02-27-2013 10:04 AM
50 12
tools
    Icy - The battery in the 920 is MUCH bigger than the iPhone. I've had the same battery issues as you with my iPhone5, but I really have no choice but to deal with it.

The Lumia is a different story. The iPhone battery is too small, but the Lumia has a great battery - two different issues. I honestly believe there are some bugs in the mail sync process (specifically for gmail) as well as some apps that aren't fully compatible (not yet updated) with windows Phone 8 on the Lumia. I honestly expect these to be resolved quickly.

I don't have any issues, but I think it's because I don't use gmail, nor Nokia drive. I use Nokia music a LOT, but I get OUTSTANDING battery life. It seems the issues are related to some apps getting caught in a loop and just burning up. Again, I think this will be fixed. The iPhone however, the battery is just too damned small ... it will be fixed with the iPhone 5S hopefully and the 5 will be forgotten as an unfortunate mistake.
    Yeah, a lot of that is very true. I could deal with some of the battery issues but what I won't deal with is the freezing and the phone shutting itself off and not restarting unless I give it a hard reset
    12-08-2012 11:10 AM
    I agree with above .i emailed elop and he set me up with a new cyan 920 which was shipped. I just hope that doesn't have any issues or I'm done. My first phones battery. Only lasted 2-3 hours ,my second is much better but it gets hot when making calls.an 8 minute phone call can burn through 8-12% battery, then being on the web makes the phone hot but games and streaming video work great. Microsoft and Nokia should have just waited until January to release the os and phone
    Last edited by joeynox; 12-09-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    12-08-2012 11:11 AM
    Heading out now. I will give an update on how the new phone performs.
    12-08-2012 12:18 PM
    pull the charger out and plug it back in again.
    12-08-2012 12:35 PM
    The 920 battery needs to be drained a lot. In 5 days, the battery will reach its full potential.
    12-08-2012 12:59 PM
    I wasn't impressed with battery life the first few days. But letting it charge overnight a few times (wall charger) and now the battery life is far better than I even expected. However, the battery gauge is now like my fuel gauge in my truck. It shows full for a long time before it finally starts to move.

As far "soft resets", I haven't been required any. But even if a couple per week were needed, I wouldn't fret. In network admin world that would still be 99% uptime. 😊
    12-08-2012 01:40 PM
    I had to do a few soft resets when my phone was new. Once on the first day. Maybe once on the 2nd day.

It's been fine for about 2 weeks since then.

I have no idea why.
    12-08-2012 01:54 PM
    Thank you. This actually worked. Now what would be more helpful is if you or anyone else could tell me why this may have happened. I mean I just bought the phone yesterday
    Seems to be an intermittent issue. My white Lumia 920 has not had a freeze or needed a soft reset till now (1 week till now) Also depends on how hard you are pushing it I guess. I have been using a few apps like FB, next gen reader, photos, Nokia drive, and havent see anything so far. BTW I think you made the right choice. The phone absolutely rocks. I havent had this much fun using a smartphone for a long time. I recently switched from a 4S.
    12-08-2012 04:14 PM
    The update on this is that the replacement is giving me NO issues that I can see thus far. No battery issues or shutting itself off which were my concerns before. Strange thing, they sent me that free wireless charge kit for the phone, but it doesn't actually charge the phone. Maybe I placed it on the plate wrong?
    12-16-2012 11:42 AM
    When you buy a phone you have to drain it to full 0 and charge it to full 100 3times, then your battery is way better, I did this with every phone and Lumia 800 and I didn't have to charge them every night, my Lumia 800 now hold 1day and 15h at least battery saver shows it, after normal use of it(a lot of calls, some web surfing, games and sms) at night I have about 30percent of battery.Try it.
    12-16-2012 12:32 PM
    I have the same issue and other people too like described in this Topic:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...tm#post1815091

Every night i put it on charging Pad and in the morning its dead and i only can rewake it by pressing volume down + on/off button.
    Then i have to put date and time again. Very annoying. Yesterday and otherdays i put it into flight mode during the night and it DID NOT FREEZE OR DIE at all.
    So basically i have to but it into Flight mode everyday before i go to sleep otherwise it will switch off and only be wakable with soft reset. :(
    12-16-2012 01:07 PM
    When you buy a phone you have to drain it to full 0 and charge it to full 100 3times, then your battery is way better, I did this with every phone and Lumia 800 and I didn't have to charge them every night, my Lumia 800 now hold 1day and 15h at least battery saver shows it, after normal use of it(a lot of calls, some web surfing, games and sms) at night I have about 30percent of battery.Try it.
    This is not true.
    12-16-2012 02:18 PM
    The update on this is that the replacement is giving me NO issues that I can see thus far. No battery issues or shutting itself off which were my concerns before. Strange thing, they sent me that free wireless charge kit for the phone, but it doesn't actually charge the phone. Maybe I placed it on the plate wrong?
    The side of the plate with the circle and Nokia face up. The small light opposite the cord end of plate only lights up when your phone is sensed unfortunately, so there's no way to tell if the coil in plate is working unless your phone is charging. Place the phone length wise, glass side up and the light remains constant until phone is fully charged. The phone makes a unique sound at start of charging each time its placed on the charger and unique sound if removed and not placed back on charger within a few seconds. If the phone is not aligned on the charger properly, such as laying short side on charger, the two sounds will alternate and the charger light does not appear.

Hopefully you didn't get a dud.
    12-16-2012 03:01 PM
    Maybe the plate doesn't work. It does charge more slowly than when plugged in. Does the phone make a sound when you put it on the plate? You should see a little plug icon flash over the battery icon when its on the plate. There is really no 'trick' to it, it should just work. Mine works great and it almost feels ridiculous that all phones don't have wireless charging.
    12-16-2012 06:42 PM
    Maybe the plate doesn't work. It does charge more slowly than when plugged in. Does the phone make a sound when you put it on the plate? You should see a little plug icon flash over the battery icon when its on the plate. There is really no 'trick' to it, it should just work. Mine works great and it almost feels ridiculous that all phones don't have wireless charging.
    It's possible the plate doesn't work. I'm almost afraid to try again because I've read nightmares on this forum alone about people charging with the wireless kit and their phone begin to give them problems.
    12-17-2012 10:49 AM
    This is not true.
    I did what this guy say and i have longer battery life. so what is not true? what color of nokia lumia 920 you have?
    12-27-2012 05:53 AM
    It's possible the plate doesn't work. I'm almost afraid to try again because I've read nightmares on this forum alone about people charging with the wireless kit and their phone begin to give them problems.
    just got my charging plate, didn't seems to have any problem at all.. what color is your charging plate n what color is your nokia lumia 920?
    12-27-2012 05:54 AM
    With brand new phones you should charge it at least 24 hours from the wall power outlet. Also this random reboot shutdown thing, is it an At&T firmware problem? Folks in Europe don't seem to report as much. My 920 has been solid so far.
    Welcome to 2012, this is no longer even suggested from the manufacturers. This was a case with NimH batteries, not Li-ion or LiPo batteries.

But, I havnt had any issues like this on my Lumia 920, if it makes a difference it's an unlocked 920 from Finland, Europe.

Nor did it take me several days of usage for the battery to start working normally. I've had very good battery life from the start that hasnt radically changed anywhere.
    12-27-2012 06:03 AM
    This is not true.
    Yes it is true, but not in the way we're used to. The battery itself seems to be fine, but the representation of the battery from a software side seems to incorrect. When I first got my Lumia I could watch the battery drain. In fact, for the first 3 days I charged it 5 times. But then one day I let it die, and then I let it sit. An hour later I came back and tried powering it on. It turned on. I played games for nearly 4 more hours until it finally gave me a warning and then not even 2 seconds later powered off "Goodbye". I then charged it fully overnight and have never had a battery issue since.

So it seems there is something in the software which is overcautious with the battery.
    12-27-2012 11:24 AM
    Had to res this thread. The replacement I got has been good to me for three months, until now. The phone just turned itself off and I had to do a soft reset. Truly odd, battery was at 78% and picked up to send a txt...BOOM...phone won't respond. Very frustrating. :(

Is it recommended that you restart your phone from time to time?
    02-26-2013 07:18 PM
    Those that are saying its a software issue are speaking out of their ***.

My replacement lumia with the same software doesnt have this problem.

Get it replaced, or go for the htc 8x
    02-26-2013 08:04 PM
    If it happens again I'll do just that.
    02-26-2013 08:31 PM
    Yes it is true, but not in the way we're used to. The battery itself seems to be fine, but the representation of the battery from a software side seems to incorrect. When I first got my Lumia I could watch the battery drain. In fact, for the first 3 days I charged it 5 times. But then one day I let it die, and then I let it sit. An hour later I came back and tried powering it on. It turned on. I played games for nearly 4 more hours until it finally gave me a warning and then not even 2 seconds later powered off "Goodbye". I then charged it fully overnight and have never had a battery issue since. So it seems there is something in the software which is overcautious with the battery.
    That's interesting. And good luck to OP.
    02-26-2013 09:15 PM
    From my experience with new Lumia 920. You won't have good battery in first couple days. It will get better after that.
    02-26-2013 11:15 PM
    From my experience with new Lumia 920. You won't have good battery in first couple days. It will get better after that.
    Same herem it gets alot better after 4-5 days and now I can get 8-11 hours under extreme use! Love this phone to death, so solid and love the camera and camcorder
    02-27-2013 10:04 AM
50 12