The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-13-2013 10:10 AM
62 123
tools
    Just picked a 928 up from Verizon yesterday, and it has the yellow tint and the gunk under the windows key. I'm going back this afternoon to exchange for a different one and see if its any better.
    06-19-2013 11:16 AM
    Picked up a black 928 last Friday with a small chunk taken out of the bottom right square of the windows symbol.
    06-19-2013 11:36 AM
    The weird thing is that although I still have a small amount of gunk under the start button my buttons have gotten whiter. When I first got the phone they were very yellow but now look uneven but white.
    06-19-2013 11:52 AM
    Picked up a black 928 last Friday with a small chunk taken out of the bottom right square of the windows symbol.
    I got mine on Monday from Newegg, same on mine as yours. The bottom right square of the Windows button has a small bit that's different. I'm fine with it for how small it is.
    06-19-2013 01:56 PM
    Does anyone know if any previous lumia models have had these odd capacitive button defects? The 928 is the first time I heard of discoloration or goopiness with capacitive buttons on any smart phone or tablet.
    06-19-2013 02:03 PM
    Funny I have been through 3 928's now. 1st was a black, and the screen right hand side wouldnt work. The buttons looked pretty good though. Was waiting for the black to get back in stock at amazon but couldnt wait anymore so I got a white one and on that one the vibrate sounded like it was in a tin can. Returned that one and got another black one so far so good but gunky capacitive buttons which I dont care about.

I think its some sort of glue, as mine have seeming gotten better over the last few days of having it but they still look gunky overall. Not a big deal for me. As long as I can see them in the dark and everything else works well its not a big deal for me.

Remember all of the yellow screens the iphone had a while back? That was due to glue not being totally set when people got the phones. It usually cleared up over time.
    06-19-2013 02:47 PM
    Sounds like the adhesive isn't going through the proper cure process. I know the screen is laminated sheets that are glued together, so this sounds like it may very well be the case. This is the kind of junk you see when either the assemblers don't properly follow the process, or corners are cut to get more devices out the door. Being in manufacturing you see the most unbelievable mistakes. Most of our products go through vibration testing. On some of them, the IC's are prone to either being ejected from the board - pads with them - or having their leads break a the device case when they are vibrated. To prevent this, the devices can be bonded to the board with bonding material. We had one board where the bonding material was applied to the top of one of the IC's but not down the side and on the board, where it needs to be to keep it from vibrating, and the device had numerous leads sheared at the case after vibration. Our ME's just go nuts wondering what the operator who bonded the device was thinking.

If you believe you may have a curing issue, use a blower drier on warm for few minutes and see if the issue starts to go away. Just don't get the battery too hot.
    pugpuggle and nufan947 like this.
    06-20-2013 08:21 PM
    Received it today. The backlight is slightly dimmer in the top left square of the Windows button, but there is nothing of the magnitude described by others, and I'm very satisfied.

Ordered from NewEgg on 6/16
    06-20-2013 09:55 PM
    Got the black one in today, and I would say the left side of the Start button is less bright than the right, but overall they look okay. My only complaint is that the haptic feedback is exceptionally weak. Like one tiny tick of vibration.
    06-20-2013 10:15 PM
    I'm getting a white 928 today so I'll have to check it out. I think you're right about there being some glue that isn't quite dried yet.

I remember one of the iPhones having some 'yellow' issue and it was that the glue wasn't dry yet and eventually it went away.

Also people were looking at it wrong.. (too soon?) :)
    hopmedic likes this.
    06-21-2013 09:01 AM
    Anyone see if the gunk on the keys have gone away over time? I wouldn't mind if they are a little yellow but the 928 I had before looked awful.
    06-28-2013 12:20 PM
    Is the gunk gone overtime and has the yellow become white over time?
    nufan947 likes this.
    06-28-2013 12:48 PM
    Is the gunk gone overtime and has the yellow become white over time?
    Mine have always looked "off white" and not that bright, but it looks "normal" to me. No "gunk" on my 928 buttons.
    06-28-2013 02:39 PM
    Mine have always looked "off white" and not that bright, but it looks "normal" to me. No "gunk" on my 928 buttons.
    That's great that you have no gunk. Supposedly the "off white" yellowness in the buttons is symptomatic of adhesive (glue) that didn't dry properly beneath the surface. One poster on the defects thread recommended taking a blow dryer to the phone for a bit of time without getting the battery too hot. Apparently that was a solution a few years ago when a bunch of IPhones shipped with yellow screens.
    06-28-2013 03:33 PM
    That's great that you have no gunk.
    Something that should never be said...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-28-2013 04:58 PM
    I have been dealing with the escalation team with Nokia for a little over a week now. My new device is in the mail as we speak. I will update as soon as I get it. They say they are going to put it through a thorough inspection to make sure the casing isnt loose, capacitive keys are not deformed, and the lighting is yellow.

My device started having phantom screen touches too and screen tearing when multi-tasking. Pretty rough model. Had great luck with my trophy and 8x. Had terrible luck with my 822...and 928 isnt off to a great start. Im hoping they took my feedback to heart.
    06-28-2013 08:37 PM
    I got mine back from service, they replaced the phone with a new one, it's still got the button problem. Not as bad as my first one but, it's still there.
    What was the turnaround time for this? Thinking of sending mine in for the vibrate. It's getting progressively worse.
    06-29-2013 11:26 AM
    The gunk for sure doesn't go away. Have had mine over a month and they are still funky and yellow and its still always bugs me.
    06-29-2013 10:02 PM
    Has anyone purchased a 928 recently and not had the issue with the "goopy" capacitive buttons? I'm curious if Nokia's quality team has a fix in place yet so we don't have the same issues people were having with the "first round" of devices.
    I got mine from VZW online on last week and the buttons look fine. They're never going to be perfectly white, but they're clearly defined and and even off-white, slightly yellowish color. Nothing at all objectionable.
    07-16-2013 01:50 PM
    amazon must have an old batch that's hit or miss because i've gotten two ugly phones in a row (my buddy got a good one from them, ordered at the same time). one without gunk but the back light is clearly uneven. from left to right the buttons get brighter. back arrow is very dull, home button is half and half, and search button is really bright (probably how they should all be). the replacement's buttons came looking like someone's yellow stained smoker's teeth and with gunk. exchanging again until i get one i'm happy with.
    07-17-2013 09:32 AM
    so on the third try i got one i'm happy with! 3rd time's the charm. evenly lit, non gunky, white-ish ever so slightly off-white hue and normal non-rattley vibration! will activate it today and send my current one back.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    07-19-2013 09:52 AM
    The buttons are fine on my L928. I've had it for over a week or so with no issues.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    07-19-2013 05:48 PM
    I got the 928 from Amazon on Monday (7/29) and my Home button had the defect. The sent me a new one and I got it today (7/31) and the Home button defect was even worse on this one. So I'm sending the replacement one back and then they'll send a third one. Hopefully third time's the charm.
    07-31-2013 10:47 PM
    it was for me! bought through amazon as well. they made it painless. essentially kept next day-ing me another. keep doing it until you get a good one =)
    07-31-2013 11:24 PM
    I picked up a White 928 last Friday (7/26) and my phone doesn't appear to have the button issue. If anything, you have to look really really close at the back button and maybe you can see it. I got mine directly from a Verizon store in Manhattan.
    Last edited by Square85; 08-01-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    08-01-2013 10:34 AM
62 123