920 Suddenly Unstable

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Just recently my 920 started acting a little crazy. Its a red ATT unit I have had since the release. When I attempt to open an app(email, wireless settings, people hub, ect.) many times it will just go to a black screen sometimes with the clock displayed at the top, sit on that screen for what feels like an eternity and then revert to the main screen. It will do this over and over until I restart the device. I tried removing any programs I had recently installed that didn't help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated I'm restarting the 920 about 5 times a day :/ its been flawless till this point I love this phone.

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If you're tech savvy, pop the screen out which has all the internals behind it and pop out the battery and back in. If you're not, back your stuff up and do a factory reset through recovery mode. Usually works better than a standard factory reset.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...can prob handle either of those just fine....why does this happen? Did I do something? Thanks for the advice.

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Just seems to me as if Nokia can't really handle good hardware, unlike HTC. I have no problems with my HTC 8x.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Well that's the first issue I've had with it in nearly four months. Although a major issue it seems as though all is much better now and the reset really wasn't that bad. Even though I did initially stall the phone and then had to go through the process outlined here:
Tip: How to fix a bricked Nokia Lumia 920 | Windows Phone Central
I have a feeling this is more software related than hardware related. I will say I do push my phone very hard and coming from the mess that is Android have been very impressed with my 920. My co workers have I-phones and are constantly asking what phone I have and why it works so fast. If the reset wasn't as simple as it was, even with the recovery I had to do I wouldn't stick with this phone. For now I'm mildly annoyed but knowing that the grass is much less green on the other side of the fence I'll make do and have faith that Nokia will fix the issue.
Thanks again everyone for all your help :)

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If I could make a suggestion, get a HTC 8x. My Verizon one comes factory unlocked, so I have no problem popping in any sim card and going. Or go to a Verizon store and play with one. It has not failed me yet and I've had it for almost a month and a half mow.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
*sigh* There is always an 8X user attempting to bring a 920 user over *rolls eyes* Makes their purchase more legitimate in their eyes.

To the OP, I'm glad you got everything sorted!

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
HTC all the way. I think their software is a lot better than nokias. But dont get me wrong Nokia is still great.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
In the end I had to take the 920 back to AT&T for a replacement. Still love the 920, nothing against the HTC's but their just not my thing. Both HTC and Nokia have their growing pains to go through and I think their both doing great jobs. Sorry HTC guys your little girly phones aren't my thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon