Wireless Charging - Is Nokia thinking of moving away from Qi?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
With the latest phone , Lumia 925, also having add-on covers for wireless charging, does this signal a change in direction? Will we get more devices with add on covers?
I understand and agree that it does come with some benefits, i.e. a lighter/thinner device for those who value that.

But it also begs a question:

If Qi is being abandoned by other manufacturers that Nokia too is seeing the writing on the wall and perhaps laying the ground for moving to either Power Matters Alliance (PMA) or Alliance For Wireless Power(A4WP) instead?

The way i understand it, the difference is the frequency and the coil size.
Both of these could be changed with a different cover, no?

Thoughts?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Right now Qi is the big-boy on the block. It will take someting big to knock them off. A'la universal wireless charging (cars, appliances, phones, tablets, etc). That or some backroom shady deal which isn't too much of leap.

Braumin

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I think it's more likely that if they remove it, they can get a thinner lighter phone, and for those people that need it they can now sell them a cover. Win Win. Plus - if Qi does get knocked off (unlikely) then it's just a cover change.

ShaunKL

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I think it's more likely that if they remove it, they can get a thinner lighter phone, and for those people that need it they can now sell them a cover. Win Win. Plus - if Qi does get knocked off (unlikely) then it's just a cover change.

Agree, most people have to buy wireless chargers anyway and those are expensive. Nokia's probably thinking if you have enough money for the charger you'll have enough money for the case as well.

Slotti's point is interesting as well. With the charging shell on that would change the 925 to having an internal speaker.

EDDS

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Right now Qi is the big-boy on the block. It will take someting big to knock them off. A'la universal wireless charging (cars, appliances, phones, tablets, etc). That or some backroom shady deal which isn't too much of leap.

This is what happened with HD-DVD and Blu ray so don't get too comfortable with QI just yet.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I kinda like the QI covers, they bring color :)
And I rather have QI charging as an option, since I'd probably not get a QI charger, because it's too expensive, or not worth it at least, so I rather have a slimmer phone and cover as extra.
Does anyone know estimated cost of cover+charger? I'd consider getting it if combined of both price doesn't exceed 30?, even that is too much.
I hope it's not going to be like Nexus 7 official dock, which came about 9 months after the tablet and was selling for ~40$ and all it does is charge and play music. Realistically, it would be worth 10$ maybe.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I am not so sure that Qi is really the "big boy" any more... I see that the PMA group is gaining momentum, even to the point that the Coffee Bean and Tea leaf chain is going to have their wireless power systems in their cafes.... Now remember, this is the same chain that Nokia was touting back in September last year... did Coffee Bead switch sides or are they also playing the field - just in case...?
Also - If you look at the PMA group - they are getting more of the manufacturers on their side...

As for the point about the wireless covers covering the loudspeakers... wow, that would not be good; i would be surprised at Nokia if they did that.
(they did do someting similar on a case they have for the Pureview 808 - but then changed the design later to include holes/space for the loudspeaker)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
With the latest phone , Lumia 925, also having add-on covers for wireless charging, does this signal a change in direction? Will we get more devices with add on covers?
I understand and agree that it does come with some benefits, i.e. a lighter/thinner device for those who value that.

But it also begs a question:

Well there are other competing wireless charging standards and there have been reports or rumors that the winner in the wireless charging standards battle may be something besides Qi. If that's the case Nokia does not want to be on the Betamax side of the battle so they have to keep their options a bit more flexible.

If Qi is being abandoned by other manufacturers that Nokia too is seeing the writing on the wall and perhaps laying the ground for moving to either Power Matters Alliance (PMA) or Alliance For Wireless Power(A4WP) instead?

The way i understand it, the difference is the frequency and the coil size.
Both of these could be changed with a different cover, no?

Thoughts?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I kinda like the QI covers, they bring color :)
And I rather have QI charging as an option, since I'd probably not get a QI charger, because it's too expensive, or not worth it at least, so I rather have a slimmer phone and cover as extra.
Does anyone know estimated cost of cover+charger? I'd consider getting it if combined of both price doesn't exceed 30€, even that is too much.
I hope it's not going to be like Nexus 7 official dock, which came about 9 months after the tablet and was selling for ~40$ and all it does is charge and play music. Realistically, it would be worth 10$ maybe.

dont know about the covers right now, but if you check out the link below you can see that the charging plate (not the one with stand) was 24.95USD with free shipping yesterday...thats a frontpage deal on slickdeals...meaning its a great bargain - i cant comment on the seller but i will leave you to read the comments yourself.

https://slickdeals.net/permadeal/95...ireless-charging-plate-for-lumia-820920-black

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Unless you have a device like the 920 or the 8X.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
dont know about the covers right now, but if you check out the link below you can see that the charging plate (not the one with stand) was 24.95USD with free shipping yesterday...thats a frontpage deal on slickdeals...meaning its a great bargain - i cant comment on the seller but i will leave you to read the comments yourself.

https://slickdeals.net/permadeal/95...ireless-charging-plate-for-lumia-820920-black

That's reasonable. I don't have the Lumia just yet, I may get it in the summer, if my carrier decides to sell the 925 otherwise I'll have to wait even longer until my contract runs out.
Thanks though!

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia's research told them that thickness was more important to potential consumers than built in wireless charging. I love my wireless charger but would probably agree that the majority of people would rather a thinner/lighter phone.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
OK, i'll agree for this phone and the 720 perhaps that style/form factor was much more important than this feature.
We'll see how the next device tackles this...EOS anyone? I am pretty sure that the EOS wont be a slim device so i hope it does have the integral wireless charging.
I havnt bought any of the Qi options yet, but the latest news in the past weeks has made me pause to see how this plays out.
It could be Betamax vs VHS....

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
there is a slit on the cover.

More of a channel to allow the sound to escape. Regardless, it wasN'T a major design flaw, it was addressed by them here on WPCentral at some point.

Edited from was to wasn't. That was what I meant to say.

Last edited:

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Just because 925 doesn't have Qi built in, doesn't mean Nokia is moving away from it. Remember, that majority of Lumia phones don't have Qi built in. We'll have to wait and see what happens next. If the next Nokia flagship phone doesn't have Qi built it, then Nokia is most likely sitting on the side lines, waiting for a standard to be achieved.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Did anybody realize that the charging plate covers the external speaker? Seems to be a major design flaw.

Like I said to you on the previous post you made.

I would imagine it doesn't block the sound. The speaker after all is in the back, but a hand back of the phone with a speaker in back and the sounds gets louder as it gets bounced more towards you.

OK, i'll agree for this phone and the 720 perhaps that style/form factor was much more important than this feature.
We'll see how the next device tackles this...EOS anyone? I am pretty sure that the EOS wont be a slim device so i hope it does have the integral wireless charging.
I havnt bought any of the Qi options yet, but the latest news in the past weeks has made me pause to see how this plays out.
It could be Betamax vs VHS....

Something to think with EOS is that the back wont for certain be flush, so implementing Qi might be harder. Also if they are adding that large 808PV sensor, xenon and even adding OIS to that, I think they will wanna save weight and Qi would be the first place to look.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Something to think with EOS is that the back wont for certain be flush, so implementing Qi might be harder. Also if they are adding that large 808PV sensor, xenon and even adding OIS to that, I think they will wanna save weight and Qi would be the first place to look.

When i read and re-read your post a couple times, it finally made sense :)
agreed, if there is a sizeable hump due to the camera sensor/lens, then it will be a challenge to have enough surface area that will be in close enough proximity to efficiently transfer the power...
is this perhaps WHY the catwalk doesnt have Qi built in also? **lightbulb moment** :)
Because of that hump - albeit small - the charger wont be able to sit flat against the back face of the phone....

Now, as for EOS (is it the RM-877/RM-875?), IF it has the graphene technology, then perhaps we can have a flatter hump and maybe Qi built in.
I much prefer a superior camera to Qi built in - although, i WANT wireless charging some how :)

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Did anybody realize that the charging plate covers the external speaker? Seems to be a major design flaw.

Did you realize that the accounted for that with a channel that redirects sound out the bottom? Oh, I see someone in the thread still claiming it to be a design flaw. Until you can physically hear any sound differences between the phone with and without the cover, no claim can be made about there being a design flaw. full stop. Think about this. You can now lay the phone on its back with the bottom facing you. Assuming no degradation in sound quality, I'd say that's a big win and a good enough reason to get the charging cover (which will probably be free anyway for some time)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750