Nokia Glance -Peek , not switching off when charging wirelessly

jtphl

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

Lumia 920 was place on Wireless Charger, on Peek Mode, is it just normal for the clock not to switch off even room is completely dark ? When phone is not on charger display switches off after few seconds of hovering.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't see it stated anywhere and there's no option for it, but it seems like it stays on no matter what while the phone is charging. Personally I don't mind it, but I can see how it would be annoying to some.

jtphl

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
but having it on while charging could be damaging to the screen? I would prefer hovering it to see the time. Not because it has abudance of power then it must stay on.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The idea behind why it stays on on charging is that the phone is all you need and for that purpose obviously when you place it down it should turn on the screen for you to see any time you want. And it will not damage your screen, at least not in at significant degree. It is screen saver, but were able to have only the pixel lite up interchangeability but have the back lite turn off entirely.

This is something Nokia needs to adjust and new Nokia owners needs to understand. The sleeping screen or glance screen or whatever they called it in the future all started when they used AMOLED screen on their Symbian^3 phones. It had became a signature for them and Nokia owners appreciate it a lot. But that was before they were able to utilize the proximity sensor for hover over activation and an in flux of fresh users.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I have 4 configurations for glance, and one of those is "programmed", after 15 minutes of no activity the glance will turn off.

jtphl

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 920 also has 4 Off, Peek, Timed and always on. I tried observing the phone for more than 15 minutes, but it won't off as long as it is on the wireless charger. Using the night mode will just change the clock to red from regular white.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have glance set to peek and while the phone is connected to a charger (wireless or wired) the glance screen stays on. I quite like it on the wireless charging stand as a bedside clock but I was also concerned about screen damage, and I don't mean 'burn in' because obviously the clock moves around but just having the screen and backlight running overnight is surely going to shorten it's lifespan?

Another issue with wireless charging: Have you noticed since GDR2/Amber that the wireless charging doesn't seem to switch back on if the phone starts to drain? I.e. I put my phone on the wireless charging stand when I got to bed with say 50% charge, it seems to charge the phone and I believe reaches 100% and the charger switches off. Then the phone slowly discharges (assisted by the glance feature no doubt) but where the charger used to switch back on after a certain time it now seems to stay off. When I wake up in the morning the phone is at 70% battery and the charger is not charging (the light switches on and off briefly every couple of minutes but the charge keeps decreasing). Any else having this issue?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
How does glance work on the 920? Is the backlight on low brightness or completely off. I've heard some people say the backlight is off, but I didn't think that was possible

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Try hovering something over the proximity sensor for a few seconds, that turns off the screen, though ironically shouldn't it work the other way around since it says on the setting hover your hand over your phone to see your glance screen?

AntBoots

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The hovering that turns it off (when charging or timed etc) is so that when it's in your pocket and dark it is automatically turned off, comes back on when it see the light again. Great feature just been playing with it on my 820 :smile:

UrpoFinland

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I know the answer!!! Put it upside down on your table when charging, it will switch off then. You can try it if you put your finger on the sensor while charging :)

joeltanthuanewe

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
hahaha yeah i just learnt that you can turn it upside down while charging- it dumbs the phone to think that it's in a pocket.. but if youre wireless charging, i guess u have to put a paper on top of it lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes