Can't "Unblock" Blocked Background Tasks

sleewok

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I noticed recently that I wasn't receiving any notifications, etc. It turns out that I had Power Saver on full-time. I turned it off and looked at background tasks. ALL of them are Blocked. When I click on an app, I can't unblock it. The button is "grayed" out. I've tried rebooting and that doesn't work. How do I re-enable them? This is driving me crazy...

Thanks!

usw

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, and uninstalling and reinstalling the app doesn't remove it from the blocked apps list. Does anyone have a solution for this?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, and uninstalling and reinstalling the app doesn't remove it from the blocked apps list. Does anyone have a solution for this?
What app? If it is Facebook, the background task is only related to using the Facebook lockscreen setting. It tells you this if you have that lockscreen option enabled.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Metrotalk (Google Voice app)
It seems to only require background tasks for live tile updating. Enable that option in the app to unblock. I just installed it and tested it out on my phone and I could block, unblock, etc so long as I toggled that setting in the updates screen in MetroTalk.

usw

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It seems to only require background tasks for live tile updating. Enable that option in the app to unblock. I just installed it and tested it out on my phone and I could block, unblock, etc so long as I toggled that setting in the updates screen in MetroTalk.
I had the live tile enabled, but toggling it off and then back on did it, thanks!

usw

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the live tile enabled, but toggling it off and then back on did it, thanks!

Well it seems this only partially solved it...after some period of time (a few hours or so, I don't think a reboot is involved) the apps show up as blocked again (Baconit and MetroTalk) and stop updating. I have to go into the settings of each app and toggle updates off then back on to get them to work for another few hours.

I do have a few apps that have stayed unblocked though (Batter Level for WP8, Timer, and Weather), so I'm not sure what makes the difference.

cvmadhava

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I can't unblock any of the apps in background tasks once blocked. this is affecting a number of apps already and I can't get the live tiles to update as a result. at the moment this is impacting locksider+, groupon, Bing translator, facebook. can someone please help as I'd rather not have to reset the phone.
Thanks,

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If an app's background task is misbehaving, e.g. throw too many errors, they will be automatically disabled by the system. So, your best bet is contact the app dev to fix the underlying issue.

MatthewGavin

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue with Amazing Weather. I can not get the app unblocked. What would be a way to attempt to fix it? It seems some people in this thread to to reinstall an app and that did not work.

Vilas Lakkabathini

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Guys switching on your location inside facebook app settings....solved this problem for me..
it unblocked the app n now its working fine try it........

Last edited:

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Same problem with Fox News App. I had it blocked, now checking the "unblock the next time App is opened" option does nothing. Its still blocked. I was going to uninstall/reinstall, but looks like I'm not alone here.

arkhale

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Try checking the unblock box then open the app thru the app list and not from the pinned tile on the home screen. This worked for me a couple of times.

Swamitra Singh

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Try checking the unblock box then open the app thru the app list and not from the pinned tile on the home screen. This worked for me a couple of times.

what I did was I ticked the checkbox below block button, when I was clicking, app was closed. Then I closed settings and opened app and checked the list, it was in the allowed list.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Same problem with Fox News App. I had it blocked, now checking the "unblock the next time App is opened" option does nothing. Its still blocked. I was going to uninstall/reinstall, but looks like I'm not alone here.

I had this problem when I first got my phone in April. Turned out I d/l'd the Fox News App for Windows 7. There's a newer one for Windows 8... I uninstalled Fox News and d/l'd the correct app. Now it works fine.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks this worked for me. Problem app was JDB For Facebook Pro. Really annoying as the free version for my other account was working fine but the pro app just stopped delivering toasts one day. I tried everyhting then after reading here I went into the app switch background talks off within the apps menu then closed it. Reopened the app and switched background taks back on within the apps menu. Closed it. Went to background tasks within the phone menu and there it was back to normal. Very satisfying :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon