Extremely disappointed in Microsoft/Nokia Care service

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
So, a while back I dropped my 925 by accident. The screen cracked on the edge and probably the display was damaged because there were vertical lines showing when I turned it on and touch wasn't working right, so I decided to hand it in to the Care center.

They gave me an estimate of $160 for repair, and while I was expecting it, it just seemed so awful to me to be spending that much on it, but I still loved it and got it for about $470 so I thought why not.

They gave me a 10-15 day estimate and they said they would update me soon as they had the part. It's now been 23 days and I hadn't heard from them at all. I called them and they said the phone wasn't getting repaired yet because they still had not received the display unit. I was utterly surprised and not a little pissed off because I've been stuck with a sh*t Android phone for the last three weeks and they hadn't even begun to fix my phone! I filed a complaint with them and yelled at them and also told them that if it wasn't fixed by the end of this week I would take it back unrepaired and just order the display and change it myself.

I can't believe this is the kind of service Nokia/MS people are offering these days? What even happened to them? They used to be great at customer care. But now they won't even bother to inform me or keep me updated on its status and keep telling me that I have to call after two days to get an update. Why can't they call me themselves? Would it physically pain them to do so?

I regret not just ordering the damn thing online and repairing it myself. Suffice it to say, unless Microsoft really does announce some groundbreaking flagship in summer with W10, my next phone won't be a Microsoft device, and tell my friends to stay on their Apples and Samsungs (everyone I know, including myself, have had good customer care experience with both of them). I love Microsoft but if they can't even source a display unit in three weeks, then... I don't even know.

/rant over

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So, a while back I dropped my 925 by accident. The screen cracked on the edge and probably the display was damaged because there were vertical lines showing when I turned it on and touch wasn't working right, so I decided to hand it in to the Care center.

They gave me an estimate of $160 for repair, and while I was expecting it, it just seemed so awful to me to be spending that much on it, but I still loved it and got it for about $470 so I thought why not.

They gave me a 10-15 day estimate and they said they would update me soon as they had the part. It's now been 23 days and I hadn't heard from them at all. I called them and they said the phone wasn't getting repaired yet because they still had not received the display unit. I was utterly surprised and not a little pissed off because I've been stuck with a sh*t Android phone for the last three weeks and they hadn't even begun to fix my phone! I filed a complaint with them and yelled at them and also told them that if it wasn't fixed by the end of this week I would take it back unrepaired and just order the display and change it myself.

I can't believe this is the kind of service Nokia/MS people are offering these days? What even happened to them? They used to be great at customer care. But now they won't even bother to inform me or keep me updated on its status and keep telling me that I have to call after two days to get an update. Why can't they call me themselves? Would it physically pain them to do so?

I regret not just ordering the damn thing online and repairing it myself. Suffice it to say, unless Microsoft really does announce some groundbreaking flagship in summer with W10, my next phone won't be a Microsoft device, and tell my friends to stay on their Apples and Samsungs (everyone I know, including myself, have had good customer care experience with both of them). I love Microsoft but if they can't even source a display unit in three weeks, then... I don't even know.

/rant over

I just sent my L1020 over to a third-party service center (used to be the official Nokia Care). They have already diagnosed the problem, but they say that my phone was still in queue. I hope I won't have to wait that long, though I've got a L535 as a temporary phone.

At any rate, a lot of members would empathize with your sentiments (I, for example, had to be faced by a certain customer "care" representative (whose name I won't mention) who didn't seem to "care" at all, but it would better to communicate with your Microsoft regional center (not just the local or sub-local center). They would be able to cover more of your concerns about that service center... and more than most of the forum members here. :cool:

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I just sent my L1020 over to a third-party service center (used to be the official Nokia Care). They have already diagnosed the problem, but they say that my phone was still in queue. I hope I won't have to wait that long, though I've got a L535 as a temporary phone.

At any rate, a lot of members would empathize with your sentiments (I, for example, had to be faced by a certain customer "care" representative (whose name I won't mention) who didn't seem to "care" at all, but it would better to communicate with your Microsoft regional center (not just the local or sub-local center). They would be able to cover more of your concerns about that service center... and more than most of the forum members here. :cool:

Customer care that doesn't CARE is the absolute worst. :/

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion. I'll get in contact with the regional people. Hopefully they'll do it soon. I'm so over Android. -_-

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Just to update: I handed in my phone in January, and it's now March and they're still telling me to wait for two more weeks (at least) because they just sent it for repair again because they display they used the first time around had issues.

I guess I've pretty much had it with them. Not willing to pay half the cost of a new L925 and still wait two months, and my current temporary crappy device is giving me headaches. They can keep the 925 if they so please, I simply do not care anymore. I'll probably be getting a new device which is not a Windows Phone for exactly two reasons.

1. No WP flagships that I like as much as I did the 925
2. Not willing to put up with Microsoft's garbage customer care in case something goes awry again.

It was nice to be a part of the WP community.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, this is pretty unacceptable in this case. Personally speaking, if the repair is looking to be more than a few days wait, I'd have expected a replacement device.

Can you send me a PM with your repair reference and I'll have this sent back to Microsoft support as a feedback/lessons learnt. Obviosuly, this isn't a typical support experience, otherwise we'd see a lot more complaints.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Wow, that's horrible service. I would call them and ask for a steep discount. Wouldn't hurt to ask. At this point, they've left you without a phone for well over the estimated repair time to the point that it is unacceptable.

I'd just call them up and say, look... I was told 2 weeks and it's been 2 months. Clearly you are incapable of fixing the device and are indefinitely stalling at my expense of time and money. If it is actually being repaired, take half off the price for the delay and lack of communication and I'll forget the horrible service I've experienced...etc

It may not be worth your time, but that's the only thing that would make it up to me at this point.

Also, is this Microsoft direct?

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I walk away from any "service centre" that will send any device away. Too many things go wrong too often.

Yes, but I had no idea at the time they would be sending it away. It was just a display change... They should have them in stock because a) the phone was launched officially here and b) it's not uncommon for people to get a display replacement for whatever reasons, right?

Yes, this is pretty unacceptable in this case. Personally speaking, if the repair is looking to be more than a few days wait, I'd have expected a replacement device.

Can you send me a PM with your repair reference and I'll have this sent back to Microsoft support as a feedback/lessons learnt. Obviosuly, this isn't a typical support experience, otherwise we'd see a lot more complaints.

Do they give replacement devices? I didn't know that was a thing for MS devices. Should I demand it? It seems tacky to do so.
I'll PM you the reference number.
Thanks.

Wow, that's horrible service. I would call them and ask for a steep discount. Wouldn't hurt to ask. At this point, they've left you without a phone for well over the estimated repair time to the point that it is unacceptable.

I'd just call them up and say, look... I was told 2 weeks and it's been 2 months. Clearly you are incapable of fixing the device and are indefinitely stalling at my expense of time and money. If it is actually being repaired, take half off the price for the delay and lack of communication and I'll forget the horrible service I've experienced...etc

Also, is this Microsoft direct?

I've actually said exactly those things (minus the reduction in repair cost). If they would do that it just might be worthwhile, I guess. Is that something I should demand (as in, is it likely they will agree to it)?

Yes, they're the official people. I gave it to the Nokia device collection point in my city and they sent it to the customer care office in my area (as it is listed on MS website)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if Microsoft issue replacement devices or not Personally speaking that would be an acceptable action if a devices takes longer than normal to repair. I don't know what Microsoft's actual process is.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if Microsoft issue replacement devices or not Personally speaking that would be an acceptable action if a devices takes longer than normal to repair. I don't know what Microsoft's actual process is.

Ah, okay. Well, I'll just wait a few days and see how they compensate me for this. But honestly I am just so exhausted of both waiting and asking the Care people every week or two, that I don't even want to contact them again. Just a 'bad luck' experience, I suppose. I'll just explore the market for some more options now. Two more weeks is more than I can stay without a functional phone.

Thanks for your response. :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Ah, okay. Well, I'll just wait a few days and see how they compensate me for this. But honestly I am just so exhausted of both waiting and asking the Care people every week or two, that I don't even want to contact them again. Just a 'bad luck' experience, I suppose. I'll just explore the market for some more options now. Two more weeks is more than I can stay without a functional phone.

Thanks for your response. :)

Here's something that may keep your hopes up: A few days after I responded to your original post, I sent an email to Microsoft. Microsoft (USA (my mistake!) and Philippines) responded quickly to my concern, but their response looked like a formatted corporate-generated email. On the other hand, I've tweeted @LumiaHelp and they responded within several minutes - they said that they will notify me once my phone has been repaired. Two days ago, I called the service center, and they said that my phone was finally "repaired". All I need is to find time to go there directly.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Here's something that may keep your hopes up: A few days after I responded to your original post, I sent an email to Microsoft. Microsoft (USA (my mistake!) and Philippines) responded quickly to my concern, but their response looked like a formatted corporate-generated email. On the other hand, I've tweeted @LumiaHelp and they responded within several minutes - they said that they will notify me once my phone has been repaired. Two days ago, I called the service center, and they said that my phone was finally "repaired". All I need is to find time to go there directly.

Interesting. And this @lumiahelp is global? Or are there regional twitter accounts?
I dunno man. I did contact the manager directly (got his email address from the call center) yesterday but I haven't gotten a reply yet. Maybe he will do something. If he doesn't then I guess it's just whatever. A new device isn't exactly difficult to get for me, I was just holding out hope because I absolutely loved the L925. But phones come and go, no need to get a headache over them. :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. And this @lumiahelp is global? Or are there regional twitter accounts?
I dunno man. I did contact the manager directly (got his email address from the call center) yesterday but I haven't gotten a reply yet. Maybe he will do something. If he doesn't then I guess it's just whatever. A new device isn't exactly difficult to get for me, I was just holding out hope because I absolutely loved the L925. But phones come and go, no need to get a headache over them. :)

It seems global; I browsed through their recent tweets just now - they ask some people about their location but they don't seem to be redirecting them to another lumiahelp handle. Besides, I don't live in the US so they should have redirected me to a [some twitter handle]_PH if they weren't global.

What manager did you contact?

But, yeah, the next flagship could be just around the corner, and a lot of us are already at the edge of our seats for Microsoft's next moves anyway. :devil:

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
It seems global; I browsed through their recent tweets just now - they ask some people about their location but they don't seem to be redirecting them to another lumiahelp handle. Besides, I don't live in the US so they should have redirected me to a [some twitter handle]_PH if they weren't global.

What manager did you contact?

But, yeah, the next flagship could be just around the corner, and a lot of us are already at the edge of our seats for Microsoft's next moves anyway. :devil:

I see.
Well, the manager of the regional office here, I suppose. I really hope he can help, though I'm not keeping my hopes high.

And yes, very much looking forward to the next flagship. I hope MS announces something incredible.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just thought to update this thread. The call I received more than a month ago from the service center was a false positive - they said that someone else had the same name as mine and that it was his L1320 that was already repaired and sent back to the service center. Now the service center they were mentioning is at least 400km away from where I currently live, and my unit wasn't an L1320.

Nonetheless, a few minutes ago (27 minutes), I received a call from "Microsoft Mobile" giving me an update that my phone has been repaired for real this time. It was a local call, but the way the caller handled me was way more professional than those I talk to from the service center, probably with international standards of training (diction, courtesy, clarity of intent, straightforwardness, etc.).

I'll be claiming my phone in a few hours, hopefully I see what I want to.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Just thought to update this thread. The call I received more than a month ago from the service center was a false positive - they said that someone else had the same name as mine and that it was his L1320 that was already repaired and sent back to the service center. Now the service center they were mentioning is at least 400km away from where I currently live, and my unit wasn't an L1320.

Nonetheless, a few minutes ago (27 minutes), I received a call from "Microsoft Mobile" giving me an update that my phone has been repaired for real this time. It was a local call, but the way the caller handled me was way more professional than those I talk to from the service center, probably with international standards of training (diction, courtesy, clarity of intent, straightforwardness, etc.).

I'll be claiming my phone in a few hours, hopefully I see what I want to.

Lucky you. What are the odds of the first scenario happening, haha. I'm glad you're getting your phone back. I still haven't gotten mine. :/ :|

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, in the end the service center admitted that they made a mistake in encoding the data.haha

Got my L1020 back now, btw. Seems to be working well so far. I hope you'll receive your repaired phone soon, too.

Have you tried following them up recently? Their Twitter handle @LumiaHelp is very responsive, I'd suggest contacting them once in a while regarding your phone.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You dropped it by accident? Not on purpose? :)

Don't even get me started on Nokia "Care". I submitted my 925 twice because the phone connection ability was so bad, they would send it back saying it's fixed. When I sent it in the third time, they claimed it had had moisture in it - which it hadn't - and removed it from warranty.

When I opened it - all you need is a suction cup - to play with the antenna connections, the moisture detection was pure white. They just got tired of me, lied, and sent it back.

OP, I suggest you just wait until the 640 hits your carrier or MS. Everything the 925 has, plus removable battery, plus microSD card, plus bigger screen, but for $100-$130.

Niko-V

Banned
May 28, 2015
Visit site
Bought a phone of ebay, clean IMEI and all, phone does not get service anywhere, SIM card definitely works, even though the phone still has warranty on it they wont accept it because im not the original owner and ebay receipt is nothing to them. WTF, MS are getting as bad as Apple lately, Apple at least would give you a new/refurb phone instantly in the store if you had warranty on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz