In Danger of Going Back to iPhone 6 for Awhile - Help!

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh noes! I had to use my iPhone 6 the other day, so I tried to pop out the SIM from my 920 but the SIM tray was stuck. I pushed it back in, and tried ejecting again but it wouldn't pop out fully. Wiggling it around didn't help, so I pulled at it gradually harder and harder until it popped out. I thought all was fine until I tried to put the SIM back into my 920, but it doesn't detect the SIM. In fact, that little secondary tray that pops out with the SIM tray doesn't come out. I don't know how to fix it. I looked around the forums and I hope I don't have to pull it apart to replace it with this thing: Nokia Lumia 920 SIM Card Slot Socket Reader Holder Replacement | $0.73

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

IMG_2810.JPG

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What I found was the simm in the 920 is not exactly cut to fit properly even thought it looks it. I would go to a corporate AT&T store and ask them for another simm card. Its free.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I should mention that I am using an adapter from the Nano Sim to the Micro Sim. I have tried to look inside to figure out how to pull out that secondary tray, but not yet desperate enough to take the phone apart.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
What secondary tray are you talking about? Have you tried restarting? My 920 needs a restart to recognize my sim after a pull

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I should mention that I am using an adapter from the Nano Sim to the Micro Sim. I have tried to look inside to figure out how to pull out that secondary tray, but not yet desperate enough to take the phone apart.

Did it get stuck while trying to pop the sim? (something i had happen attempting to use those Nano Sim converters.) Sounds like its being trapped by that spring-load mechanism that makes contact with the sim card and now won't come out.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Did it get stuck while trying to pop the sim? (something i had happen attempting to use those Nano Sim converters.) Sounds like its being trapped by that spring-load mechanism that makes contact with the sim card and now won't come out.

I ruined a Captivate using a sim adapter... Its a bummer.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I ruined a Captivate using a sim adapter... Its a bummer.

Been there, well almost. I was on track to break some things before I investigated what that snap/catch sound was when you put the sim in a phone. When I found out what it was, I had an idea how to try to remove the sim from the slot. I needed something flexible, but it had to be strong enough to push the spring back. So digging around in my desk, I found this ID badge clip I wasn't using.
WP_20150328_05_40_45_Pro 1.jpg

I cut just above the lower snap on the end and had my tool. It was slim enough, strong enough and made from plastic so I reduced the chance of damage. I slipped this into the sim slot getting it between the snapping mechanism and the adapter and I was able to extract the adapter and sim. I won't go back to using those adapters unless they specifically say they are designed for the Lumia because they are too hit and miss.
BTW, the image was taken with my Lumia 1520 desk light and no flash. :)

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Been there, well almost. I was on track to break some things before I investigated what that snap/catch sound was when you put the sim in a phone. When I found out what it was, I had an idea how to try to remove the sim from the slot. I needed something flexible, but it had to be strong enough to push the spring back. So digging around in my desk, I found this ID badge clip I wasn't using.
View attachment 100713

I cut just above the lower snap on the end and had my tool. It was slim enough, strong enough and made from plastic so I reduced the chance of damage. I slipped this into the sim slot getting it between the snapping mechanism and the adapter and I was able to extract the adapter and sim. I won't go back to using those adapters unless they specifically say they are designed for the Lumia because they are too hit and miss.
BTW, the image was taken with my Lumia 1520 desk light and no flash. :)

That was smart, on my Cappy I wasn't thinking and just ripped it out and broke all the pins, took a month to get a replacement board.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That was smart, on my Cappy I wasn't thinking and just ripped it out and broke all the pins, took a month to get a replacement board.
I got lucky to even find the article describing the mechanism. I don't even know if I saved it or not but after reading it, I had to try some things. Again, I was very surprised that it worked. I had that McGuiver thing going that day. lol.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What secondary tray are you talking about? Have you tried restarting? My 920 needs a restart to recognize my sim after a pull

From what I remembered, there was a small black tray that stuck out a few millimeters upon ejecting the larger SIM tray. I tried looking for a video clip that showed it, but none of them had it. Maybe I'm going crazy. I've tried rebooting after putting in the SIM, but it still won't recognize it. I'll give it another attempt tonight. Thanks.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
From what I remembered, there was a small black tray that stuck out a few millimeters upon ejecting the larger SIM tray. I tried looking for a video clip that showed it, but none of them had it. Maybe I'm going crazy. I've tried rebooting after putting in the SIM, but it still won't recognize it. I'll give it another attempt tonight. Thanks.

Probably not the same issue, but I've been swapping my SIM back and forth between my 1520 (that's been in/out of the shop as the screen hasn't been fixed correctly yet) and my 920 using an adapter to go from the smaller SIM the 1520 needs and the larger SIM ready of the 920... Anyhow, the 920 is getting worse and worse with reading the SIM card... Seems there connectors are getting more and more compressed, so the SIM card doesn't make good contract within the 920. What I have had to do to make it work, is add a piece of tape to the back is the SIM card to get it to fill the gap and make the proper connections in the phone... Try this at your own risk, I take no responsibility if you damage your phone.

On a side note, my 920 has the slide out tray on the SIM, but it rarely comes out on its own... And it doesn't come out all the way, just enough to see a QR code and some writing on a sticker.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

Never use any kind of Sim adapters, you risk getting it stuck again ect ect. You're not the first to have issues after using A sim adapter. Hope it gets solved ASAP.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Never use any kind of Sim adapters, you risk getting it stuck again ect ect. You're not the first to have issues after using A sim adapter. Hope it gets solved ASAP.

I'll bet the SIM adapter had something to do with it, but what am I supposed to do other than registering a new SIM each time I want to swap phones? It did look flush using the adapter in SIM tray.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I'll bet the SIM adapter had something to do with it, but what am I supposed to do other than registering a new SIM each time I want to swap phones? It did look flush using the adapter in SIM tray.

Unfortunately I think it means not switching around so much, as in stay with one device whenever possible, I think a SIM slot damage is also not covered by warranty.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I think it means not switching around so much, as in stay with one device whenever possible, I think a SIM slot damage is also not covered by warranty.

I'm way past warranty and am stuck. This wouldn't happen if flippin' Apple didn't insist on using a SIM card that no one else really used. They do that specifically so that people can't move back and forth between devices. :angry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes