Attention! Possible Lumia 920 design defect

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Here's the pics. In the first pic you can easily identify the gap between the frame and the upper screen. In the 2nd pic is me pressing the top of the phone, you could see no gap at all in this pic.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CBF29479AE7FD0BF!598&authkey=!AMPWNy2AO0OmgM4
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=CBF29479AE7FD0BF!599&authkey=!AJ95bkMp1xef4SA

I need some arrows or something. Are the first 2 pics the same? I don't see much difference in the 3rd pic.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue with my first black 920. It clicked and squeaked pretty badly from the top of the phone. Even worst when I connected an audio cable to the 3.5mm jack. I did noticed that by slightly pressing and holding the screen in the top area, then pressing the top of the phone would not make it squeak or click. Reading other people reporting it makes me believe it is a manufacturing consistency or variation issue. I exchanged it for a red 920 (which I love!!), and it does not have this problem.

I would recommend anyone with the issue to have it replaced if it bothers you. I had no issue since I was still within the 14 day period. But even after that the build quality issues should still be covered by the 1yr manufacturer warranty.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that I have this exact same issue. The top part of the phone can definitely be pushed down, and makes a noticeable clicking sound upon doing so. It doesn't appear to affect the use of the phone in any way, but it is rather annoying for something that is supposed to be a solid piece of polycarbonate.

Too late to switch it out for a new one sadly.

While I don't particularly mind it, I do wonder if it will get worse in the long run. Is it coming apart slowly? I don't remember this when I first got the phone, but then I also don't remember specifically pushing in the top of my phone either. Will it affect the touch screen performance one day? I certainly hope not.

Matt Studney

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought a White Lumia920 2 weeks ago and I definitely have this issue. I can even get my fingernail between the screen rim and polycarbonate body.... I've been mad about this all day after I noticed it yesterday .... Glad others are having same problem and bothered by it like me! I am a huge windows phone fan and Nokia supporter/stock holder so I do find this unacceptable... I show my phone off to anyone who asks about it (tons of compliments and questions in last 2 weeks)... the last thing I want to have to do is explain a defect.... even if I am the only one who knows about it.

I might have this device for 2 years so having this issue out of the box is not a good sign... dust can definitely get in there and cause other issues. The phone should be air lock tight... or at least feel that way.

I am going to write Nokia tonight.

DanB2

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue from the first day I got the phone which was Nov 10th. The clicking went away, and then it started again a week later and stopped again. It's as if something snaps in and out of it's socket. Thankfully, I have not noticed dust in the camera. There is also a bit of give and creaking when I put pressure on the side of my 920 where the power, camera, and volume buttons are. Has anyone else noticed this?

ezcats

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah this happens on mine too (red AT&T). Either complain to ATT 100 times or just live with it. The same thing happens on my HTC One X. It creaks everywhere, I cant even pick it up without it creaking. But everyone does have a right to complain, no matter how small the problem.

If you paid for it, you can complain about it. If its free, shut up and live with it.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
"I see noTHING... I here noTHING" Sgt. Schultz. Same here, no issues and I do not intend to press hard enough to make it happen.

drunknbass

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Here is a pic from my 1 day old Lumia. The lens is ~30x and the screen gap doesnt seem large in the pic because of the angle (hard to shoot) but you can see there is a large collection of dust. This is a day old and been in my pocket maybe 3 times.
phone.png

atlbuc

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
My black Lumia had this real bad, I have a red one now and is having the same issue at the top left and bottom left although not as bad. If I push in on the glass at those points then it stops, its as if the glass is not fully secure.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Here is a pic from my 1 day old Lumia. The lens is ~30x and the screen gap doesnt seem large in the pic because of the angle (hard to shoot) but you can see there is a large collection of dust. This is a day old and been in my pocket maybe 3 times.
phone.png

I dunno man..... I don't think 1000x zoom is enough. Better check it at 2500x and call Stephen Elop on his direct line, let him know about the crisis.

drunknbass

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I dunno man..... I don't think 1000x zoom is enough. Better check it at 2500x and call Stephen Elop on his direct line, let him know about the crisis.
I was just curious and had a 30x handy. After looking at it with my own eyes regardless of any noises, i'd be worried of dust getting in. I have no idea the design of the case so maybe there are other ridges inside to block a direct path to the camera lens.

rkgriffin

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have two black 920s. One of them has this "issue" the other doesn't. But really, I would have never noticed it if I didn't read it on the internet. Not sure how this is an issue? How is it affecting your use of the phone? Who presses in that spot in everyday use? Like others have said, unless it actually causes a real issue in some way I could care less.

Maybe I should walk around my house pressing every electronic I have in every possible way and if any of them make a sound or move a micro meter I am rushing to the internet to scream about it.

csudvm2003

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My black Lumia had this real bad, I have a red one now and is having the same issue at the top left and bottom left although not as bad. If I push in on the glass at those points then it stops, its as if the glass is not fully secure.

My black 920 just started doing this too. I checked it when I first received it last week because of the posts about this issue, and it was fine. I just checked again, and it's clicking, but when I push on the glass it stops. I'd been thinking the glass seemed a bit loose, and I think you're right that the glass might not be fully secure there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon