What to buy? 920 or Samsung Note?

POCKETABLEtech

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Both are really great devices and you can't go wrong with either device, with that being said both phones bring different things to the table. I went from using a Galaxy Note as my daily driver for about a year and then picked up the Lumia 920 which has become my current daily driver and my Galaxy note has been demoted to my at home phablet. After using the Lumia 920 for just a few days I was really impressed with the fluidity of WP8 and how smoothly and well oiled the OS functions. I originally bought the Note cause I was interested in the 5.3inch screen real estate it had to offer however after using the Lumia 920 I realized that a 4.7inch display on the Lumia 920 was more than sufficient for my purpose. Also was caused me to pick up the Lumia 920 was the optics/image stabilization and it still to this day has one of the best cameras on a phone and probably THE best low light photography optics.

I compared both phones at a shop. I like the 920 better actually. But I am very leery of buying it because of
MS's bug-infested track record. Ad I will be really teed off if I spend $500+ dollars on a buggy phone.

I have a very low tolerance for glitches and bugs. The Samsung Note seems to have a smooth track record
& a lot of satisfied users. But I like the look, feel and potential of the 920 better.

As far as bugs and lag are concerned your going to run into that from time to time on any device, but like I said earlier the WP8 OS runs very smoothly and coming from an Android background its what impressed me the most. If you do decide on getting the Galaxy Note I would suggest going with the Note 2 since its faster and more up-to-date then the first, BUT before you make any decisions go and invest more time using each device at the store and learn all the features each phone has to offer and also decide on whether a 5.3inch display is really going to be of value to you or an inconvenience. Lastly play with the cameras on each phone and keep in mind that the Lumia 920 will have better low light performance than the Galaxy Note.

Last edited:

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
For battery and screen, you can't beat the note 2. Battery is 3100 mah; lasts me a day and a half easy

About display, you mean that you can not beat the size of that display ... but for example, Lumia 920 display is clearly better for outside use (sun light readability)

Chaleck

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everybody. I learned a lot shopping for cell phones this time. I've ruled out Lumia though due to MS's announcement about discontinuing WP8 support after July 2014. But the hardware Nokia made is superb. I like the feel, display & look of the 920 better than anything on the market. Microsoft killed this sale - not Nokia.

Windows 8 for PC's is selling worse than Vista. Not a good sign for a guy like me. I keep a cell phone 4 or 5 years - not 18 months.

Windows: It's over | ZDNet

Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed | ZDNet

My wife is crazy about the Note 2 but I'm leery. It seems to invite thieves and pickpockets.

Someone mentioned the Nexus 4 in this thread and that's a good idea if I can find one. I live in SE Asia and they're hard to find. I trust Google to get it right. I already know how to use that phone because it operates like Chrome.

I was favorably inclined to Nokia products but the uncertainty around Windows 8 killed the Lumia for me. They're selling a lot of the lower-end model Lumias where I live though. Maybe that's the plan for MS/Nokia. If it is - that makes sense.

Maybe I'll be back for the Windows 9 roll-out. Thanks for the info.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everybody. I learned a lot shopping for cell phones this time. I've ruled out Lumia though due to MS's announcement about discontinuing WP8 support after July 2014. But the hardware Nokia made is superb. I like the feel, display & look of the 920 better than anything on the market. Microsoft killed this sale - not Nokia.

Windows 8 for PC's is selling worse than Vista. Not a good sign for a guy like me. I keep a cell phone 4 or 5 years - not 18 months.

My wife is crazy about the Note 2 but I'm leery. It seems to invite thieves and pickpockets.

Someone mentioned the Nexus 4 in this thread and that's a good idea if I can find one. I live in SE Asia and they're hard to find. I trust Google to get it right. I already know how to use that phone because it operates like Chrome.

I was favorably inclined to Nokia products but the uncertainty around Windows 8 killed the Lumia for me. They're selling a lot of the lower-end model Lumias where I live though. Maybe that's the plan for MS/Nokia. If it is - that makes sense.

Lol epic troll, couldn't stop laughing, great one buddy ;).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Fair assessment from someone on the outside looking in. I haven't and don't plan to migrate to Windows 8 anytime soon since W7 works perfectly.

From sources all over, Microsoft will stop support for WP8 next year...but that doesn't mean upcoming fw WP8.1 won't be supported...which is considered a major overhaul of the struggling OS.

With that said, you wouldn't want latest FW running on 2 yr old HW anyway as it may not handle it correctly due to constraints (iPhone 4 running iOS6).

Good luck with google\ANDROID. it may be exactly what you're looking for.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
The cheapest way to get a Nexus 4 is to find a friend or relative in the US who can buy and bring one back. But it also launched on the Play Store in Singapore, but I've heard it's very expensive compared to the US price (that's par for the course in SG though ;) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon