Unable to install Lumia 920 Driver in XP SP3

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to install the Lumia 920 driver for WIndows XP SP3? When I plugged the phone, it will prompt to search for drivers. But it couldn't find it.
But, on My Computer, it showed as MTP Device and when I clicked on it, there are few folders just like what I expected, such as: Ringtones, Pictures, etc.

Is it supposed to be like this? As I've searched the net and found that it will show up like a USB Mass Storage Device, just like when we plug-in a thumb drive.

Last edited:

Omega Point

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
It is supposed to show up as an MTP device not a Mass Storage Device. On XP as for as I know you don't need any drivers for MTP devices if you have Windows Media Player 10+ installed.

JurayiBkk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm using XP SP3 on VMWare, I can install all drivers normally. First of all, you may need to install Nokia Care Suite then accessing to Nokia folder - driver folder will be there. After that install one by one, only x86 files only. Restart once. good luck

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah ummmmm. XP is like 11+ years old. Think its about time to buy Windows 7 or 8.
Yeah, it's pretty old. Hahaha.. XP is for Windows Mobile. I just haven't found a proper replacement yet as I'm quite picky when buying gadget.

It is supposed to show up as an MTP device not a Mass Storage Device. On XP as for as I know you don't need any drivers for MTP devices if you have Windows Media Player 10+ installed.
Thanks for the enlightenment. After I read about the MTP, somehow it has some advantages over Mass Storage Mode. The main drawback, if I read it correctly, is slower transfer speed compared to Mass Storage Mode.

I'm using XP SP3 on VMWare, I can install all drivers normally. First of all, you may need to install Nokia Care Suite then accessing to Nokia folder - driver folder will be there. After that install one by one, only x86 files only. Restart once. good luck
Thanks for the information. Will download it later as the file size quite big.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to install the Lumia 920 driver for WIndows XP SP3? When I plugged the phone, it will prompt to search for drivers. But it couldn't find it.
But, on My Computer, it showed as MTP Device and when I clicked on it, there are few folders just like what I expected, such as: Ringtones, Pictures, etc.

Is it supposed to be like this? As I've searched the net and found that it will show up like a USB Mass Storage Device, just like when we plug-in a thumb drive.

This is how it is for me.. And I'm on Windows 8

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
There aren't any drivers for XP. I've already tried as they use XP at my workplace. Don't bother installing Zune either, it won't work

mop#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, and thought I'd join in this thread. For those wiseacres who say "just upgrade your OS," that's not an option in my workplace. I can connect the phone at home without problems, but I would like to connect at work as well where XP is "standardized." So finding an actual solution to the problem is more helpful.

Here's what I've discovered/my theories:

This seems to be an MTP problem/conflict of some sort. I used to be able to connect my Samsung Focus for a while, then it stopped working. The device is recognized, but the drivers will not load. Most of the advice online seems to be related to more modern OSes, so some of the fix it tools will not work in XP. What I'm looking for is a way to uninstall/disable all previous MTP devices or start from a clean MTP setup. I have tried to repair the MTP installation with the MTP porting kit from Microsoft (Download Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit from Official Microsoft Download Center) but that didn't work. I've also gone through the registry looking for entries from Samsung, Sansa, and RIMM/Blackberry (I support a lot of other users).

So if anyone has any ideas to generically "reset" the MTP configuration, I'd appreciate it.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I just had to lol this comment, XP.......You and Govt entities are reason XP is still around, just let it die for peets sake, sheeessshh.

elwea

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

Solve my problem Installing this drivers

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Good Luck!

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
XP needs SP3 and Windows Media Player 11 to come up with the drivers for the phone. The phone should be in the device manager as a portable device and two USB devices.
You should see the phone in windows explorer with five folders, music videos, pictures, ringtones.and documents.
Turn the phone all the way off and connect it to the PC. The phone will turn on because it is being charged and be detected by the system. Wait and let all drivers load.
You will get an error about not finding software. Ignore this and let it finish.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes