Nokia. Drive is terrible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Compared to my Garmin (which my girlfriend basically stole) and Android/Google Maps, Drive is a flop. Slow routes, missed turns, bad directions... I wouldn't say it's useless, but it's not great by any means. My main concern is that I use Nokia Music and Drive at the same time in my car, with the headphone jack leading to my stereo... You can barely hear the directions, even when they mute the music.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia Drive is in the process of being rebuilt for WP8. The current iteration is in BETA. There WILL be some issues.

As for Garmin, where do you think they get their mapping data from?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Omg my navigation program can't predict my every whim and makes mistakes all the time. I want to take the expressways but it doesn't, then when I set it to take highways it doesn't know that I want to take side roads. Why must I micromanage this!!!!

Seriously..... You can't expect it to know and do everything. Get over it.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine seems to be working fine.

Went to Chicago this past weekend. New city for me and I used it as the passenger to find several locations. It got us right to it and the voice navigation was spot on. I used the Voice Search "Find Best Buy etc" to get us around the City and it worked great.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Nokia Drive has been pretty good here. I do get the bug where the map doesn't update my location, banning on the map and pressing back fixes that bug for me. I do hope it gets updated soon though.

I also have Garmin and this one is really good. I think that navigation on windows phone is pretty good. Android has Google Nav, but the 3rd party offerings suck.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I used it to go from central Michigan to southern Kentucky for Thanksgiving. It seemed to work fine for me, but I don't have much to compare it with. The only quirk I noticed is that when I would need to go straight it would tell me stay left and take the exit.

I also used it when attending a funeral in a pretty rural area of Ky during the same trip. It got me there and back.

It seems to be a pretty big fan of the battery.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a 900 and have many reproducible issues in San Diego. Houses on cul-de-sacs if they have a street behind them, Drive will route you that other street. . . ..
I've had that exact thing happen on the google website.
As for Nokia Drive its better than the actual gps we bought. It even gave me a different route to work, that I never considered, and it's actually faster. Never would have thought that it would be.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had that exact thing happen on the google website.
As for Nokia Drive its better than the actual gps we bought. It even gave me a different route to work, that I never considered, and it's actually faster. Never would have thought that it would be.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I know Garmin gets their maps from Nokia, basically, but software over the maps are different. I never had these issues with my Garmin and I don't use Google maps as I am already out and about no need to print directions. Oh well, don't have a job that requires driving any more, so all good.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine works just like a Garmin GPS in my car. Set both device to the destination i wanted and both read out the same route. Not sure what you're comparing to.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
First, I cannot understand why it would not integrate with my contacts. I had to go into contacts, copy the address and paste it into the destination in Drive. I am perhaps missing how to do this integrated, but if not this will hopefully be added before it moves from beta
No need to do that. Both Bing Maps (the app that's pulled up when you select a contact) and Nokia Maps connect you to Drive. When you pull up an address after selecting it from a contact, select "Directions" and allow it to pull up directions. Once it does, at the bottom of the screen you should see a curved arrow pointing to the right that says "Drive" under it when you select the dots. Select that and it navigates from Drive. Similar process when coming from Nokia Maps, except that there is an actual "Navigate" option with the word "Drive" under it at the top of the directions list.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
First, I cannot understand why it would not integrate with my contacts. I had to go into contacts, copy the address and paste it into the destination in Drive. I am perhaps missing how to do this integrated, but if not this will hopefully be added before it moves from beta.
Click on the contact. Then click on their address (where it says "map to address). This will bring up Maps. Click Directions, then the little right turn arrow. Voila.

Yes, it would be nice to have a "navigate to address" button off the start so it's only one click...

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Compared to my Garmin (which my girlfriend basically stole) and Android/Google Maps, Drive is a flop. Slow routes, missed turns, bad directions... I wouldn't say it's useless, but it's not great by any means. My main concern is that I use Nokia Music and Drive at the same time in my car, with the headphone jack leading to my stereo... You can barely hear the directions, even when they mute the music.

Garmin (powered by Nokia) sure has superior mapping data over Nokia.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a few gripes about it so far:
1. It would be great if it could recognize my contacts' names and grab their addresses instead of having to copy & paste the address (or click the address to view in Bing)
2. It would be great if at the end of the "Trip" that it could display the address because the "Approximate" location can be between 4 houses (both sides of the street), which can lead to some confusion. The little checkered-flag doesn't do much because it is displayed in the middle of the road, not over the actual destination's address.
3. When it tells you to enter/merge onto the highway, it doesn't say in which direction. Perhaps it isn't a big deal if I can view the map's general direction, but if I am reading the text directions via Nokia Maps (not Drive, but they both operate the same way) it doesn't say N, S, E, W. It would be great if it did (especially at a "Fork").
4. It tells me to take a street exit, but it would be very helpful to know the exit number, so I know how soon it is. Yes, there is a "Distance", but knowing the number is helpful as well.

With all of this in mind, I will say that neither Maps nor Drive are perfect in my opinion. Using Drive/Maps I am batting .500 so far. Yesterday night I used Drive to go somewhere and it told me to "Stay left and take the exit" on 480W in Cleveland, OH. There was a "Fork" in this area where there was an exit on the right, but to "Continue" you go left. I wasn't sure as to how the connection was, as this was right after a spot where 480 was merged with another highway, so I stayed left (as per the verbal instructions). It then told me to make a right turn directly under a bridge where there was no right turn. Thus, I had to turn around at the next exit and follow what should have been a "Keep RIGHT and take the exit" sort of situation. That said, the route it took me was long and ridiculous.
I just found where I can switch the "Smart routing" (options being "Faster route", "Shorter route", and "Economical route"...not sure what "Economical route" means compared to the other two), but it doesn't appear to make any difference, as it doesn't take traffic into account, as if it did, the route would be different when I choose "Shorter" versus" Faster" (all three are showing the same route at the moment, where Google is currently showing that this route would take me 50 minutes at the moment, whereas their "Default" would take 45).
So even if the "Smart routing" worked properly, this doesn't appear to carry over to Maps, and Maps doesn't have the ability to set this, either!

Overall, this is very poor, in my opinion. :unhappy: Perhaps the biggest issue I have with the 920 thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon