn't. But yes, you are correct.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon