Just Purchased L920

GerOrBa

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello All. First Post here!

Just purchased a Lumia 920 for me and a 820 for my wife (both free with very cheap contracts since they are last gen phones). Always wanted to try WP. Anyway, I have some questions I hope can be solved here:

Is there any chance that both of these pones will come pre-installed with WP8 Amber versi?n already?
If not, would I need to updat to amber and then to WP8 update 3?
Do you recomend me get WP8 up to date as soon as I get the pones before installin anything (prety much in the Factory setup)?

and regarding the simcards.

The plan for the 920 is a Little bit better than the one for the 820... but since my wife do have a bussiness, I would like her to have the better plan... can the simcards (from the same company) be simply swapped, for her to get the better internet plan in the 820 (she will skydrive more than me)?

I appreciate all of your help! cannot wait for the Lumias to get in the mail!

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
  1. Is there any chance that both of these pones will come pre-installed with WP8 Amber versi?n already?
  2. If not, would I need to updat to amber and then to WP8 update 3?
  3. Do you recomend me get WP8 up to date as soon as I get the pones before installin anything (prety much in the Factory setup)?
  4. The plan for the 920 is a Little bit better than the one for the 820... but since my wife do have a bussiness, I would like her to have the better plan... can the simcards (from the same company) be simply swapped, for her to get the better internet plan in the 820 (she will skydrive more than me)?

Welcome to the bright side! :)

1. They might have Amber installed, but it's easy and painfree to update them once you get them.
  2. Yes, first Amber and then GDR3 whenever it becomes available.
  3. Always running on the latest update is always smart, and the update _might_ be faster if you do it before installing any apps. There's no performance-issues with updating a phone that's empty compared to a phone that's been used for a while though.
  4. Unless you for some reason bought SIM-locked phones that are on different operators there's no problem switching SIM-cards between them since they both use Micro-SIM.

Hope this was of help, and I'm sure you'll be as satisfied as we all are. :)

GerOrBa

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all! Much clearer now. Both phones are only available in white or black in my market, I guess they are on their way out. I ordered both in black. I actually like the 920 in black, i think it looks very slick. The 820 not so sure, though, I'll need to see it when it arrives, hope she likes it! In any case, the 820's back cover should be easy to replace aftermarket to something

In your opinion... Do you think both phones have 2 yr. Longevity? Do you yhink they would feel tired/obsolete by the end of 2014?

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The 920 is awesome and It will be still very awesome in a couple years. Its a great windows phone, but of coarse there will be more powerful ones by then, but its a really solid phone. Me and my gf both have and love them :)

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all! Much clearer now. Both phones are only available in white or black in my market, I guess they are on their way out. I ordered both in black. I actually like the 920 in black, i think it looks very slick. The 820 not so sure, though, I'll need to see it when it arrives, hope she likes it! In any case, the 820's back cover should be easy to replace aftermarket to something

In your opinion... Do you think both phones have 2 yr. Longevity? Do you yhink they would feel tired/obsolete by the end of 2014?
nope! One year later my 920 is still sweeeet! You will see they constantly compare the new devices to the 920! Cause they know the 920 is still king of the hill in regards to full features . 32gb. Qi etc!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Nice... I have a 920 in black, although lately I've been daydreaming about having a glossy white one. Both the 920 and 820 should still be relevant within a year. The 920 is an awesome phone and the 820 is pretty cool as well. Heck, your wife can even swap out the back if she prefers a different color at some point!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon