Wifi/Bandwidth problems

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey I just got my Lumia 920 this week and everything seems ok so far, accept the bandwidth I have when connected to wifi. At home I have a 25+mbit connection with a good WRT54G router. When doing a speed test on my wired desktop I usually achieve 25mbits or higher. When trying it on my Lumia (which it seems there are no REAL "speedtest.net" apps out there) I get very high ping (140ms) and 8-10mbits download speed. I have used 3 different bandwidth testing apps...all of which range from 8-18mbits. I have a laptop that achieves 23+mbits when connected to my wifi. In all circumstances I am right next to the router for testing purposes. Is this a software or hardware issue with the phone? It is really important to me to know what kind of bandwidth I am getting on wifi and through 4G. I appreciate any help. I have tried searching this topic and all I get are bogus results about wireless charging.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine the 920 is optimised.for effeciency not speed.

Why do you need every single mb on the phone? Are you streaming 1080p or something?
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

ggrandchamp

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Its not that, its the download speed for apps and such take longer than they should on wifi. Also skype to skype over Laptop to phone in the house over the same wifi has connectivity issues with being slow (Why? to be tested)

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Is your desktop connected via wifi? I ask because our connection is rated 50 megabit and with wifi (mobile devices, PC, Mac) we get about 25 megabit. As soon as I plugged in the ethernet I was consistently getting 65 megabit and peaking at 72 megabit. I was shocked, to say the least. My pings, however, don't seem to suffer one bit via wifi, which I also find strange, because one would think ping would suffer worse than actual down/up speed.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My initial post says that my wired desktop gets 25mbits, and my laptop connected wirelessly gets 23mbits.

SnailUK: I fail to see how your post contributes to anything. What you are saying is completely besides the point, and YES I need a lot of bandwidth for what I do.

I am likely ditching the phone this weekend by returning it and going back to my 3 year old dumbphone. It is unacceptable for a $700 device to not perform up to standards. Wednesday I was in a public wifi spot that has 17mbits upload (verified with my laptop) and the phone was maxing out at 7mbits upload.

I have also had terrible battery life with the phone. It overheats and a 20 minute phone call took 30% of the battery. The phone barely lasts during my 9 hour shift at work. Once again, this is unacceptable for a $700 device.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone is wondering, I returned the POS Lumia I got and went back to my 3 year old dumbphone. Haven't looked back since. Glad to not be constantly messing with a smartphone and trying to get the settings right and making sure the damn thing doesn't die before I get home from work.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy your dumb phone....WP8 isn't for everyone. Hope to see you back soon....maybe when Skype is out of beta :)

I came back!! Just couldn't stay away... :(
I realized WP8 is more of a beta operating system, and Android is just too damn ugly and iOS is too damn expensive.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I came back!! Just couldn't stay away... :(
I realized WP8 is more of a beta operating system, and Android is just too damn ugly and iOS is too damn expensive.

oh wow its been a while!
welcome!
ironically I've found WP8 to be the most reliable and polished, Android the most functional and customizable, and iOS is... well... Apple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon