Lumia 920 bricked after wireless charging

rstrube

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I had the *exact* same issue when I first started using my wireless charger. After a certain amount of time, the phone would shut off, and the only way to revive it was to hold down the power button, plus volume down buttons (a button reset). This happened to me consistently every time I used the wireless charger. I think I've been able to resolve the issue by using the wireless changer in a slightly different manner.

Before I would place the phone on the wireless charger, then pressthe screen lock button. This would result in the phone eventually shutting down.
Now I place the phone on the charger, and DO NOT press the screen lock button. I let the screen timeout by itself. This seems to allow the phone to charge fine and it does not shut down anymore.

I've had three successful overnight charges using this approach. Try it out and let me know if it works for you too.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've done the same. I always check one last time for messages etc and just set it on the charger. Out of my short time with it It's only made it one night without locking up and that was with bluetooth off.

From what I gathered it is happens well after the phone is fully charged like fieldzz said. I've heard it go off at 3-4 am with new email etc but then when I get up at 630AM it's locked. I'm guessing something is not shutting down properly after the full charge and is getting stuck in a loop causing the pone to eventually just hard lock.

Im going to continue tested under normal conditions (BlueTooth on for me and apps in background for a few more days to see if it can still lock it up at night.) and then try a few more days with BT off

Harry Ola

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I had my first freeze last night in a while. The only thing I think I did differently was to place the phone with the screen still active following what rstube said above. Before then, I think I was placing it down having pressed the power button so it was on the blank screen. The phone state when placing it on the wireless charging plate seems to point to wifi issues, since we know it behaves a little strangely anyway. This might also explain why Nokia are suggesting it could be fixed in the update.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Still doing testing on my end here and i can't pinpoint anything anymore. I charged last night with everything off (Wifi, BT, NFC, No Apps in background) and still it locked up. The only thing left on was cellular. I'm just going to go back to wired charging for a while until the update comes out.

rstrube

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to give you guys an update. Last night was the 5th night in a row that I did not have a lockup. I'm still using the same technique of not shutting the screen off after placing the phone on the charging plate. I also make sure to close all of my running applications.

Bluetooth is off. NFC is off. Wireless and Cellular are always on.

I was having lockups every night before I started being diligent about the process I use when wireless charging. It appears that some of you still have the lockup issue even after following my recommendations, which means it's not a bulletproof way to unsure no lockups. I'll definitely post back here if I do get another lockup.

Rob

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Not the same for me mine locked up last night with Bt off NFC off and no apps. Even let the phone go to sleep it self. Seems to be totally random for me as I had s no lock up night with services on and apps in the background.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Did the same scenario last night and mine made through lock free.. At this point it seems to be random when it's happening and not pin-pointed to a certain setting.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just to update. Left everything on again. (Wifi and BT with apps in background) And made it through lock free...

It's totally random as to when it locks up for me.

CyCl0n3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we should do a list with the devices where this Wireless Charging freeze happens and the Firmaware wich they are running on and with the devices on wich this doesnt happen + the firmware. Maybe we can figure out if its Firmware specific. You can check it for example with the Nokia Care suite software.

Mine is: Lumia 920 Black: 059Q8M3: RM-821 Vodafone DE VAR241882 Black v1_Black
Defective Wireless Charging: YES

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine locked up while on the wireless charging plate in the middle of the night last night. Subsequently my alarm never went off for work this morning. Luckily my internal clock woke me up. First phone I have ever had that I haven't been able to rely on as an alarm clock. First time it's done it, and the first time I have left bluetooth on while charging.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Could somebody with the Portico update please report if wireless charging works fine now? I'm still at work and can't test this for another few hours.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I will be using mine over the next few days to see if it happens again. Need to give people time as the update just came out. The locking up only seemed to happen for me after it has been on the charger for a while and received a full charge.

goldfinch711

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Since I've started to place my phone on the wireless charging pad without pressing the standby button my phone seems to charge very well, too. Maybe it's still coincidence. Hope the new firmware update will arrive very soon here in Germany.

Edit: This night it locked up again. The only difference is that I've just set my alarm for the next day before 10 AM. Maybe the alarm is causing the freezes during charging wirlessly? Maybe someone else can test this?

Last edited:

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the alarms at all.

Even after the software update mine locked up again last night.. Really disappointed in hoping that the software was going to fix this.

Cruzer1

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
From the charging plate user manual:
"It's normal for the plate and phone to get warm, and they may get even warmer if you use your phone to, for example, stream music while charging"
"Make sure the plate doesn't get too hot. If the plate is too warm, take your phone off the plate, and switch the plate off. The plate may switch off automatically if it is too hot. When the plate has cooled down, try charging again"

To me it sounds like the plate isn't meant to be used for long periods of time due to heat. This in turn probably overheats the phone, and as many people have mentioned, phone shuts/locks itself. Ive noticed it does heat up alot, and after some time, the indicator light starts to flash as if a response to the heat. I hope theres a fix for this, it'll be a shame not to be able to charge safely for long periods of time.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
To me it sounds like the plate isn't meant to be used for long periods of time due to heat. This in turn probably overheats the phone, and as many people have mentioned, phone shuts/locks itself. Ive noticed it does heat up alot, and after some time, the indicator light starts to flash as if a response to the heat. I hope theres a fix for this, it'll be a shame not to be able to charge safely for long periods of time.

I have a couple times now only set my phone on the charger for a few minutes to have the phone lock up 5-10 minutes later while it's in my pocket. Mine also does not get very warm. I did a full charge on it at work and checked it every 15 minutes and never have I felt it gotten to be too warm.

To read all the posts here of folks having issues and then a good population not this is now leading me to believe it's faulty hardware or design.

I've reached out to Nokia and MS yet again to see what kind of solution they offer. The wireless charger is one of the reasons I wanted this phone.

CyCl0n3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Im truely dissapointed to hear that. I was hoping for that too.
That was one of the main reasons for me aswell to get this Phone.
Mine doesnt get war either. What buffles me that it works thought in Offline mode.
Did Nokia say anything to this problem so far?

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Haven't gotten a response yet. I replied back to them this morning so hopefully once they all get in (Not sure what time zone they are in) I should hear back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon