"play smart dj mix" grayed out

Winger67

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I have to wonder why Microsoft makes things so difficult. I use to use the Smart DJ feature all the time on my Trophy and WP7. Now on my 928 the option to "play smart dj mix" is grayed out and I can't figure out why. It shouldn't be this difficult. Any help?

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I have this same problem. I'm starting to wonder if you need an Xbox Music account. I just don't have the need for a paid monthly account for music. I have all the music I want. If this Smart DJ feature is only available for Xbox Music subscribers...well, that's just stupid. Even iTunes on iPhones have a Smart DJ feature.

Winger67

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I even tried to set set up an xbox music account. Still no luck. So stupid. Bring back my Zune music player I don't even get the artist photos or info in the background any more. Any third-party music apps that will give us a similar feature?

Winger67

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Spent way too much time on this. I found out the artist "Lorde" for what ever reason allows me to smart DJ. That's the only artist. Thought maybe it's the way I loaded music so I deleted all my music from the phone. Tried the phone app as well as copying music with Explorer. Lorde is still the only artist that allows smart DJ. WTF? Guess I better keep the HTC Trophy for a music player.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I even tried to set set up an xbox music account. Still no luck. So stupid. Bring back my Zune music player I don't even get the artist photos or info in the background any more. Any third-party music apps that will give us a similar feature?

Unfortunately, I do not know of any. It seems to me that the music apps are limited by what the stock music player allows. The music player and the app store have been the two biggest disappointments for me with my L928. I love everything else - but the music player. So much so that I don't even use my phone anymore as a music player. I've resorted to my, dare I say it, iPod (*gasp*).

But like you, I have one artist that allows for Smart DJ Mix - Breaking Benjamin. Ironically, they're the only artist on my phone that has the background image showing. All of my other music does not have the background image or Smart DJ Mix enabled. I don't know if it has to do with metadata or what. Highly annoying though.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Only artists bought off the Store seem to work for me.

Yup. That or the meta data has to 100% match the meta data from the XBOX music app on windows 8. I spent hours matching the meta data on my music to the Xbox music app, and just barely ended up with only about 60% of my music with smart DJ ability (was only on a few albums prior).

The WP8 music app and desktop app is just so far behind and frustrating compared to the Zune app on WP7 and the Zune desktop software in terms of ease of use and function.

Winger67

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Recently added some more music hoping the latest Black update made improvements by some miracle. Nope. Still terribly little function of Smart DJ. So sad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes