Will Nokia Software Recovery Tool get you Cyan if you are on T-mobile?

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I think the camera, looks, operating system would be way above WIFI calling. If you really need WIFI calling, you really need a different carrier. I was like you and had been with T-Mo for a long time, since 2003. Once I finally had enough with the Cyan crap, I discovered the wonders of being on a real network. It's a whole different world out there. You have reception without the stupid WIFI calling that doesn't work half the time.

I have to respectfully disagree. The general t-mobile (and roaming) coverage around my area is decent. A lot of 2g coverage, but I lived with sprint for nearly 15 years. However, I live at a secluded lake, where Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and of course T-Mobile don't have coverage. Staying with t-mobile is really my only option to have "service" at my house...

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Could someone point me to where I could find said ROMs?
Said ROMS are here along with everything your need: http://pgotze01.synology.me:5000/fbdownload/Nokia?k=9eZBwd3E&stdhtml=true Said instructions are here: [Tutorial] Unbrand (flash) Nokia Windows Pho?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums The only ROM I recommend is this one: product code: 059T883, variant name: RM-893 VAR LTA MV WHITE. I'm sure there are others that work, but it has all the US LTE frequencies and works great. I tried a couple of others that wouldn't flash including the AT&T one. Microsoft lists this as generic for Mexico. Argentina, and some other countries down there also have carriers that use this as primary. If you have trouble with log in to Nokia to get the ROMs, make sure you have replaced the 3 instances of the file in your new Nokia folder with the one you extract from the RAR file.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I have to respectfully disagree. The general t-mobile (and roaming) coverage around my area is decent. A lot of 2g coverage, but I lived with sprint for nearly 15 years. However, I live at a secluded lake, where Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and of course T-Mobile don't have coverage. Staying with t-mobile is really my only option to have "service" at my house...
Understand, you are stuck with the growingly evil Magenta...sounds like you need a satellite phone.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Did you actually get dropped calls and/or slower data speeds? Carriers and manufacturers have been known to tweak signal meters to make their signals report better than they are. I suspect you were getting the exact same signal, but the MV WHITE ROM was reporting a more accurate reading than the T_Mo ROM. On I-Phones you can dial *3001#12345#* to get the exact signal reading by db instead of a made up one by the carriers. I wish I did know how to enter test mode to do that on a Windows Phone, if that's even possible. When I first went on the AT&T network and still had the T-Mo ROM loaded, it always showed 5 bars and was very suspicious of the readings, just can't prove it. Now I see anywhere from 3 to 5 bars. That said, since the MV White is a South American ROM, your WIFI signal will read lower. I have seen that myself and it is due to South American routers having double the output power ours do and the ROM looks to have been adjusted for that.

I just flashed to the Latin American ROM this week (thanks Munter2 for your post in another thread with the needed links), and I'm seeing the exact same behavior. I'm seeing lower bars, but overall the behavior is the same. What I mean is at work, for example, there are spots where I could get a signal (at my desk, fortunately) but I didn't have to go too far into the interior before I lost signal. While the Latin American ROM showed fewer bars than the T-Mo ROM where I got a signal, I didn't seem to lose a signal any earlier. Likewise, I was trying out an AT&T MVNO (Consumer Cellular, not Cricket), and also saw constant full bars with the T-Mo Rom, but now see 3-5 bars with the Latin American ROM. I think the T-Mo signal meter is....optimistic.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Certainly there are cases where WiFi calling can be useful, and there are even locations I suppose where T-Mobile's service is not only perfectly adequate, but even better than the alternatives. Although I'm curious, if you have broadband (for WiFi calling), would a microcell also be an option that could increase your choices in carriers? Might be more complicated and/or expensive, though.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Certainly there are cases where WiFi calling can be useful, and there are even locations I suppose where T-Mobile's service is not only perfectly adequate, but even better than the alternatives. Although I'm curious, if you have broadband (for WiFi calling), would a microcell also be an option that could increase your choices in carriers? Might be more complicated and/or expensive, though.

There are no "micro cells" or femtocells in the TM vernacular. You can buy or sometimes get a Cel-Fi booster, but these are not broadband based like microcells. I've been a WFC advocate for seven years. Problems? Yes, sometimes the phones, sometimes the network, but the premise is unassailable. I've been in Camel Anus, TX, at a coffee shop. No TM signal, no problem.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
There are no "micro cells" or femtocells in the TM vernacular. You can buy or sometimes get a Cel-Fi booster, but these are not broadband based like microcells. I've been a WFC advocate for seven years. Problems? Yes, sometimes the phones, sometimes the network, but the premise is unassailable. I've been in Camel Anus, TX, at a coffee shop. No TM signal, no problem.

I'll address both of you:
I could get a microcell from any of the other three (which is what I believe mrpunny was meaning), but the added cost of their plans makes that option not worth it for me. Especially since TM's wifi calling does a more than ample job, without having to add yet another piece to my network (which is a paltry 6d/.5u). It's like I live in a radio signal black hole. Cable company doesn't come there, and I had to cut down a couple trees to have satellite tv service. Cellular picks up less than 1/2 mi from the house (2g att) and at 5mi (where I spend the most of my time when I'm not home) it's TM LTE.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I could get a microcell from any of the other three (which is what I believe mrpunny was meaning), but the added cost of their plans makes that option not worth it for me. Especially since TM's wifi calling does a more than ample job, without having to add yet another piece to my network (which is a paltry 6d/.5u). It's like I live in a radio signal black hole. Cable company doesn't come there, and I had to cut down a couple trees to have satellite tv service. Cellular picks up less than 1/2 mi from the house (2g att) and at 5mi (where I spend the most of my time when I'm not home) it's TM LTE.

One size does not fit all. WFC is way more preferential that femto cells. You don't need to have access to a broadband modem/router. "Hello, I have this device here that you've never heard of and I can't get a cellular signal, would you mind if I plug it in to your network?" BZZZZZZZT!

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Fair enough. From your previous post I just wasn't sure what other options you had looked at. I agree in your case it sounds like T-Mobile's WiFi calling is the best option for getting service at your home.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough. From your previous post I just wasn't sure what other options you had looked at. I agree in your case it sounds like T-Mobile's WiFi calling is the best option for getting service at your home.

In one sense, it's the only option. Whether TM sends you a Cel-Fi booster or not, is beside the point. Said booster is not the same as a femtocell, the latter requiring a broadband connection.

And so if you travel, you'll pack your booster? And even that depends on a one bar signal to work. I've been on WFC since it's inception via different phones. I know just about everything there is to know about both the technology (GSM/UMA) and the marketing thereof.

With WFC you can be anywhere in the world, on a wifi access point to broadband, and the TM system sees you as right here at home. What's not to love? No TM signal in Marfa, TX some years back. But the coffee shop has your voice and SMS connections waiting.

WFC has been available to any GSM carrier for almost a decade. Why ATT has just recently picked up on this, no idea. Oh, wait, otherwise they can charge their customers more for roaming and international calls? Nah........

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Said ROMS are here along with everything your need: http://pgotze01.synology.me:5000/fbdownload/Nokia?k=9eZBwd3E&stdhtml=true Said instructions are here: [Tutorial] Unbrand (flash) Nokia Windows Pho?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums The only ROM I recommend is this one: product code: 059T883, variant name: RM-893 VAR LTA MV WHITE. I'm sure there are others that work, but it has all the US LTE frequencies and works great. I tried a couple of others that wouldn't flash including the AT&T one. Microsoft lists this as generic for Mexico. Argentina, and some other countries down there also have carriers that use this as primary. If you have trouble with log in to Nokia to get the ROMs, make sure you have replaced the 3 instances of the file in your new Nokia folder with the one you extract from the RAR file.

Thank you...I said :)

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
One size does not fit all. WFC is way more preferential that femto cells. You don't need to have access to a broadband modem/router. "Hello, I have this device here that you've never heard of and I can't get a cellular signal, would you mind if I plug it in to your network?" BZZZZZZZT!

It's nice to have options, and all things being equal, I agree that it's better to have the option of wifi calling than not. However, if you literally only lack coverage at home, then a microcell or wifi calling are potentially equal, assuming that the carrier will give you a microcell for little or no cost. Ahead of either of those, though, I've come to prefer a carrier that offers broad coverage with low frequency spectrum for good in-building reception. :grin: (And while it can be a little clunky, there are VOIP options like Skype or a service like CallCentric that will provide calling over wifi that doesn't require low level phone support, and thus don't limit choice in phones. But I would consider that more for the occasional workaround rather than regular usage.)

Now that said, if T-Mo continues on their current path, I think they have the potential to be an amazing service in a couple of years. They're supposed to be converting their 2G network to LTE over the next year, and more importantly, they're currently acquiring chunks of low frequency 700A spectrum. Hopefully they'll also be able to get a significant amount of spectrum in the upcoming 600MHz auctions. That low frequency spectrum will really help in-building reception and should also improve coverage area, meaning that T-Mobile's native network will be much more equal to the big 2, plus they'll have wifi calling working to help fill in the inevitable small gaps that affect every carrier to some degree.

Andrew Brown3

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Well I flashed successfully and I'm discouraged to find that when search for my carrier it only found the 4G option not the LTE !! That I could get with the T Mobile firmware tell me that this so called International firmware isn't so international !~ And the kicker Net sharing works fine but i can only get a 4G signal and it's only getting 2 bars out of 5 !! WOW all that for nothing !!

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Well I flashed successfully and I'm discouraged to find that when search for my carrier it only found the 4G option not the LTE !! That I could get with the T Mobile firmware tell me that this so called International firmware isn't so international !~ And the kicker Net sharing works fine but i can only get a 4G signal and it's only getting 2 bars out of 5 !! WOW all that for nothing !!
Are you on the T-Mobile Network? Are you using the MV White ROM? If you are,the option menu will show 4G but when 4G is activated if an LTE signal is available you will receive the LTE signal. The signal strength meter will show less signal with the Latin American ROM, but you will actually receive the same signal as the T-Mobile ROM as carriers "adjust" the the signal strength indicators for their own purposes. Run a few speed tests to see if your speeds are actually slower.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Are you on the T-Mobile Network? Are you using the MV White ROM? If you are,the option menu will show 4G but when 4G is activated if an LTE signal is available you will receive the LTE signal. The signal strength meter will show less signal with the Latin American ROM, but you will actually receive the same signal as the T-Mobile ROM as carriers "adjust" the the signal strength indicators for their own purposes. Run a few speed tests to see if your speeds are actually slower.

Yes, there is no assurance that X bars on any two phones or any two ROM's mean the same thing. "They" can adjust that into the firmware. It's just like any meter in any electronic system; add/remove resistance in series or parallel and you can show anything you want.

Yes, to another poster, as TM ramps up all the low frequency stuff (with new phones) it will finally be the equal of the Big Two in building penetration and distance.

Andrew Brown3

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
With the T Mbile rom when i went to search for Network in my Area ( Eastlink is the provider ) it actual said 4G/LTE) and I coudl pick and choose -and the speeds from tests were considerable with the rom you mentioned ( I followed everything to a science ) I currently am only offered 4G in the selstion ..Yet it does say LTE in the above let top ( so you could possible be right ) although it did flux from a 4G icon , to an H to H+ as well .....the bars are currently stable at 3 /5 so thats no issue ...Internet sharing does work as does Blu tooth and wifi. So no hiccups. I wanna say thank you for the post it only took a mere 30 mins to flash the reading the tutorial was longer but I'm very satisfied thus far ..I appreciate if very much Munter2. I bought this unlocked beast on ebay with a cracked screen ..purchased a dead in the water lumia for 30 bucks swapped screens and been running in Nova Scotia , Canada for the last 3 months and have loved it. So unbranding this Lumia 925 was not an issue for me ..thanx for making it possible...BTW my Provider is the sister company to T Mobile in the United States. EastLink Wireless only runs on the 1700/2100 frequency hence the reason i sought ou tthe Lumia 925 on T Mobile as the unlocked AT&T Nokia Lumia 820 i had could not give me LTE speeds or mostly connected to the network

Andrew Brown3

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Speed test shows 56.50 mbps and 20.23 upload so thats pretty decent in my area so the LTE is working correctly on 3 bars out of 5 ..considering I only get about 45.26 mbps and 7.76 on my wireless ( My home net is 80 mbps and 8 upload ) wireless is usually a bit higher ( I don't expect it to be at the speed of the full range 80 ) but I'm satisfied

cz9h3d

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a T-Mobile 925 running 8.1 Developer, the phone is unlocked, and I'm using it on AT&T. Should I reflash it to something else (i.e. AT&T) in order to get Cyan?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes