Best Flashlight app for Nokia Lumia 928's Xenon flash?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I decided it's about time I get a flashlight app. I'd like one with the ability to use the camera's flash and also to illuminate the screen white. Most of the flashlight apps I've seen in the store boast about using the camera's LED flash, but the 928 doesn't have an LED flash, right? It has an Xenon flash. I have no idea what that means, though. Do these apps still utilize the Xenon flash? Any flashlight recommendations you have are welcome, even if they're not free.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I decided it's about time I get a flashlight app. I'd like one with the ability to use the camera's flash and also to illuminate the screen white. Most of the flashlight apps I've seen in the store boast about using the camera's LED flash, but the 928 doesn't have an LED flash, right? It has an Xenon flash. I have no idea what that means, though. Do these apps still utilize the Xenon flash? Any flashlight recommendations you have are welcome, even if they're not free.

Xenons whole idea is that the light bursts out at once. The light can't be constant.

Though no worries, Lumia 928 also has LED light for video. So there should be no problems.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My PIP app should work with the LED flash, but not the Xenon... As mentioned before, xenon is designed for short bursts... Which is why only the LED works when recording video. Although it might be a cool feature if you could get the Xenon flash to strobe while recording video.

... Sorry for the shameless plug ;)

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
My PIP app should work with the LED flash, but not the Xenon... As mentioned before, xenon is designed for short bursts... Which is why only the LED works when recording video. Although it might be a cool feature if you could get the Xenon flash to strobe while recording video.

... Sorry for the shameless plug ;)

actually, I appreciate the plug. I never would've found this app without it (if I was just searching for flashlight). It's really cool. A cool 'techno'-esque interface (I especially like the multi-color, and the Matrix-esque green line that runs down--although it might be nice to be able to toggle that on and off in the settings) and being able to change the directions display from English to Kanji is a nice touch! Lucky for you both my wife and I read Kanji and we are both in need of a compass/flashlight app, and we both have money left from the $25 app store credit from when we bought our Lumia 928s, so maybe you'll have 2 more purchase coming your way soon ;)

My suggestions are:
1. I love the ability to customize the colors (especially in multi-colored mode), but it would be nice to have a default color scheme and a "return to default" button in case I screw things up too much. Also, it would be nice to have a few more colors (especially a lighter background option, like a white/offwhite, and the ability to have a non-textured background too--toggle on or off).
2. I like the ability to change the flashlight from LED to screen. How about an option to turn them both on simultaneously (a double-sided flashlight!)
3. When you calibrate the compass, it doesn't tell you when to stop. If you could change it so that it notifies you that the calibration is complete, that would help a lot (similar to the Nokia City Lens, which vibrates to let you know the calibration is complete).

My questions are:
1. What do the numbers mean in the upper left and lower right corners mean. Like it says, 223 ^ SW and 44 v NE. That means it's 223 degrees (or some other measurement? maybe put a little degree symbol there) some direction from SW (to SW?). I guess I don't know how to read a compass...
2. I assume if I buy the full version the ads go away, right? Does the compass then extend to take up the full screen?

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback!

My suggestions are:
1. I love the ability to customize the colors (especially in multi-colored mode), but it would be nice to have a default color scheme and a "return to default" button in case I screw things up too much. Also, it would be nice to have a few more colors (especially a lighter background option, like a white/offwhite, and the ability to have a non-textured background too--toggle on or off).
2. I like the ability to change the flashlight from LED to screen. How about an option to turn them both on simultaneously (a double-sided flashlight!)
3. When you calibrate the compass, it doesn't tell you when to stop. If you could change it so that it notifies you that the calibration is complete, that would help a lot (similar to the Nokia City Lens, which vibrates to let you know the calibration is complete).

1. A default option wouldn't be too difficult to add. The color options were chosen by taking the default WP theme colors and adding a few extras that are tweaked. I'll take a look at allowing for adjustment of the background texture and making a white or light option... I've been toying with the idea of adding a color cycling option, where you could pick 2 colors and it would slowly cycle back and forth between the two… This would require a complete reworking of the settings screen, but nothing too terribly difficult.. although on multi colored mode it could become a bear ;)

2. That wouldn't be too hard to add either.

3. It should tell you a "percentage" of accuracy and once you are at or below 10, It should say complete just after the number... what I might do is make the button say "cancel" and when it is at an acceptable level, change it to "Complete".

My questions are:
1. What do the numbers mean in the upper left and lower right corners mean. Like it says, 223 ^ SW and 44 v NE. That means it's 223 degrees (or some other measurement? maybe put a little degree symbol there) some direction from SW (to SW?). I guess I don't know how to read a compass...
2. I assume if I buy the full version the ads go away, right? Does the compass then extend to take up the full screen?

1. Basically "N", "W", "SW" are general directions ahead of you (top left) and behind you (bottom right) and the numbers next to them are a degree listing with 0 or 360 @ North, 90 @ East, 180 @ South, and 270 @ West.

2. Yes, the ads go away with the paid version... here is a screen capture without ads...

wp_ss_20130819_0002.jpg

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Ah! I see the "Done" part of the calibration screen now. That makes more sense. I guess if the "Done" announcement was even just a tad bit more noticeable (like in a box with a different colored background) that would suffice.

Thanks for taking my feedback into consideration. It's always nice to see app developers acknowledge suggestions, even if the suggestions are not feasible (most of us aren't developers and have really no idea how hard it is to do things, so we just throw stuff out there--speaking of that, the only other thing I could think of that would be really cool is listing the current coordinates, but I imagine that is not easy to do...probably would have to implement some GPS feature or something, but it's just a suggestion. Don't feel obligated to do too much--the app is excellent as is and my wife and I will be purchasing it presently. All the other flashlight/compass apps look the same. I like the unique interface of this one I'll also add it to my Nokia "App Social" list of "Apps I love", to help get the word out. Cheers!

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Ah! I see the "Done" part of the calibration screen now. That makes more sense. I guess if the "Done" announcement was even just a tad bit more noticeable (like in a box with a different colored background) that would suffice.

Thanks for taking my feedback into consideration. It's always nice to see app developers acknowledge suggestions, even if the suggestions are not feasible (most of us aren't developers and have really no idea how hard it is to do things, so we just throw stuff out there--speaking of that, the only other thing I could think of that would be really cool is listing the current coordinates, but I imagine that is not easy to do...probably would have to implement some GPS feature or something, but it's just a suggestion. Don't feel obligated to do too much--the app is excellent as is and my wife and I will be purchasing it presently. All the other flashlight/compass apps look the same. I like the unique interface of this one I'll also add it to my Nokia "App Social" list of "Apps I love", to help get the word out. Cheers!

To me the best part is the bit in the description about traversing the wastelands while avoiding the fallout! You have my 99 cents just for that :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes