I broke the screen of my Lumia 930

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just take out insurance with PROTECT MY BUBBLE they even cover for phones over warranty. Max is 18 months old. For my 1520 its ?6.99 a month. So if after a year I break my phone I will take out insurance then claim a few weeks after. All legal too

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
if it makes you feel any better... My phone dropped off the table whilst having lunch.. No cracked screen, just a little dent in the top left corner... Slightly devastated :unhappysweat::straight:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Well just adding to that it's only a few weeks since our dog knocked my Moto G off the coffee table. The phone bounced a good way, we have quite a big lounge, and bounced up and cracked the TV screen. Only consolation was the phone is perfectly fine!

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your phone. Every screen will unfortunately brake if it lands on the "right" spot. Gorilla glas or not. My girlfriend took over my old Lumia 800. I've never witnessed a phone fly in the sky so many times and still hold up. But on like the 15'th drop it totally broke. It was living on overtime since long the way it was handled.

However I'm also curious on how the aluminium frame handled the fall. I know black iPhones gets marks very easily and look old fast. Even so I got a black one as I see it as the most stylish one. Though I hope it's not as sensitive to scuff marks.

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
l930gg3_1.jpgl930gg3_2.jpgI also have a crack at the bottom left under the back button. I put it on a glassy table normally and the crack happened. Because of this crack, Nokia care told me there is no way to replace the phone if any part inside the phone defect!!. Also, they told me if there is any hardware need a fix, replace or if they are going to replace the phone with a new one, I'll have to pay $210 just for the gorilla glass 3!!

check the two pics

Last edited:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
That hasn't just "happened", that's an impact break.

It may not have broken at the time of impact but something has hit that and weakened it to the point where another slight knock has seen it give way.

Glass doesn't just break, if it did windows would be shattering all around us on a daily basis. It breaks for one reason and that is when pressure is placed upon it.

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been watching this forum and other websites about the Lumia 930 because I am considering to get one sooner or later. Probably later, so I can be sure that I'll receive one from a later batch, after reading about various issues and needing to get it replaced up to four times before getting one with no issues. I've seen a topic ( discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Nokia-930-Screen-2-days-later/td-p/2826120 ) on the Nokia support forums from someone who claims that his 930's screen cracked from a one-foot drop on cement, which is very sad if that's true. I think that the weakness in the glass may be in the curve around the edges, since when the phone falls and hits the ground with the curved part of the screen, it would cause peak pressure since the impact is not evenly levelled out as opposed to regular flat screens. I'm quite eager to see drop tests of the 930 on YouTube, currently there's only a scratch test video with a big knife.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I think that the weakness in the glass may be in the curve around the edges, since when the phone falls and hits the ground with the curved part of the screen, it would cause peak pressure since the impact is not evenly levelled out as opposed to regular flat screens

Maybe not so much that but the fact that the screen is probably a lot thinner on the curved edges, almost like a slice of glass has been shaved from the edges to create the curve. The back side of the glass is probably flat so it will be very thin at the edges.

And of course we have no idea how thick it is. I remember reading on the Corning site that GG3 can be between 0.5mm and 2.0mm thick but the thicker it is the more it will cost, so it's probably closer to 0.5 than 2.0mm. Even at the thick end we have to remember that 2mm is still a very, very thin sheet of glass, toughened or not.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 75505View attachment 75506I also have a crack at the bottom left under the back button. I put it on a glassy table normally and the crack happened. Because of this crack, Nokia care told me there is no way to replace the phone if any part inside the phone defect!!. Also, they told me if there is any hardware need a fix, replace or if they are going to replace the phone with a new one, I'll have to pay $210 just for the gorilla glass 3!!

check the two pics

I am sorry but as someone else noted, that did not just happen. That is absolutely a clear impact fracture, In fact, you can even make out the point of impact. In this case, I can't even see how this was a delayed reaction fracture since it does not show indications of stress fracturing, just direct impact.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I think a lot of people are also forgetting that just having the Gorilla Glass there is protecting the actual screen which would probably cost a lot more to replace. A few years ago your phone would have been history if dropped under the same circumstances.

I have to admit one of the things I don't like about the 930 is the back could have been a lot grippier, it isn't the easiest phone to grip safely. I like the bright green back so I didn't want a flip case (don't like them anyway) but I have come close to dropping mine twice and have a feeling I might just need to reconsider.

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
For my case it was 4cm fall on a glass table. My iPhone 4 fell down from 1m and didn't crack. My brother has iPhone 5 and has a 70% glass crack from a 50cm fall. It's the gorilla glass 3. If my 930 fell down from a higher distance, you would notice a scratch on the aluminum border. Check again my photos.

I'm not complaining about how bad is 930. I love it and happy to have it. But the replacing price of the glass is too much for its quality hardness.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Is a screen protector really necessary with GG3? I'm not sure I understand the point of them. I thought GG3 was pretty difficult to scratch and a protector isn't likely to save it from breaking in the event of a fall.

I have had my phone in my pocket or bag a few times with coins and keys and there are a couple of marks on the back as a result, but absolutely nothing on the front screen.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I use a Skinomi screen protector on my 930, mainly due to the fact I don't want oily finger prints on the screen.

The job I do a smart phone really need's additional protection so in this instance screen protector, Nokia case & insurance.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I always use screen protectors, I have the magical capability to scratch any glass given :D
But if you use one, I'd use a wet apply one due to the curved edges. the one in the picture is just a 2€ for 6 eBay thing while waiting for a good one, Zagg are the only ones with free shipping to europe :D and they're really good

Littleme200

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Mine too, cracked in the exacts same place as this from only about a foot distance from the floor. I was taking it out of its case so I could charge it on the wireless plate I have and it slipped. Got in touch with O2 and no joy. Hoping to hear back from Nokia as was quoted by a few repair shops for a new screen ranging from ?150 - ?190! Ridiculous!

Paul215821

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
That's very unfortunate. I've been lucky. My 930 has taken several tumbles onto a tile floor already from about 5 feet (my own fault for trying to carry too much stuff at once) but so far the only damage are some dings on the metal frame. It's certainly sturdier than my 8X, which cracked badly after a fall from merely a foot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abigial