07-21-2014 06:43 AM
55 123
tools
    The 930's video-OIS really sucks. My electronic iphone 5s stabilization is way better.
    Tested this today while driving my car.
    Really? Show us some footage - it'd be interesting to see. Compared videos with my uncle's 5S on a rollercoaster and my 1020 - my video turned out waaay smoother than his. Also the 930's OIS is almost the same as the 1520's, which is a drastic improvement over the 1020's
    07-13-2014 03:02 AM
    lol so much n00bs in this thread :)
    help out, smart-***
    there's no use of a knowledge if you don't teach people
    Donny James likes this.
    07-13-2014 03:12 AM
    lol so much n00bs in this thread :)
    No ****, why make it more complicated than it needs to be just to take a bloody picture! Of course people will ask questions
    cjono and Donny James like this.
    07-13-2014 05:09 AM
    I think this happens with all cameras, or at least all phone cameras.

I have a 1020m and as I recall, I can only get a 38mp photo or something like that. There's a data loss as it's put into a file; since there's no way to shoot in RAW(RAW is a lossless picture file format), the photos default to .jpg, which is a compression format. Hope this helps.

-SVL
    What are you talkting about? You can shoot in RAW. It's only never 41 MP, because the Sensor is round, so 16:9 and 4:3 uses different Areas of the 41 MP Sensor.
    07-13-2014 05:25 AM
    So after a day with the 930 I'm finding myself a little underwhelmed by the camera.

The images taken in comparison to my iphone 5s are not that great and are looking terribly grainy. Considering the camera is meant to be 20mp, I'm a little confused to why we don't have the option to utilise the full 20mp camera. But are stuck with 5mp and a 16mp image to crop?!

I am new to this new Lumia experience so maybe someone can shed some light on apps or ways to improve my images.

Other than this camera issue the phone feels great to use, and feels well crafted.

Thanks in advance.
    It's possible you have a 930 with a bad camera module. I had 3 replacement 920's, all with bad cameras. - the 4th is flawless.
    Also, make sure the subject is well lit, some reviews are saying the 930 struggles in low-light.
    Last edited by Pete The Penguin; 07-13-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    07-13-2014 08:17 AM
    Thank you WPCentral yo my rescue lol

Latest ProShot update has additional Lumia resolution options and more | Windows Phone Central

Just tested this app... My god my photos have improve 100x!!!!
    There you go!
    I hope MSFT merge the best features of Nokia camera and the stock camera, plus add some features from Pro Shot.
    07-13-2014 08:23 AM
    Has anyone tried the new update for Nokia Camera (Ver 4.8.1.1) just wanted to know if there are any picture quality improvements??

Thanks

Just downloaded the update, will try tomorrow...
    Last edited by Psyclone71; 07-14-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    07-14-2014 12:56 PM
    Not yet but will do
    07-14-2014 01:14 PM
    Any one noticed the purple haze on the front camera?
    07-14-2014 01:16 PM
    Alright chill, Most Lumias from the 9xx line or higher series can outperform the 5S and any other high end smartphone, is just a matter of playing with the manual controls, first of all if all you guys wanted was a point and shoot phone then there is the iPhone, really.

These kind of complains sounds like when people use DSLRS on best buy and get disappointed by the results of using the auto mode...

JUST SAYING.
    07-14-2014 02:28 PM
    I have found there is more of a learning curve with windows phone than other OS's.

While some pics turn out fine, others not so. As I have said many times the camera has more features than other OS's.

Why not instead of attacking posts, try providing advice or help.

Heck why not be useful and provide some setting you find have helped. This guy did ones for the D3100 and helped me learn about my DSLR!

http://www.cameratips.com/d3100/cheat-cards

With our combined experiences there could a be a great resource for all WP newcomers.
    grumtrias and bsbharath1987 like this.
    07-14-2014 02:47 PM
    Really? Show us some footage - it'd be interesting to see. Compared videos with my uncle's 5S on a rollercoaster and my 1020 - my video turned out waaay smoother than his. Also the 930's OIS is almost the same as the 1520's, which is a drastic improvement over the 1020's
    I am interested as well... today I tried to shot video during walk to home, and I am wondering if video gone bad due to my hands or bad OIS.
    07-14-2014 02:50 PM
    I have found there is more of a learning curve with windows phone than other OS's.

While some pics turn out fine, others not so. As I have said many times the camera has more features than other OS's.

Why not instead of attacking posts, try providing advice or help.

Heck why not be useful and provide some setting you find have helped. This guy did ones for the D3100 and helped me learn about my DSLR!

Moose's Nikon D3100 Cheat Sheets for Beginners

With our combined experiences there could a be a great resource for all WP newcomers.

Ok, I might have been a little too aggressive but I hate when people say false statements like the guy who said "The 930's video-OIS really sucks. My electronic iphone 5s stabilization is way better.<<<<<---------------------LIAR!

More than settings you should try to understand every photography term found on the camera like ISO, shutter speed, bokeh, etc.) to know what settings change before even taking the picture. Yes this doesn't sound very glamorous but once you start you'll take some amazing shots, some people find very hard to believe that some of my best pictures were taken with my 920 and not with my Nikon.

Most importantly, you don't need to pay a single dime to learn these things!, search on photography forums (heck, even here!) for some advise, I'll recommend you to read DPReview.com, some say this site is one of the best when it comes to photography.

Yes, the 930/1520 might not take better-than-5s pictures on auto mode but once you learn how to use manual settings you will find that Lumias can take pictures that no other phone can which make them very versatile phones when it comes to photography.

Also, if you don't know I'll recommend you to learn how to use photoshop to improve your images, because images taken with such a small sensor tend to need at least a little tweak to be perfect. Or if you don't want to get into much info then you should buy the full version of photoshop express for windows phone, you'll be surprised/amazed/ of the quality of the app (it is one of the few apps that let you save full res pictures and includes some things not present in FhotoRoom.
    07-14-2014 04:18 PM
    I already use lightroom and photoshop, they are in my cc subscription. Never really felt the need to use it on a photo taken on my mobile device though.

So far the images I have taken on the 930 have been mind blowing or complete crap lol the flower one I posted in the other thread is by far my fave so far. I've also managed to get some good ones of my 5mth old son. But I'm sure you understand why I wont post these.

My biggest issue with iphone is the images were blurry once viewed on larger screens. I have so far found the 930 to be a little better. But as I said lots of playing go get used to the settings.

I'm sure in time ill be taking as good shot on my 930 as I do on my Nikon.
    07-14-2014 04:30 PM
    I think you guys are missing the point of the 5 MP photo that is produced with Nokia Procam. One of the main features of Pureview cameras is taking the 41 MP or 20 MP image & oversampling (combining) the pixels in 7:1 or 4:1 ratio to create a very high quality 5 MP image that is better than most 8,13 or 16 MP photos from standard camera phones.

For reference:

Why the Nokia Lumia 1020 Oversampled Image is 5MP?

With that being said I wish they did offer an 8 MP oversampled image with a 3:1 oversampled ratio
    07-14-2014 09:04 PM
    I don't think it is necessarily true that you need to use manual setting to take great pictures with your Lumia. Auto mode works great most of the time in normal conditions. You only need manual settings for more challenging situations, for example taking pictures with strong light source from background (and subject in shadow), or when shooting in lowlight. The most important thing to do, is always examine your shots, if it is poor then identify the cause and the right settings to use.

But, if you're out and about on a bright sunny day, you should be able to take great pics (WAY better than the iPhone 5S) in auto-mode. I consider myself to be highly proficient with my camera settings and I use auto mode probably 70% of the time.
    07-14-2014 10:58 PM
    I don't think it is necessarily true that you need to use manual setting to take great pictures with your Lumia. Auto mode works great most of the time in normal conditions. You only need manual settings for more challenging situations, for example taking pictures with strong light source from background (and subject in shadow), or when shooting in lowlight. The most important thing to do, is always examine your shots, if it is poor then identify the cause and the right settings to use.

But, if you're out and about on a bright sunny day, you should be able to take great pics (WAY better than the iPhone 5S) in auto-mode. I consider myself to be highly proficient with my camera settings and I use auto mode probably 70% of the time.
    Nope, it depends on what do you want to capture, and by this I'm not talking about the subject, I'm talking about the desired effect of the photo. Shure, most of the time auto will be ok for the vast majority of users but some people will continue to complain because the think 5S oversaturated pictures look better, which of course is false.
    07-18-2014 12:24 AM
    Some people also think that Galaxy S5 over sharpened, over contrasty with very poor dynamic range photos look better.
    07-18-2014 12:59 AM
    Nope, it depends on what do you want to capture, and by this I'm not talking about the subject, I'm talking about the desired effect of the photo. Shure, most of the time auto will be ok for the vast majority of users but some people will continue to complain because the think 5S oversaturated pictures look better, which of course is false.
    You can't change parameters like saturation, sharpness and noise reduction in the camera app. The manual control only involves focus, white balance and exposure-related settings. For the most part, I find the auto settings for exposure, ISO and shutter speed to be adequate. Auto focus is okay except in lowlight. White balance can be tricky but generally ok. Of course we can have difference in opinion on saturation, sharpening etc but those are not the manual options available in the camera app.
    07-18-2014 01:24 AM
    You can't change parameters like saturation, sharpness and noise reduction in the camera app. The manual control only involves focus, white balance and exposure-related settings. For the most part, I find the auto settings for exposure, ISO and shutter speed to be adequate. Auto focus is okay except in lowlight. White balance can be tricky but generally ok. Of course we can have difference in opinion on saturation, sharpening etc but those are not the manual options available in the camera app.
    Well that is because normally things like sharpening, saturation and noise reduction are filters applied on studio (aka PS) because you just can't rely on a smartphone viewfinder (the same way you can't rely on a DSLR's viewfinder), there are apps that may let you do that but that is not the optimal way to do it.
    07-18-2014 11:47 AM
    Well today showed the disadvantage of the Lumia camera. We had family come over from NZ, and while giving presents out to the kids I tried to take pics. And well they didn't come out well. Where as my partners iPhone worked great.

I know the whole discussion has been about setting up etc but sometimes a camera phone doesn't need to be a DSLR!

Its not like I can tell people to.wait while I set up my phone to take a picture. Any way a couple turned out ok.

Microsoft really need to work on the whole point and shoot feature of the Windows Phone platform.
    Robinsonmac likes this.
    07-18-2014 12:08 PM
    Well today showed the disadvantage of the Lumia camera. We had family come over from NZ, and while giving presents out to the kids I tried to take pics. And well they didn't come out well. Where as my partners iPhone worked great.

I know the whole discussion has been about setting up etc but sometimes a camera phone doesn't need to be a DSLR!

Its not like I can tell people to.wait while I set up my phone to take a picture. Any way a couple turned out ok.

Microsoft really need to work on the whole point and shoot feature of the Windows Phone platform.

Could you put the original pictures here for comparison?
    07-18-2014 02:48 PM
    I am assuming you are referring to the shot to shot time. Admittedly , it sucks, but understand a lot of folks buy these Lumias for the quality of the camera not the speed. I suggest Proshots burst mode. The Proshot app is definitely worth the money and the only thing it lacks is DNG support (not the fault of the developer)...I am certain if he had access or was ever to get it this app would be everyones default camera! As far as missing shots, thats the nature of photography...I suggest playing with your camera and its settings alot, in all types of situations ( low light, sunlight, night , flash , no flash, stills , actions) and try to produce the best photo ... Eventually it will become second nature to decide what settings you need. This is another reason I endorse Proshot...You can save your custom settings for certain situations. Remember , the best camera is the one you have with you..
    07-18-2014 02:49 PM
    Na it was just the pictures in general didn't come out well. Some were really dark for example. Others came out alright.

Once again its just a learning experience. Least next time ill know to make sure the lighting is ok.

Just goes to show really, just how basic the iphone camera was... Point, shoot done. No wonder a few pics looked blurry when viewed larger. Not had that so much on my 930.
    07-18-2014 04:05 PM
    Well, I always found with my old iPhone 5 camera that I'd have to take a LOT of pics, like one after another (which the iPhone is good at) to be able to get one single usable picture. That meant tons of waste too. Whereas on a Lumia (I have a 1020) it would take a little more planning, but in general the shots would be way better.

This is also a big reason I use Proshot cam. Lets me dial in the shutter speed (for kids running, flowing water shots, etc). And also the ability to choose a larger saved resolution to my camera roll. I kinda hate the way Nokia's cam handles their high res shots, making them hidden, while giving you a piddly little 5mp sample to work with in the camera roll. Yes, I know there are ways around this, but its a PITA.
    thatuxguy likes this.
    07-18-2014 04:45 PM
55 123