I believe I solved the 8.1 battery issue. Please read.

shielah

May 18, 2012
Visit site
From what I've heard, with regular use the 920 doesn't get more than 16-20 hours of battery life so plugging it in once per day is probably a good idea.

Sadly compared to the rest of my family and friend, 16 hours would be a god send. My friends Galaxy S4 lasts about 10 hours and my mom's iPhone 5s lasts even less!

The 900 and below series just have tiny batteries. 2k maH is nothing nowadays. However I'm thinking Microsoft "optimized" the phones for being always connected so turning things off actually kills the battery faster for some reason.

Yea well I'd be happy with 10 hrs a day...i don't have anything running in background but battery saver and that's all that's allowed

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
​Battery issue has been resolved (nokia 920) with the latest update for developers. Before the upgrade the battery was gone when I was using waze or here maps, even if the smartphone was pluged.

I always found waze to be a heavy battery eater even before WP8.1 update....as long as I don't use it it's fine

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried that app and found that it used more battery while using it much the same as all the other battery apps out there but there are a few that don't use much battery at all.

Also your using a 1520 which has a huge battery, with my 1520 I get between 10 and 13 hours actual screen on time over 3-4 days between charges. From a full charge my 1520 will go to 99% within an hour or so and with moderate use it would be around 80-85% after 24 hours.

What do you call moderate usage?

I have location
Bluetooth on
WiFi on
18 apps always allowed with 10 live tiles
Glance set to peak
Double tap on
WiFi sense off
Cortana always on

I use 2-3% per hour battery when on the web using mobile versions of the sites

I use 7-9% per hour battery when on the desktop versions of the sites.

During idle it is a constant 0.2-0.3% per hour.

The last update didn't change anything.

That's incredible battery life! Idle of .2-.3% per hour is insane! I hope I can get my battery to last that long eventually.

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Yea well I'd be happy with 10 hrs a day...i don't have anything running in background but battery saver and that's all that's allowed

That might be why your battery is dying so fast. With battery saver on, my phone was dying in less than five hours. I feel like I need to specify that every other line in my main post.

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
All this is rehashing everything ever written about WP battery life with the exception of now some folks are running 8.1 . And very long winded. All this turning things on and off is ridiculous.

Battery Saver does not save your battery.............until you are down to 15% (??? default). Otherwise it does nothing. At that point it turns off functions it deems not necessary to just keep your phone on. No wifi? Well, doh. Keep the wifi on, no saving of battery.

It's a known fact that the WP OS uses the battery over a very wide range, just sitting on idle. My 810 is always on wifi, always on 4G (the 2G only option uses less juice), five minute display on time if I don't close it down first. Sometimes it uses less than 1% an hour, i.e., more than four days standby. More typically, 2-4%/hr. Sometimes 10% and more. All just up and down, no obvious reason. Sometimes a reboot fixes the battery drain.

I use the Battery Sense app. I think it was a buck. It nicely graphs the use and life. As of this moment, .7% an hour, five plus days to go on standby.

That's the long and short of it. Nobody has fixed anything yet that I can see.

You didn't read anything at all, did you? With Wi-fi on, my battery lasts longer than with wi-fi off. What I've fixed, is that when battery saver was on and airplane mode was on, my phone lasted less than 5 hours. With battery saver off and airplane mode off, my phone has lasted over 32 hours with 40% battery life left. It's long winded because I did a lot of studying over about three days so far and these are my findings. Other people have managed to replicate my results so it's not just an issue with my phone. Turning battery saver on seems to be draining the battery faster.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't buy it. Battery saver on or off made no difference at all. What does make the difference on my 520 is turning the wifi off. No power drain what so ever when it's on stand by. Any all this is pointless. We have to wait for the new firmware from nokia.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't buy it. Battery saver on or off made no difference at all. What does make the difference on my 520 is turning the wifi off. No power drain what so ever when it's on stand by. Any all this is pointless. We have to wait for the new firmware from nokia.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

You don't have to "Buy" anything. I'm doing this for free.

It's not just battery saver on or off that is causing issues, it's a combination of things. I posted all the settings on the initial post. All the apps I used are free except for Amazing weather HD, and you can just replace that with any other weather application.

Once my 1520 dies, I'll post pictures of ALL my settings used to drain the battery, and all the settings used to get a long battery life while keeping things like GPS and wi-fi on.

I've had GPS, LTE, and Wi-fi on for over 30 hours now and my phone still has 40% battery left with battery saver off.

When I had my phone with battery saver on, wi-fi off, cellular data off, and GPS off, my battery went from 100% to dead in less than five hours. I was able to recreate this experiment twice.

EwingMCSE

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with the Battery Saver comments. I've found my battery performance seems worse with Battery Saver on.

I haven't had any crazy battery drain/overheats since the update so that's a good sign.

CernT

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I am very new to WP. For Android there are analyzing tools like BetterBatteryStats. With this tool you will find very quick the source of the battery drain. Don't know if there's something similar for WP. I would recommend for testing only stock apps for some days without 3rd party apps. But without an analyzing tool it's very difficult to find the reason of a battery drain.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to "Buy" anything. I'm doing this for free.

It's not just battery saver on or off that is causing issues, it's a combination of things. I posted all the settings on the initial post. All the apps I used are free except for Amazing weather HD, and you can just replace that with any other weather application.

Once my 1520 dies, I'll post pictures of ALL my settings used to drain the battery, and all the settings used to get a long battery life while keeping things like GPS and wi-fi on.

I've had GPS, LTE, and Wi-fi on for over 30 hours now and my phone still has 40% battery left with battery saver off.

When I had my phone with battery saver on, wi-fi off, cellular data off, and GPS off, my battery went from 100% to dead in less than five hours. I was able to recreate this experiment twice.

Different phones, different results. Battery saver on or off made no difference on my phone. The phone is has been at 100% all day today with battery saver turned on and wifi turned off.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
That's incredible battery life! Idle of .2-.3% per hour is insane! I hope I can get my battery to last that long eventually.

To give you an idea of what I get on my 1520 and that was after about 6 hours of screen on time.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140504_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140504_0001.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

shielah

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay I turned off battery saver in the background only thing that is on is Wi-Fi at home, which is most of the time. Fully charged, soft rest after fully charged, installed battery performance and have gone from 100-75% in 3 hours... And that's mostly in idle last hour...idk what gives.. Nothing else running...

Venkat Sudheer

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
You may be right....im using a lumia 520-- when the battery saver is on the battery drained at 2-3% per hour...when i switched it off it drained at 1.2% per hour...this was all when the phone is in standby

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I think it might be tied to bluetooth... I'm not sure will have to check, currently checking if that is true. But what I do know is actually having Bluetooth, Location, Wi Fi and Data On has had the opposite effect as opposing to have any adverse affects on battery life. I am currently listening to mix radio on my laptop streaming via bluetooth on my phone and the battery drain is about 2.37 %.

Where as prior to the update my phone was averaging 4 to 7% on standby with Wi Fi on, Data On and Location + Bluetooth off. If I turned location on (bluetooth off), the battery drain would increase whereas I noticed a slow down in the drain prior to the update when using bluetooth. I thought that was a fluke, but I'm not too sure now.

AgentWhiteBread

May 16, 2014
Visit site
:D I really like the discussions going on here! I have bluetooth so after I update my phone I will have to see how the battery lasts with everything off.

Will6371, I want to make my phone a copy of your phone. That's absolutely incredible!

Here's a final album, I got my phone to last about 52.5 hours before I decided to charge it.

Lumia 1520 Final Update - Imgur

I'll keep poking my head in to watch the discussions and such.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
so this thread is saying that, trying to save battery ends up consuming battery, so we better run our phones carelessly and it will stay on longer?

I honestly didn't get the first post its very cluttered and complicated, can someone explain whats happening in simple words.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital