use a password LOCK or no password on phone

henhen59

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a password on my 920....its set to go to lockscreen after 1 min.

So im thinking if my phone gets stolen, then the thief can't get info from my phone and cant use my phone...which is good.

but on the other hand all they have to do is a hard reset and its like a new phone for them! (no password on sim or they can switch out the sim)

Perhaps its better to leave the password off so that I can try to locate the phone with the 'find my phone function'?

Plus I haven't seen many, if any, 3rd party phone apps that, similar to find my phone can help find your phone or the thief (like take and send pics, etc.)

Even so, having the password lock on would mean that the thief would have to do a hard resent right away...while having it off may give some time for the apps to work.

ANY THOUGHTS?

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Most theives will power down the phone as soon as they can. Then do a hard reset. They are more interested in the phone itself and not too much about the info on it.

If I'm not mistaken, the find my phone feature works even if you have a password on the phone.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes it is required to have a pw set. I can only access my company's exchange mail server if I have password set and max timeout of 15min.

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, I turn on password and turn off Find my Phone for my Lumia 920. I will do the exact opposite if it was iPhone.

A thieves that steal Nokia Lumia would probably sell the phone the fastest they can. The phone will therefore be reset anyway. So find my Phone wouldn't help but I still can protect my data.

A thieves that steal iPhone or SG S would probably hang on to that phone a little longer. There is then a chance to locate your phone or see a photo of the thief on the cloud.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My phone is never really such that even my friends could tamper with it, let alone any strangers. The few friends who might actually catch my phone on a table or so know better not to touch it. I don't use a password, it's much more of an inconvenience than anything I'd get out of it. I do have find my phone on though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes