Camera and Warranty question

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Since Day one out of the box the camera on my phone has, honestly, sucked! I was excited to get the phone partly for the camera (though not my only reason), but it takes horrible pictures. Pictures on par with a mid 1990's $40 Samsung flip phone. The colors are washed out, I can not get a picture taken in focus. pictures are grainy. If the is a light source (like a window) anywhere near the subject, half the scene has a huge white flare in it. Even outdoor pictures leave much to be desired. Heck even my old Blackberry 9360 took better pictures.I have tried all kinds of tips and tricks offered here in the forum, several apps, and I just cant get a decent picture with this camera/phone. I don't want to go to AT&T as they will just send me a FRU phone with some one else's problem they couldn't duplicate in a 30 second half hearted attempt. Everything else on this phone works perfectly. Is this something that would be covered by the warranty? Using the Nokia Warranty check app, it looks like I'm still under warranty, but I don't know for how much longer (I'm guessing a month) . How do I go about contacting Nokia to see if this covered under the warranty and if so getting things rolling? any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd just try calling Nokia directly.
I've complained to them a few times by e-mail and actually gotten a callback from a support agent.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Camera apps; Nokia camera, proshot, camera 360, hd photo viewer. And a few others I uninstalled. I looked at that thread before and tried mist of the suggestions. I'm just kinda frustrated at this point. I hoped amber, then black would have fixed it but alas, no. I'm thinking maybe the actual camera module is bad. Even updates to the various apps aren't helping.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Lot of backlighting there ... can you draw the window blinds closed?
I'd try that shot with the flash on ISO set to 100 with WB incandescent shutter around 200 then play with the exposure.
You should be able to shoot handheld down to 1\60 on the shutter speed with the flash on.
See if it still over exposes.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll give it a whirl. The blinds were closed and the flash was on auto. I'm most perturbed that I can't seem to get most pictures in focus. That picture was the best of 4. Thanks. For to tips!
I did a chat with Nokia support and sent them the same photo and they said a tech would need to look at it. It still under warranty so I'll be sending it in next week.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if the image stabilization is working the way it should?
That would really play havoc with the camera.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I tries a very similar shot this morning. Using your suggestions, I was able to get the background light under control. Still a but grainy. By the focus remains an issue. I am thinking something similar about the image stabilization. I'm going to send it in to Nokia, hopefully they will figure it out. With the exception of the camera, this is the first phone that at the end of the first year im not anxious to get a new one.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I tries a very similar shot this morning. Using your suggestions, I was able to get the background light under control. Still a but grainy. By the focus remains an issue. I am thinking something similar about the image stabilization. I'm going to send it in to Nokia, hopefully they will figure it out. With the exception of the camera, this is the first phone that at the end of the first year im not anxious to get a new one.

Can you try a shot without holding the camera by using the timer?
Maybe prop the phone against something after setting to the 10 second option.

If I remember correctly the image stabilizer should be effective at slow shutter speeds, low light and lower ISO.
Also where is the zoom when snapping pics?
What do pics shot in the macro focus range look like?

Just a few thoughts there.
Really like to help you nail this bug down.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Definitely contact Nokia. They may even upgrade you for nothing. I would make sure your case gets escalated and don't pay any shipping out of pocket. Your phone should have worked out of the box.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you try a shot without holding the camera by using the timer?

Maybe prop the phone against something after setting to the 10 second option.

If I remember correctly the image stabilizer should be effective at slow shutter speeds, low light and lower ISO.

Also where is the zoom when snapping pics?

What do pics shot in the macro focus range look like?

Just a few thoughts there.

Really like to help you nail this bug down.

I'll try the timer suggestion in the morning and post the result. On the picture I posted, I believe the zoom was 1x.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I definitely appreciate the tips and suggestions. Please keep them coming!

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
So I tried the timer thing this morning. Still not overly impressed with the focus. Some improvement. I noticed while the time was running down I could see the subject of the photo wavering on the screen. Kinda live a heat wave in the summer. attached:
WP_20140407_12_31_21_Pro[1].jpg
Zoom Level 1X;Shutter Speed 1/60; ISO 3200

WP_20140407_12_32_42_Pro[1].jpg
Zoom Level 1x; Shutter 1/60; ISO 800, timmer set in 10 seconds (so the dog moved when I tried to get her to look at the camera)

WP_20140407_12_36_01_Pro[1].jpg
Every thing on Auto, Timer used , 10 seconds.. this is the one where I could see the image "wavering" while the timer was counting down.

WP_20140404_14_40_16_Pro[1].jpg
I did get one decent picture, taken out doors, that all together I though looked decent.
Seems like the focus issue is worse on indoor that out door, or am I just being overly critical?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for not seeing the new pics.

Looking at your pics in full res the focus is not the best.
---------------------------------------------------------

I just stepped outside to shoot a couple of auto setting pics for comparison.
My shots don't look all that great in full res.

L925 on auto:
WP_20140408_15_15_39_Pro.jpg
WP_20140408_15_15_29_Pro.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------
L521 auto settings:
WP_20140408_15_14_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20140408_15_14_51_Pro.jpg
Looks like your focus is worse out of the box.

One last thing,
Does your lens have a bluish haze on it when holding the phone parallel to your eye.
Might be hard to see with a case on the phone.

When I first got the 521 I touched the lens.
I thought I'd cleaned it good enough, yet I noticed it looked bluish.
I believe it was skin oil still on the outer lens affecting focus.

I know you have probably been keeping yours spotless tho...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes