Pedometer Glance only for Nokia Lumia 1520, really Nokia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I still consider the 920 to be a superb smartphone after more than a year of using it. After using HTC, I was really hoping Nokia and MS would keep older devices up to date. Now even my old HTC Android phone can do pedometer, and yet the new Black update can't do pedometer glance on the 920? This is just plain pathetic on Nokia's part. The 920 is not even 3 years old and it's already missing the latest features? Heck, even the 1020 is already outdated having been released just a few months ago. Thanks to the Black update, the only Nokia device that is up to date is not even a phone! It's a bloody Phablet 1520!

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
pedometer requires extra core(present in Lumia 1520 , thanks to SD 800 chipset) , I too wish if I had this on my Lumia 920 but I am fine with runtastic, it serves my purpose of tracking my walking/running distance. Though nokia should have brought this feature on 920-925 and 1020 but lack of hardware:/

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
pedometer requires extra core(present in Lumia 1520 , thanks to SD 800 chipset) , I too wish if I had this on my Lumia 920 but I am fine with runtastic, it serves my purpose of tracking my walking/running distance. Though nokia should have brought this feature on 920-925 and 1020 but lack of hardware:/

Since when do you need an SD800 Chipset? My HTC is almost 4 years old and it can do pedometer just fine. Excuses excuses!

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes these excuses were given by nokia. Don't blame me ;)

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums mobile app

I am not blaming you, I am just saying Nokia is in no position to play preferential treatment with their pathetic market share. Even Apple, the biggest dog in the industry, supports cool new features on 3 year old iPhones. I thought Nokia and Microsoft are reinventing itself to be a better company, but I guess I got fooled into their fake marketing in supporting older devices. The 1520 is not even a device I will ever buy. I mean who the hell wants a phablet that does only glance pedometer.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I am not blaming you, I am just saying Nokia is in no position to play preferential treatment with their pathetic market share. Even Apple, the biggest dog in the industry, supports cool new features on 3 year old iPhones. I thought Nokia and Microsoft are reinventing itself to be a better company, but I guess I got fooled into their fake marketing in supporting older devices. The 1520 is not even a device I will ever buy. I mean who the hell wants a phablet that does only glance pedometer.

don't forget it has latest soc, 2 gb ram, 20 mp pure view camera,32gb on board storage with expandable up to 64 gb , and oh 1080p screen , and your fav pedometer too ;)

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It is a stupid concept anyways. I don't carry my phone with me everywhere I go. get fitbit working and have it put its notification on the screen.

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The reason why its on the Lumia 1520 only is because the S800 chip can use a core to "offload sensor data processing" with minimal power consumption. Not to say it is not possible with the other lumias. From my understanding, a pedometer only requires the use of the accelerometer to measure movement and algorithms can then interpret that into the number of footsteps taken. Nokia is not bringing it to the older lumias due to power consumption concerns that may impact battery life of the devices. Anyhow, fingers crossed that Nokia may eventually figure out how to measure footsteps on older devices with minimal power consumption :)

Read on here: Get your walking shoes as Nokia releases Motion Monitor for the Lumia 1520 | Windows Phone Central

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It is a stupid concept anyways. I don't carry my phone with me everywhere I go. get fitbit working and have it put its notification on the screen.

Well I carry my phone everywhere including going to morning walks. A pedometer would help greatly, but apparently Nokia don't think older devices should get it because of battery issues?

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The reason why its on the Lumia 1520 only is because the S800 chip can use a core to "offload sensor data processing" with minimal power consumption. Not to say it is not possible with the other lumias. From my understanding, a pedometer only requires the use of the accelerometer to measure movement and algorithms can then interpret that into the number of footsteps taken. Nokia is not bringing it to the older lumias due to power consumption concerns that may impact battery life of the devices. Anyhow, fingers crossed that Nokia may eventually figure out how to measure footsteps on older devices with minimal power consumption :)

Read on here: Get your walking shoes as Nokia releases Motion Monitor for the Lumia 1520 | Windows Phone Central

How about the ability to turn the pedometer on or off? That will fix the battery issue. Look, I don't expect the feature to be perfect, but I rather use a pedometer that uses slightly more power than not having that feature brought down to older devices at all. This is a sign that Nokia Lumia 920 is no longer relevant to Nokia's long term plan on supporting older devices. Who knows, in 2 months time, the 920 may not even get the Windows Phone 8.1 update.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Also worth noting that it was not sold with the promise of getting pedometer functionality IIRC.

So what? You don't understand this from a marketing perspective. Even the Nokia Lumia 1020 don't have the pedometer feature and it was only released a few months ago. How would the 1020 owners feel now? Like it or not, the pedometer feature is something most Nokia device owners want and have been anticipating since the news broke out. Only to hear after the release date that the pedometer will only be available for 1520 is big step backwards for Nokia. Before you defend Nokia again, think about the first batch of customers who believed in Nokia when 920 was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon