Battery went from 100% to 42% in 6 hours with light usage. Normal?

Andy Barker

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree with the uninstalling apps. In this day and age you would have thought or hoped it would just work. But i guess its all new win8 and the phones.. IPhones too had major issues when they first came out. Several year down the road and they have ironed out most of the issues. Microsoft and Nokia will sort it out it just going to take a bit of time. I was happy in uninstalling to save battery for now. Can i ask what prompted you to get the l920 and what's the best thing about it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree with the uninstalling apps. In this day and age you would have thought or hoped it would just work. But i guess its all new win8 and the phones.. IPhones too had major issues when they first came out. Several year down the road and they have ironed out most of the issues. Microsoft and Nokia will sort it out it just going to take a bit of time. I was happy in uninstalling to save battery for now. Can i ask what prompted you to get the l920 and what's the best thing about it.

The camera is what prompted me. Plus the fact that an iPhone today is the same as an iPhone 4 years ago.... i.e. the technology is stuck in a rut. Was looking for something new.

From a battery stat graph, most power is used when the phone is on (web browsing/in a call etc). I see a 1.5% / hour overnight usage when idle, but up to 20%/hour during day. Any ideas?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine is being somewhat finicky as well. Also, since the Portico update, my GPS/location icon is visible in the status bar EVERY TIME I unlock my phone, and sometimes it takes minutes to go away. The only app I have that's allowed to run in the background is Accu Weather, but even if I block it, the icon is still there when I unlock my phone. I've turned find my phone off and it still shows. No other apps are set to use location services. Turning on airplane mode, rebooting and disabling location and then turning it back on does not fix the issue. Not sure what's causing it, but I am positive this was not the case before I updated.

Andy Barker

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The camera is what prompted me. Plus the fact that an iPhone today is the same as an iPhone 4 years ago.... i.e. the technology is stuck in a rut. Was looking for something new.

From a battery stat graph, most power is used when the phone is on (web browsing/in a call etc). I see a 1.5% / hour overnight usage when idle, but up to 20%/hour during day. Any ideas?

Have you tried running the battery down till.the phone goes.off then charge it. Also.what battery app you using.

Like you i was fed up of apple and not going forward but standing still. Nokia and Microsoft are moving forward.

vinnyvv

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My 4th lumia 920. The other 3 Lumias batteries were great but had other issues. This 4th one drains really fast, i installed portico right out of the box, probably shouldve checked the battery out first with the old software. 79 to 62% in 12 hours, nothing running at all, mail fetched auto every 2 hours, and didnt touch it at all. And today its draining 2% every 20 minutes. Also today i do a restart and get 10 updates! 9 of them from nokia. call and sms, nokia maps, nokia music, feedback to nokia, nokia city lens, accessories, audio, display + touch, extras and info.
Did any of these updates help you with battery life? Going to monitor the draining today and then install updates one at a time to see if anything helps

Mr37

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I found the culprit app on my phone ... I was using whatsapp and it was sucking the juice out the battery like no one's business. uninstalled, reboot and after two charges ALL seems to be good. 53% left after 17 hours of moderate to light use (3 calls, 13-15 SMS, 10 min youtube, 20 min browsing). I am happy with that.

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Metrotube kills my battery even without using it. I have installed/uninstalled it 3 times and it is very consistent.

ibuyufo

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
After going back to the previous original version of the windows 8 firmware that came with the phone the battery is very good. I have Appdeals, das image, gas buddy nokia drive+ beta and yelp allowed in background task, wifi on, bluetooth on, and location service I still have 72% battery after 17 hours. I've been using the phone moderately throughout the day using Yelp, checking email, and maybe about 5 minutes of youtube.

fraddy

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
this might be done on purpose (providing a medium-capacity battery and allowing it to bleed energy fast) as more frequent and shorter discharge-recharge cycles limit battery life and force consumers to buy new batteries/phones creating more income for Nokia and Microsoft.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I pretty much see the same thing, meaning that if I play a game or stream music I kill my battery long before the day is out.

anon(5373980)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had similar issue from day one on my 920. Something is getting stuck, (GPS, high CPU, etc) and it chews through the battery until i restart the phone even with all apps closed. My wife has the 820 and does not seem to have this issue.

CptnSqueaky

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried this? It says that the GPS is the culprit. Can anyone verify this?
Nokia Lumia 920 Review | Ubergizmo

Read the section that says "Battery life (excellent, but shut down that GPS!!!)"

Yarrumc

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I had ok battery life before the Portico update. After the update, it seemed to get a lot better. I had a strange issue over the holiday where a couple of days, the battery lasted a half a day. I made sure any battery draining applications were not running in the background. Then as of yesterday, it was normal again. Who knows...

SaabBrat

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I've experienced this issue with my L920 since US release day, on two different handsets (first one bricked upon reset and was replaced under warranty). The issue is random and does seem much better after Portico. I thought maybe it was fixed entirely with the update, but a couple days ago it did it again--took it off the charger in the morning and within a couple hours it was under 50% without any usage.

yangxixi

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Here's my story. Before the Portico update my battery life was ok. It can last about 14-16 hours everyday, with WIFI on, Data off and about 2-4 hours of email checking/web surfing. In the most recent week I am also seeing very fast battery drain with similar usage. There was one time I left the phone in standby at 38% battery and three hours later the phone is off. I'm not sure what happened so I am doing some tests.

I first uninstalled metrotube, gmap, gas buddy and some other apps. But I am still seeing fast battery drains. So here's what I have done afterwards

1. charged the phone full on wireless charger, by the time i went to sleep (1019pm) it was at 100%, and estimated time remaining is 17hours. I turned off wireless and wen to sleep
2. the next morning (802am) I checked the phone again it was still at 100% and 17 hours remaining
3. I turned on wifi and used the phone to check some social feeds and emails, by 815am (13min) the battery was at 98%, though the estimated time remaining becomes 20days 7hours
4. I left WIFI on, but disable all background tasks, and left my phone at standby. by 922am it was 96%, and by 119pm it was 95%, pretty decent.
5. Played with it for about half and hour with WIFI on, at 148pm it was 93%
6. I enabled CNN and Weather Channel in the background tasks and left it in standby. I didn't select the WIFI always on option. The battery becomes 32% at 649pm. I disabled the background tasks but kept WIFI on, battery dropped to 7% at about 10pm. And I started recharging.
7. This morning I went out at 630am, turned off the wifi and the phone was still at 100% at noon. As I look for the screenshots on battery levels, the battery dropped to 99% just now.

I am going to open just weather channel in the background right now and see how it goes. I had the location service for those two apps turned on during that 5 hour 93-32% battery slump yesterday, this time i'll turn off the location and see.

rabc_nesbitt

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Took phone off charge at 06:30. Had bluetooth on and mobile data all day with push mail. Moderate use, with phone calls and a little bit of Facebook. Now 20:30 and battery is at 67%

I can live with that. It does seem to get better the more times I charge it. I have had the phone 10 days now. UK unlocked variant of phone

vinnyvv

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After going back to the previous original version of the windows 8 firmware that came with the phone the battery is very good. I have Appdeals, das image, gas buddy nokia drive+ beta and yelp allowed in background task, wifi on, bluetooth on, and location service I still have 72% battery after 17 hours. I've been using the phone moderately throughout the day using Yelp, checking email, and maybe about 5 minutes of youtube.

Hey can u tell me how you did this? My battery sucks so bad with portico, i dont know if its the battery or the update because i installed it right away when i got it. I have a white lumia 920 from att. Please explain how you did this and what firmware to use to go back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes