Suddenly Hemorrhaging Battery

BlobDude

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 920 since launch, and haven't had any issues with it until now. For some reason, over the last few days, it's been burning through battery.

The first night, I took it off the charger at around 2 or 3 am. When I woke up, around 10:30, it had gone from a full charge to 9%. I always back out if everything so nothing's running when I leave it that way.

Since then, I haven't had the same issues with it losing battery on standby, but after using it for more than 10 or 15 minutes, whether I'm using apps to check social networks or browsing the internet, the back heats up and percentage loss of battery hits 35% per hour, according to Battery Sense.

Anyone else dealt with similar issues with a seemingly non-faulty 920?

EDIT: Fixed some typos, originally submitted via my phone.

Last edited:

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about turning location off, but with various past phones like the Lumia 900, sometimes the system would get hot and devour the battery. It happens to other phones sometimes too. But whatever bug triggered that wouldn't persist over a restart. So restarting is usually the best way to stop the battery draining if it's due to random software haywireness.

Charles Ong

May 7, 2013
Visit site
The exact same thing is happening to my phone.

The thing is, this happened to me before. I've fixed it by allowing location access to all my apps. Read somewhere that the apps will keep on prompting for location access if not allowed. Afterwards, been using my phone error free for at least two months when suddenly my battery is acting up again.

I suspect this is due to the updates of some of my application. Will try to open all application again and monitor the battery life.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I always get battery drain and heat issues when using Nokia Drive+ and Location on.
Having Location on makes battery drain faster as well, noticeably so turning it off saves juice. also it would greatly increase your privacy...

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I always get battery drain and heat issues when using Nokia Drive+ and Location on.
Having Location on makes battery drain faster as well, noticeably so turning it off saves juice. also it would greatly increase your privacy...

I have the same problem after using Drive, I get battery drain. The heat Issue is not a problem for me as I have an AC vent behind my phone mount lol. If I turn off drive + and let it sit in the charger for a bit the drain does not happen.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem after using Drive, I get battery drain. The heat Issue is not a problem for me as I have an AC vent behind my phone mount lol. If I turn off drive + and let it sit in the charger for a bit the drain does not happen.

If my phone is in the charger, battery drain does not happen either.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Let me reword that. If I shut down drive, then remove the phone from the charger I start getting battery drain immediately. If I shut down drive, let it sit in the charger for say five min. When I remove it, the battery drain does not happen. It will discharge like it should. I wonder if there is some process that gets stuck with drive that will shut down some time after you shut down the program, but not right away.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The times I've had issues a restart seems to resolve the problem. Something probably gets stuck consuming CPU cycles, regardless of whether you've closed everything or not, and as long as you're charging the phone before it totally drains the problem won't go away.

For me I've found the problem arises from two scenarios. 1) long gaming sessions where the phone runs hot; and 2) apps or games that crash multiple times in a row. The heat issue is hardware related, but it would seem that when an app crashes it doesn't always properly get cleared out.

It would be nice if Microsoft introduced a proper task manager for Windows Phone.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
As I've said in different threads this drain is related to the way of handling the 3G/4G network, the heat is coming from the upper right part, where the antena is. So nokia should give us a software fix for this.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
As I've said in different threads this drain is related to the way of handling the 3G/4G network, the heat is coming from the upper right part, where the antena is. So nokia should give us a software fix for this.

First of all, antennas don't overheat. Second, the antennas are located down the side and at the bottom.

The processors are all located in the area behind the camera, which is why that's where the phone gets warm. Battery drain occurs when a phone is constantly hunting for a decent signal, whether it's switching between 3G or 4G or simply trying to stay connected. This happens to all phones, not just the Lumia 920. My friend experiences this very problem with his iPhone.

That said, this isn't the kind of problem that causes a phone to go from full charge to nearly dead in a few hours. The battery drain issue has been widely discussed and it's pretty well established that the excessive drain issue is not due to wireless networks or weak signals.

BlobDude

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Turning off locations and doing a hard reboot seems to have done the trick. Doesn't heat up nearly as much, consumption spikes are a much more reasonable 20%/hour, and it recovers much more quickly from the spikes.

Thanks, all! Here's to hoping GDR2 or, more likely, 8.1 fixes these issues/gives us a proper task manager.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Turning off locations and doing a hard reboot seems to have done the trick. Doesn't heat up nearly as much, consumption spikes are a much more reasonable 20%/hour, and it recovers much more quickly from the spikes.

Thanks, all! Here's to hoping GDR2 or, more likely, 8.1 fixes these issues/gives us a proper task manager.

Hmm does it still heat up? sounds like it does.

nitin88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Guys, Battery Draining is happening in GDR2 much faster. I flashed with Amber, so it's clean install. It got discharged like anything [though I was playing Online UNO with Wifi and lasted for 1 hour]. I am putting it back to charge and lets see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes