05-02-2014 05:25 AM
425 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Doesn't matter if it is glossy or not. All it has to do is stop the light from being transmitted THROUGH the plastic. What it's doing is transmitting through the plastic, and at the opening by the lens, it is being transmitted out of the plastic, essentially giving a flare on the lens. You'd get the same effect if taking a picture with the sun hitting the lens, except in this case it's coming from all around the lens instead of from one point in the sky. That's why we use lens hoods on SLR cameras.
    07-12-2013 06:37 AM
    BTW - I'd be interested in seeing a picture taken with this flare. I don't have my Atmosphere yet.
    07-12-2013 06:38 AM
    Today in our lounge at work. 928 with the Poetic Atmosphere. Both flashes cause the halo. I agree that this is sad because I love the case.

wp_20130712_001.jpg
    kuya_wil likes this.
    07-12-2013 09:28 AM
    Today in our lounge at work. 928 with the Poetic Atmosphere. Both flashes cause the halo. I agree that this is sad because I love the case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130712_001.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	37328
    What do you guys hotbox your lounge during your break? lol

jk, but yeah that is quite the bummer! Luckily for me I rarely ever use flash (I typically get better results without it) but occasionally I do need it.

And what Hopmedic said, the glossiness would not matter at all. Good example is this black case I have on my phone already, I consider it to be very glossy but that has not effected my shots with flash enabled!
    07-12-2013 09:49 AM
    I looked at the screen shots for the poetic case on their website. The pictures are for their iPhone 5 version. Regardless, it shows the flash opening having the same rubbery material around the edges just like on the outside of the case. The 928's version doesn't have the little rubber material around the opening like the outside of the case. If they had done that, I imagine this wouldn't have been a problem.
    07-12-2013 10:44 AM
    For anyone looking, the Cyan Feather is finally back in stock on Incipio's website! I ordered mine and coupon code SUM20 still works for 20% off. Free shipping too!
    07-12-2013 11:54 AM
    I have the Poetic atmosphere and just took some test shots with flash and I am not seeing any lens flare. It looks to me like your lens is smudged.
    07-12-2013 01:20 PM
    I have the Poetic atmosphere and just took some test shots with flash and I am not seeing any lens flare. It looks to me like your lens is smudged.
    Took multiple shots with and without the case, the case causes lens flare for me.
    07-12-2013 02:09 PM
    From a physics standpoint, it makes perfect sense that the lens causes flare. But also from a physics standpoint, it should be a simple fix - just block the light from entering the plastic by putting something opaque on the edge of the plastic that surrounds the flash.
    07-12-2013 02:31 PM
    I just received the Poetic Atmosphere case as secondary case to the Incipio Feather case. I took some photos both with and without flash with the new case. I did not get the result that you guys are speaking of and that was shown above. Not sure what is different. I have the black 928, not sure if the combination of color of the phone and case would make a difference. What color phone does everyone have that is getting the glare?
    07-12-2013 04:36 PM
    I have a white 928. The night I received the case I took test pics with flash in my apt. No halo. I didn't get the halo until I tried to take a picture last night outside in the complete dark.
    07-12-2013 04:41 PM
    I have a white 928. The night I received the case I took test pics with flash in my apt. No halo. I didn't get the halo until I tried to take a picture last night outside in the complete dark.
    As soon as I can I will see what I get in complete darkness. But I am curious if the glossy finish on the white along with the case makes a difference.
    07-12-2013 04:57 PM
    Took a couple shots in a totally dark laundry room and still did not get the glare on the photos with the flash on.
    07-12-2013 05:42 PM
    my case should have been here today... USPS says they delivered it, but I have received absolutely no mail today.
    07-12-2013 08:58 PM
    Mine is "Out for delivery."
    07-13-2013 11:15 AM
    I just got mine. Gahhhh why didn't anybody tell me this was a hard case and provides almost no protection for the screen! Not to mention it is ridiculously slippery! And the buttons are hard as tits to press!
    nufan947 likes this.
    07-13-2013 11:42 AM
    I will say though, I have the glossy white 928 with this case and I haven't gotten any halo effects from it in my testing
    07-13-2013 11:52 AM
    Mine came today, and my white 928 looks sharp in it. I can't wait until my Decal Girl skin comes - an F/A-18 taking off from a carrier, with a flag background....

I did test it, and the light needs to be pretty low to notice the halo effect, but it's definitely there. My wife came up with a great suggestion, though... White fingernail polish. And for $1 at the Dollar General, and five minutes of time, the problem is solved. Here's the before, the after, and a picture of the "modified" case:

wp_20130713_013.jpg wp_20130713_016.jpg
    I took the picture of the recliner because the walls in the house are all light colored, so I couldn't get the halo to show up with much else. This is the darkest thing in my living room.

wp_20130713_015.jpg
    Yeah, it could have been a little neater, but it's been a day or two (or forever) since I painted my fingernails.

One thing I am disappointed about is that on their website it mentions that the rubber "nubs" in the corners are to prevent scratching. But they don't even touch whatever surface you lay the phone on due to the curvature of the phone. Come on... All they had to do is go in about another quarter of an inch with them, and it would have been perfect....

Oh, and yes, it is a VERY difficult case to remove.

Scorpio, did you take pictures of light-colored items in the laundry room? I'd suggest trying a picture of something dark-colored, in dim light, with flash, and you'll definitely notice the lens flare, as with the first picture of my recliner. Notice that the flare appears in the lower-left side of the picture. That's because when held in landscape, the flash is on the right and slightly above the lens (looking at it from the screen-side of the phone). The image projected onto the sensor is opposite reality. The lower-left of the chair is projected to the upper right of the sensor, and so forth. That's why the flare is at the lower-left of the image instead of the upper-right.
    Ryano89 likes this.
    07-13-2013 08:06 PM
    Here is one of the test pictures I took in my apartment immediately after getting the case and hearing about it halo'ing.

test-1.jpg

Here is one of the photo's I took the next night while walking the pup. Notice the flares...

flare-1.jpg
    Ryano89 likes this.
    07-13-2013 08:26 PM
    Been playing with the camera since yesterday in different lighting situations and objects. I still have not been able to reproduce the halo in the photo. One thing I have noticed is that a split second before the focus kicks in the halo effect shows on the camera display, but as soon as the camera focuses the halo is gone.

Edit: Just reproduced the effect finally. Like Hopmedic stated above appears to be a combination of the case, lighting level, and depending on the darkness/lightness of what are trying to take a picture of. Was actually going to do the same thing and either use some black nail polish or a permanent marker.
    07-13-2013 09:01 PM
    Has anybody tried the Poetic FlipBook case?

716vmcucj9l._sl1000_.jpg
    I've been looking for a thin case that will protect the screen while in my pocket and this looks like it will work. Amazon has it for $12.95. The comments refer to a smiliar flare/halo issue but a sharpie seems to fix it. It looks good in this video about the version for the HTC One. Check it out!

nufan947 likes this.
    07-14-2013 06:19 PM
    Has anybody tried the Poetic FlipBook case?
    +1! Also curious about how a case like this works on a 928. Looks kinda nice.
    07-15-2013 10:03 AM
    So would it be correct to assume that if you have a black 928 that you don't get flare with the poetic atmosphere case on?

Anyone got pics with their installed on the phone?
    07-15-2013 03:04 PM
    Is anyone with the Aegis Trident case getting lens flare? If so, which color(s) of the Aegis case would minimize flare, if any?

Also, a couple amazon reviews of the Aegis Trident mention that the sound comes out muffled due do the speaker being excessively covered. Anyone find this to be an issue with that case?
    07-15-2013 05:09 PM
    Does anyone know if the back of the flip book case is clear? Pictures tell me no. However, reviews for the flip book, palette, and atmosphere case are seemingly merged.
    07-16-2013 12:38 AM
425 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD