Crazy battery drain outta nowhere :(

jayrum76

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I had horrible battery issues that made it impossible to last the day. I read around different forums for causes. I have great results now with my Bluetooth, WiFi on at all times. The trick for me was controlling location service within different apps. The biggest culprit is the Bing search. I also disabled it for IE. In addition the these changes I turned off NFC. Today after a full charge, I watched an entire downloaded movie, browse the internet about an hr total, stream WFAN sports radio bout 10min and listen to a 35m downloaded podcast. 16hr and 23min later since full charge I'm at 49%. This is absolutely the best battery life I've had for any smartphone I've own (SG2 skyrocket, Samsung Focus, and Htc Titan). I went from severely disappointed to in awe of this phone.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
Battery bug hit me too. After just 8 hours, I probably had less than 30% left. Barely used the phone (maybe four short phone calls the entire time). I have Bluetooth, NFC, and WiFi left on, but haven't had any issues until recently. There's definitely a power drain issue going on. I hope they find it and patch it.

SpidermanXP7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This drain is getting bad. I went from 100% to 12% in 8hr of light use. it seems to come and go for me with some days being good and others being bad. I did not have any problems until a few days ago, prior to that I could do a whole day and still have over 50% of my battery left.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad my phone isn't the only one. If this is happening without updating or anything maybe it's something happening on microsoft's end? Maybe the servers went down and the phones kept attempting to send info to them? Dunno' but that's the only thing I could come up with.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
my drain occured only when I get to my work place whereby the 3g reception is poor and I believe my phone is probably doing a lot of hard work trying to connect and disconnect to 3g. It resolved when I turn off data connection.

however, I still get battery drain on browsing. In 2 hours of browsing, I lose around 50% battery charge (in an area with good reception) and it gets rather warm to touch.

MaxPower203

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
After 13 days with this phone, I am now experiencing the rapid power drain. I was at 98% when I used Bing search on a song I was hearing on the radio. It took about 15 seconds to recognize the song and when it was done, my battery was at 90%.

I then listened to some MP3's and after about 60 minutes, my battery was at 79%. I ate dinner and watched a couple of shows (90 minutes worth) and my battery went down to 41%! Nothing was running. All tasks were closed. Yet the top of the phone was hot. Something was going on inside.

I started writing this post when the battery was at 39% and the phone is already down to 21%. WTF?

SpidermanXP7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Update: Today I left for work at 98%, turned off Bluetooth, wifi, NFC, and data. Every background app is blocked. I checked the phone 5 hrs later with no use and it was at 27%, I turned battery saver on and checked it again in 2 hours it was dead. This is not at the point where it is unusable. I love this phone but a fix is needed.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I really wish there was a log to show what is happening. Just something you could switch on and see what the phone is doing.

yaoye78

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Similar things happened to me 3 times. One of them is caused by Skype (When Skype is the problem, your phone will have problem syncing your main email account), the other two are caused by Facebook app (both times I stayed a couple of hours in my doctor's office where no cell signal, no wifi available. I am guessing somehow facebook app went into infinite loop in syncing)

Anyway, try to uninstall Skype and Facebook, then restart your phone (soft restart is enough). This would solve the battery draining issue that are caused by these two apps.

Update: Today I left for work at 98%, turned off Bluetooth, wifi, NFC, and data. Every background app is blocked. I checked the phone 5 hrs later with no use and it was at 27%, I turned battery saver on and checked it again in 2 hours it was dead. This is not at the point where it is unusable. I love this phone but a fix is needed.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Try rebooting. Recently I had two consecutive days of subpar battery life (disabling background tasks didn't help) and so just tried rebooting and the battery life came back normal. It seems like something in OS, app or HW got in a bad state that drained battery faster than normal, even when idle. One thing I did a lot during those two days was to try out a bunch of new apps. Maybe it has something to do with it? Anyhow, rebooting fixed it. Coming from WP7, I never reboot my phone but it looks like L920 could use occasionally reboots (maybe daily in the morning?) for smoother operation. Hopefully the new update fixes this.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I for some reason noticed significant battery drain after installing the locksider app, don't know if it was trying over and over again to grab images or what but after un-installing it set my battery back to its normal lifespan..
At first I thought it was the lockslider app as well so I uninstalled it. my phone lasted for one day then the battery drain started again.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Try to disable contact between microsoft servers and your phone. Maybe this is just due to some of the servers being down and the phone attempting to contact them.

csudvm2003

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me today, too. Almost a complete drain at work with it on idle the entire day. The only recent change was the extras+info update (version 1.6.1.62 now). I've tried rebooting a couple times with no real luck. I'm going to drain it all/most of the way (at 28% now when I'd usually be at 92%) and see if a recharge helps.

newfiend

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a small theory on the battery drain issue. I could be completely off base here.. but I wonder if this may be what is happening. Let me know your thoughts.

I have multiple apps installed on my phone. I noticed that prior to installing apps that have background tasks or location services, that the battery would last a very long time. After installing some apps that use background tasks or location services that the battery drain issue seems to rear its ugly head.

I wonder if there is some kind of bug in the WP8 OS that allows the apps that run background tasks / Location services to continue to loop in the background trying to connect and update when they can't (phone locked and Wi-Fi disabled). I have tried disabling all my background tasks, turning off NFC etc. and I still seem to get the draining battery issue. It's like something is stuck looping in the background draining the battery.

Now I know that MS has an update coming soon that enables you to keep Wi-Fi alive... I wonder once that update gets pushed out and these apps that are looping in the background can finally update if the battery drain issue will resolve itself as it will finally be able to connect and complete its task and stop the looping (continuously trying to complete.)

This is just a theory.. And Like I said I could be completely wrong,. but I am curious if the upcoming update fixes this issue.
newfiend~

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes