Problems connecting Lumia 920 to Home WiFi does not recognize password

jenkinsr99

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I was also having trouble connecting my Nokia 900 with my local network. What worked for me is to delete all known wifi networks, and let then get found again. In wifi settings, tap advanced, and tap the button next to the plus sign, place a check in each network then click delete.

Backspace000

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Like rivierabrian said worked great as a workaround!

I wasn't about to hard reset my wife's 920 again as she is already frustrated with it and I have had to reinstall the firmware myself in the past when MS wouldn't help with the blue screen of death it had on it(yes it had the classic BSOD, they were dumbfounded.) She was also having pretty bad black frozen screen issues right up before ATT finally released Amber for it, which fortunately cleared that issue right up.

So anyways as a workaround to this problem without resetting the phone, I created a WEP guest network with my router and just have her connect to that with her phone. All my other devices including 2 xboxes, 2 laptops, an android tablet, and a Lumia 928 all connect to the main WPA2 SSID and she connects to the guest WEP one.

Good luck!

Mike Langley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I had some issues connecting to my wifi and no matter what I did it wouldn't connect. I read several of the messages hear and I believe first off that the hardware isn't whats bad, I believe somehow the WIFI security key got corrupted and needs to be recreated. To test this theory I changed my router from using strict WPA2 PSK to both WPA PSK and WPA2 PSK, this should work with any of the encryption algorithms you have available just as long as you change it from its current algorithm to another one. I then recreated my WIFI connection and BAM! connected immediately.

The first thing this tells me is that the hardware isn't the problem, however, this doesn't tell me whether its a permanent issue that MS will have to fix with a patch in the WIFI library or just a corrupted key like I think it is.

If my theory is correct then I should now be able to change my router back to WPA2 PSK, delete my wifi connection and reconnect my phone to the router. Sure enough BAM! connected immediately with no issues. This for sure tells me that the key got corrupted and needed to be recreated. I believe this happened a few weeks ago when a firmware update was pushed for the Nokia Lumia 920 and I've been running on LTE this whole time. Thankfully my data plan is about 10 GB, LOL. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

Mike Langley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully you haven't made the stupid mistake of replacing your perfectly fine Windows Phone because of this. Read my post of 11/06/2013 of how to fix this issue.

Bipin Ambre

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I too have the same problem with my 820. And its so similar i felt as if someone read out my problem.
Could you find the solution.
Pls suggest if you have

bipin

x_Shadow_x

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
1 - You just need to swich off the WIFI.
2 - Remove the from advance settings the name of your Wifi connection.
3 - Then put your phone to charge.
4 - Swich on the Wifi and connect to your network.

Bipin Ambre

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
THanks for the reply. My wifi does not even feature in the known networks anymore. It shows up when i switch my wi-fi on from my fone, but when i tap on the wifi name it asks for password, and when i input the password it says Incorrect password, but if i do the same with someone elses fone, like i tried on blackberry and samsung it immediately connects. So unfortunately at home too i end up consuming my service providers 3g data packet.

bipin, India

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I haven't had this problem, but I'll offer up some info on my config in case this helps anyone.

Router - NetGear R6250
  • SSID is set to broadcast
  • Access Control List (ACL) is turned on - see below
  • 2.4 GHz Channel = Auto
  • 5.0 GHz Channel = set to a specific value as auto is not available
  • Encryption is set at WPA2-PSK - see below

ACL is a pain to maintain at times, but it isn't too often I add a new WiFi device to the network that I need to plug the MAC address in for. BUT there are times that when I do have to add a device; even if I have already pre-loaded the MAC for the new device, I have to disabled ACL for the new device to connect. Using the ACL keeps my paranoia at bay and when friends come over, I can quickly enable a Guest Network for them if needed.

WPA2-PSK suits all the devices running around the home.
  • Blu-Ray player
  • Smart TV
  • Work Laptop
  • iPhone 5s
  • iPad
  • Lumia 920
  • Acer W500 tablet
  • Mac Laptop (running Win7 so it's usable :wink:)
  • an older router running DD-WRT and set as a repeater that I've been playing around with

So... WPA2 covers all my needs and that is why I stopped using the WPA-PSK [TKIP]+WPA2-PSK [AES] option. Since I did that, I can honestly say I haven't encountered any challenges that can not be resolved by briefly disabling ACL, connecting the device, verifying the MAC, and then re-enabling ACL.

Hope this helps.

amur falcon

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I downloaded MHOTSPOT on laptop OS WIN7 error while connecting to wifi lumia 720 INCORRECT PASSWORD, though pass was correct, solution : go to Network and sharing>>> internet option>>> connections>>LAN SETTING>> by pass proxy server for local address tick the box on right side OK n it problem solved it gets connected, lost 2 days sleep on this finally some relief.

Bichitrax

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Can some body help me ? I bought a Lumia 1320 last week.I found it's impossible to use it widely without microsoft account.In my country internet via sim card is very expensive..so that I downloaded a softwere (connectify) and installed it in my laptop to use wifi.And it worked fine for my other nokia phones(5800 and C5-03)....But Lumia 1320 shows me there is no wifi network.In my my workplace there is a running wifi network visible to all persons.There also it shows no wifi network.Now I can not understand how to update my phone.I can not effort another phone...Am I did wrong to perchase a lumia ?

May 15, 2015
Visit site
D'you know what? It's now middle-2015 and the problem still persists throughout the Lumia range, as far as I can see on the net, and probably many other Windows 8 devices. MS haven't bothered to even make an attempt at fixing this.

And no, it isn't a simple matter of a corrupt security key: I had already set my wifi security to WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK and, at any rate, I have wiped out the Lumia wifi connection settings and re-entered the key any number of times to no effect. This problem is always there: the connection will work for a few days until it decides to fail out of the blue. And you can't even try to fix it because MS don't give you a user interface where you can enter the various connection parameters, so that you can at least try to narrow down the cause of the software failure.

I've got so frustrated with this that I've thrown this piece of cr ... rubbish against the wall, a couple of times and, lo and behold, it started working again for a while. But I'm certainly not going to recommend this method on a public forum, just because it worked for me.

For me, the only solution has been to consign this piece of junk to the scrap heap and go back to an old Android smart-phone. Sure, there are a couple of apps, coded just for Windows phones, that I'll miss. But that's a small price to pay for the benefit of doing away with this frustration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes