Pictures / Video taken with your 928

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Pictures/Videos taken with your 928!

These were all taken in a room with a single lamp with shade using with a 40 watt bulb 10 feet to the right of the window. The room was pretty dim. I used full auto everything, full auto no flash, night mode flash & no flash & close-up mode flash & no flash. The light photos are with no flash, the dark photos are with flash on. Amazing camera!!

Click on the photo to see full size:

Lumia 928 Close-up mode flash off.jpgLumia 928 close-up mode flash on 2.jpgLumia 928 close-up mode flash on.jpgLumia 928 Full auto flash off.jpgLumia 928 Full auto flash on.jpgLumia 928 night mode flash off.jpgLumia 928 Night mode flash on.jpg

MarkyD311

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Here's a short clip from band practice yesterday. We practice in a very small room. There's only one (!) 40w bulb lighting the entire space. The audio clarity is incredible given the circumstances; we crank it LOUD in there. Also, the lack of low-end (bass) would be because the bassist was absent, not some shortcoming on the phone's mic system.

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

The sound quality in the recordings is one of the major strengths of the 928 over most other devices. Outstanding.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Hey guys, have anything to say to this fellow, who says the 928 isn't worth the purchase due to a lousy xenon flash? Feel free to comment on their article:
Nokia Lumia 928 Review: Xenon Flash Is Not Worth the Purchase

I would take those results with a gain of salt. The WMPoweruser comments said it best: he probably had his finger covering the flash.

I am planning on trying it out myself tonight.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

I haven't taken many pictures with flash, but from the few photos I've taken the flash photos are brighter, picture quality is sharper. The only con compared to not using flash is that you get sharp glints from reflective objects, like glasses. I think there is something wrong with his review, like most.

Edit: flash photos do have a yellowish tint, but I was using automatic mode. It's just a matter of fixing the white balance, which I'm surprised the reviewer doesn't appear to know...

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Just noticed my flash doesn't go off even tho I've turned it on during the day. Was hoping to use that to motion freeze my subject like in the 808 commercial.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

I did a study of my own. This room is almost pitch black, small light in a room on other side of the house.

All shots with built in camera app.

All auto, no flash, no focus assist light
WP_20130520_013.jpg

All auto, no flash, focus assist light on
WP_20130520_012.jpg

Exposure 2, no flash, focus assist light on
WP_20130520_011.jpg

Exposure 2, xenon flash on, focus assist light on
WP_20130520_009.jpg

you be the judge.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Pardon my ignorance, but is there something that needs to be pressed to activate the xenon, or does it just "knows" to go on if the flash is set to on?
There is a flash on/off/auto toggle on the camera options

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

I did a study of my own. This room is almost pitch black, small light in a room on other side of the house.

Exposure 2, xenon flash on, focus assist light on
View attachment 34394

you be the judge.

Yup, everyone is mocking that guy for his poor review of the Xenon flash, in part for good reason give that the flash is covered by his finger in one picture, but I think this proves that the Xenon shots are currently much more yellow-tinged than the other shots.

Without seeing your room I don't know which is more accurate, but the Xenon shots mine takes seem too yellow to me. Which is fine, really, as I hardly use it (but I do), it's correctable in Photoshop, and I'd expect Nokia to roll around a correction within a month or two.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Although not universally true, I believe xenon flashes tend to be toward the bluish end of the spectrum. If the phone is white balancing that by adding yellow to the image, then you'll see a yellow/orange color shift as you get past where the flash is affecting the image as much. Perhaps the flash isn't quite bright enough when shooting from more than some number of feet from the subject, causing the image to look yellow. That would explain why it looks good on the closer flash shots we've seen. If the flash has the power to handle it, that would mean Nokia just needs to adjust its output in the software. If it's not strong enough, that's a little bit of an issue, since a xenon flash needs to work more than 3 feet away.

JamesForKing

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

WP_20130520_008.jpg
Here's another low light just for more comparison. Actually, it was no light. It was pitch black. So I'm pretty happy with it. And I just snapped it as I was walking in the door, didn't try too hard.

Also, I went to my pap's the other day to get hay for the horses and snapped some pics. Thought I'd share. There's a few at the end beginning that are around home. They're all daylight, only used flash for one two pics, one because I had it on by accident. Threw the food one in for the hell of it, who doesn't take those? https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=90437661455D68B6!1230&authkey=!AJCxGfW_Zy99Tik

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

still testing the camera. ProShot app is nice because it shows you blown highlights, in bright light the camera tends to over expose so dialing down the exposure compensation helps with light colored objects

lisainsf-albums116-34445.jpg

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

indoors I have noted the following white balance ones, you should perhaps perform the same tests on your cameras to know how your cameras perform. This was no flash indoors, window light only, not a particularly bright room but not dark either. Actual wall color is somewhere between auto and daylight, picture color is closer to auto

lisainsf-albums116-34448.jpg

lisainsf-albums116-34449.jpg

lisainsf-albums116-34450.jpg

lisainsf-albums116-34451.jpg

lisainsf-albums116-34452.jpg

kdittha

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I find that setting white balance to daylight when using the xenon flash reduces the yellow seen in some pictures, and the colors look much more natural.

egret85

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I am having an issue with picture coming out with a haze look to them. This mostly happens with night shots that have lights in them like this one:
WP_20130518_003.jpg

However, I have also seen a similar issue on day shots with lighter colored objects like this one:

WP_20130519_001.jpg

Both were taken with all auto settings, Flash Off. I had also cleaned the lens off before taking these since I thought that might be the issue. The night shot was taken beside my car with the headlights on. The daytime shot was in the middle of the day and had good room lighting coming from a window. I feel that I shouldn't have to tweak 15 different camera settings just to get a decent photo that is on par with other leading smartphone cameras in auto mode. In fact i'm having trouble getting picture that I would call better than my 2 year old HTC Trophy that I upgraded from. It's almost like the phone is going WAY overboard with image processing and screwing up the sharpness and white balance in the process.

Any Ideas? Did I get a bad device?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon