any fixes for 920 battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed, when I use Nokia Maps (display always on) in the car, even with the charger connected, it drains the battery like an open spigot. I am not happy about that. At least with my iPhone I could run MotionX Drive with a charger and still have it charge up. I just bought a 900 mA USB charger, but it doesn't seem to be any different than the 300 mA USB charger I started with. I have one other option to try, but I doubt it will be any better.

Just try Nokia DC-20 (2 x 1000 mA), because there is a big difference, in practice, with different car USB chargers (even they might look the same, with the same output number) ...

Nokia Dual USB Charger DC-20 - - Nokia - UK

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi! All,
I want to know one thing, when i connect to wifi then technically data connection should be swithced off it's own as there is connection to data through wifi but i never see it happening.. wifi and cellular data(3g) both remains connected. so actually it uses which data bearer??? and maybe this is one cause of battery drain as well. Is it a bug or what?
i have never seen in any of my previous phone connecting like this to both connections.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi! All,
I want to know one thing, when i connect to wifi then technically data connection should be swithced off it's own as there is connection to data through wifi but i never see it happening.. wifi and cellular data(3g) both remains connected. so actually it uses which data bearer??? and maybe this is one cause of battery drain as well. Is it a bug or what?
i have never seen in any of my previous phone connecting like this to both connections.
Yup, unfortunately, the phone is connected in both modes. While wifi is available, the cellular data is not used, however, it is connected in data mode. Probably reason for such a design is to keep any data streaming to continue over 3g once the phone is out of wifi zone. I have a great battery life the moment I turn off data mode on my phone, probably lasting two days... but what is the purpose a smartphone without always on data. I felt a smartphone should optimize the resources. Your battery drain is also dependent on how good 3g coverage is in your area. I too had a couple of bad days when I was losing charge really fast as the phone was set to 3g and it was constantly trying to connect to poor 3g network instead of strong 2g network.

Moreover, I guess Whatsapp in the problem in your phone. It continuously streams data to keep itself alive working in the background instead of using push notifications which causes the battery drain. I removed whatsapp and not going to use it till they get rid of audio API's and background streaming.

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Yup, unfortunately, the phone is connected in both modes. While wifi is available, the cellular data is not used, however, it is connected in data mode. Probably reason for such a design is to keep any data streaming to continue over 3g once the phone is out of wifi zone. I have a great battery life the moment I turn off data mode on my phone, probably lasting two days... but what is the purpose a smartphone without always on data. I felt a smartphone should optimize the resources. Your battery drain is also dependent on how good 3g coverage is in your area. I too had a couple of bad days when I was losing charge really fast as the phone was set to 3g and it was constantly trying to connect to poor 3g network instead of strong 2g network.

Moreover, I guess Whatsapp in the problem in your phone. It continuously streams data to keep itself alive working in the background instead of using push notifications which causes the battery drain. I removed whatsapp and not going to use it till they get rid of audio API's and background streaming.
i don't think whatsapp is any more culprit after their back to back updates.. it works now more efficiently and doesn't work in background apps,i have checked it. It works purely on toast notification system and once you open the app it fetches the messages. there are certain flaws in the OS like this.. when there is toast notification the message should automatically be in app rather than fetching it after you open the app. Yes you are right smartphone should be optimised to work with all features working atleast lasting good 12 hours of heavy usage.

Mark3dyn

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Another update for me: I took my phone off the (wireless) charger yesterday around 6:30 AM, and now as of 4:30 PM the next day, I still have 28% battery life yet. This was the level I was at on Wednesday after only about 6-7 hours, with no real difference in use, other than the changes I mentioned above. I can live with this, just need to know how to keep it that way.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Another update for me: I took my phone off the (wireless) charger yesterday around 6:30 AM, and now as of 4:30 PM the next day, I still have 28% battery life yet. This was the level I was at on Wednesday after only about 6-7 hours, with no real difference in use, other than the changes I mentioned above. I can live with this, just need to know how to keep it that way.

Hi, so only a soft reset? And sorry but I didn't see the cnet video...would you mind posting the link?

Thanks in advance!!!

Mark3dyn

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, so only a soft reset? And sorry but I didn't see the cnet video...would you mind posting the link?

Thanks in advance!!!

Yes, soft reset (not sure exactly what that did) and the suggestions in the Cnet video. The link is in Post #5 on the first page of this thread. Here is the link again. There was one Nokia app that I did turn off in the background, it might have been City Lens or Local Scout, which, I think, was mentioned in the video. That seemed like a likely suspect as it was constantly looking for surrounding information.

CNET How To - Boost battery life on Windows Phone 8 - YouTube

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I know this is one of those 'I left the fridge open and now I have great battery life!' stories, but it's happened enough that I believe it: gMaps pro can empty the battery in my L920 in record time. The worst part: it keeps draining even after I back out of gMaps pro. Even if that's a bug in gMaps, the OS shouldn't allow it. You know, assuming that I'm not imagining all this.

Also: Mark3dyn, your avatar should be an album cover, if it isn't already.

Mark3dyn

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I know this is one of those 'I left the fridge open and now I have great battery life!' stories, but it's happened enough that I believe it: gMaps pro can empty the battery in my L920 in record time. The worst part: it keeps draining even after I back out of gMaps pro. Even if that's a bug in gMaps, the OS shouldn't allow it. You know, assuming that I'm not imagining all this.

Also: Mark3dyn, your avatar should be an album cover, if it isn't already.

That would have been a good album cover when I was in my band in the late 80s/early 90s (electronic/industrial). That is me in my dad's mad scientist lab, probably '69 or '70. It's odd that gMaps seems to make your phone drain, and gMaps seems to not cause me much of a problem at all, Nokia Maps seems to be my battery valve. I still had 20-something % last night when I went to bed, but decided to put it on the charger anyway.

vishalshiva

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
i think i got a fix for this problem..........
i bought lumia 920 7 days ago ...but the battery was going out too fast(i am a heavy mobile user)....
so i got the store from where i bought it ....
this is what i did :-
"1. i discharged the battery to 0 ...means the mobile displayed GOODBYE
2. then i charged it for 8 hours
now it gives me a decent battery life"
the service center people told me that !st time i charge my mobile it should be more than 10 hrs

worked for me ....hope the same happens to you

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I think you will find the apparent differences in battery life is down to the carrier you are on.

If you are 'out and about', and there isn't a phone signal or mast in the vicinity, your phone will be scanning for a signal. This goes up and down all day. This is the major battery drainer. Nothing to do with WP or the apps. Same story with surfing the Web, it's a power hungry task. Do it on Wi-Fi, and you will find lower battery drain than using your data connection.

My Lumia 920 is on EE in the UK. As EE covers 95% of the country, using other carrier's phone masts, the signal is pretty constant and battery drain is lower as the phone is not continually searching for a signal.

I get nearly 2 days with constant use, e-mail push, Live Tile notifications on etc.... Great for ANY phone!!!

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
You know, I have a 2 yr old Razr Maxx I use for work running latest and greatest version of Android 4.1. And Samsung flagship phones get the updates in a timely matter. Maybe not day of release like Nexus devices. I have the latest, greatest Portico on my 920 and its still one to two years behind what my two year old Android will do with its updates that you think it doesn't get. So, what exactly will I be missing Watson? Android will always be two steps ahead of WP even if Samsung phones don't get an update.

Another funny thing. I was over on Android Central today and the first post I found on a SGNote 2 was a battery life post. They weren't complaining, they were praising the battery life. I'm sorry but wp8 and 920 bring far less to the table than Apple and Android had two years ago. Hardware and software.

:shocked:

too funny. Android looks like a child has just thrown everything onto the screen. I will take WP8 over Android and iOS thanks very much. But enjoy your Android device. WP8 is not for everyone obviously.

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi XxNeriahxX,
Do you use a battery app for battery drain, or just let the phone switch off once the battery dies?
I've never done this, that's why.
I too manage pulling off a day, with moderate usage. With constant use, it would last around 3 - 4 hours.

themiki

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I know everyone has a magic app that was killing their battery, and it seems to be different for everyone, but after installing a handful of apps on phone I was experiencing 10 to 20% battery drain per hour in either idle or occasional texting mode. I deleted Rovi this morning and after having been off the charger for over 12 hours with mild use (no talking, a tiny bit of wi-fi web surfing, maybe a dozen texts) I still have 93% of my battery and it's showing 3 days. I haven't heard anyone else mention Rovi in any of these battery drain threads, so just wanted to throw that out there.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The last 24 hours have been quite interesting, to say the least, with my phone.

As usual, around 3pm at work, my phone is nearing the end of a battery cycle. Texting, surfing, streaming, picture taking... I throw it on the charger. Between leaving work, the car and home, it's only off a charger for 5 minutes from the time I put it on to charge, and when it's done. This is usually when I leave work to walk to the car, and the walk from the car into the apartment. So, 3-5 minutes of off charger time before it is FULLY CHARGED. The phone is fully charged within 35-45 minutes. I leave work at 4pm daily, so my drive home, the phone is usually all done.

Once charged, I take it off the charger. Sparingly using the device except for the off text message received and email, the device usually just sits on the table in the hallway until the next morning when the alarms start to go off on it.

I woke up this morning to a stone dead phone. 5:30am. Plugged into the PC, nothing for over 45 minutes. Then it finally registered. The phone then took 2 and half hours to get to fully charged. It was fully charged by 8-8:15am. Very little usage today, and by noon, it was down to 25% with 1 hour estimated time remaining.

So, again, I charged it. Fully charged 2 hours and 10 minutes later.

Here it is, 3:30pm, about 24 hours after my last normal charge, the phone is down to 41% with 2 hours estimated time remaining.

This will be the 3rd phone replacement. Each one for almost the same issue. Rapidly draining battery. I'm debating on taking this right to a store manager to see if there is anything he or she can do for me. I've also written a letter to Nokia AND Microsoft in regards to this issue.

But, before I close... I'll go through the usual...

Wi-Fi is only on when I know I'm around Wi-Fi. There is no open Wi-Fi at work, so I leave it off. NFC is always off, as is Bluetooth. I'm in an area that gets decent cellular service, so my phone isn't constantly dropping a signal in search of a better one. The phone charges to completion, and nothing more. I use my phone for VERY little gaming, web browsing, texting, emails and photography. Nothing aside from the weather runs in the background (but for the sake of testing, I disabled it and have noticed no changes) and I use no navigation service.

[edit: I've tried the "soft-reset" and "hard-reset" methods. Nothing has worked to date, on any of the devices.]

/end

vishalshiva

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
think i got a fix for this problem..........
i bought lumia 920 7 days ago ...but the battery was going out too fast(i am a heavy mobile user)....
so i got the store from where i bought it ....
this is what i did :-
"1. i discharged the battery to 0 ...means the mobile displayed GOODBYE
2. then i charged it for 8 hours
now it gives me a decent battery life"
the service center people told me that !st time i charge my mobile it should be more than 10 hrs

worked for me ....hope the same happens to you

these are the screen shots.....wp_ss_20130402_0001.pngwp_ss_20130402_0009.pngwp_ss_20130402_0010.png

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Leaving the phone charging for eight or even 10 hours isn't necessary because once the phone battery reaches full capacity it will automatically stop charging and not receive any more current until the battery has started to discharge again. This is known as trickle charging and if it's done on a regular basis, it can cause permanent damage to the batteries cells.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I have good battery life, but problem is that my phone reports battery level wrong. I just rebooted phone and battery went from 36% to 88%.

After reboot phone shows battery level corret for few days, but every charge cycle makes phone report level more wrong cradually.

In some point i have to reboot phone again. Otherwise my phone dies in one day even when im not using it. If i let it die out and restart it, there is still plenty of Juice left.

Sent from my yellow Lumia 920 using Board Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes