07-24-2015 11:36 AM
411 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    can EVERYONE facing this issue please tweet @NokiaHelps regarding the overheating issue as they don't seem to be taking me seriously. It could be of great help to us all.

Let me know how you get on.

thanks
    I did, never got a reply.
    Looks like I'm calling the UK office on Monday to get advice.
    07-27-2014 10:20 PM
    Mine gets hot during overnight charge. Cools down as soon as I disconnect from the charger. What is it up to during charging?
    07-28-2014 03:41 AM
    I took my 930 to the store last week due to the heat and purple screen issues. The heat had already caused the back cover to start getting loose where the heat feels the most. They sent it to the service for a check-up. Instead of fixing anything the repair center sent back a new device with no comments as to what was wrong with the earlier device.

Can't say much about the heat just yet but it would seem that the display is a bit better. At least the purple/darker gradient shade isn't as obvious as before though I think the top area of the screen is still slightly darker than the bottom area.
    07-28-2014 04:09 AM
    I notice I can surf, use facebook, play youtube videos, with it getting comfortably warm.. but when I start using whatsapp to text someone (or whichever app that requires text input), it begins cooking my hand.
    The virtual keyboard may be one of the parts of the OS that aren't yet fully optimized. It also misses taps occasionally, a problem that I didn't have in older WP's.
    07-28-2014 05:04 AM
    Mine gets hot during overnight charge. Cools down as soon as I disconnect from the charger. What is it up to during charging?
    It will heat up while charging, all electronics do.
    07-28-2014 02:19 PM
    I did, never got a reply.
    Looks like I'm calling the UK office on Monday to get advice.
    Spoke to Nokia UK, they advised taking my 930 to a service centre and said they'll arrange for a replacement.

They haven't said what's wrong though.
    07-28-2014 02:21 PM
    Hi guys.

Tweeted Nokia @NokiaHelps UK today and first off they tried to give it the old "Smartphones heat up" I explained I knew that but this burns up! They tweeted back and forth and certainly seemed to be ignorant of the issue. Recommended the usual reinstall troublesome apps, switch off background tasks. I sent them a link to this forum and promised to report back on my issues. I also sent the below pic wanting to know if it was a joke....

930.jpg
    07-29-2014 10:33 AM
    Hi guys.

Tweeted Nokia @NokiaHelps UK today and first off they tried to give it the old "Smartphones heat up" I explained I knew that but this burns up! They tweeted back and forth and certainly seemed to be ignorant of the issue. Recommended the usual reinstall troublesome apps, switch off background tasks. I sent them a link to this forum and promised to report back on my issues. I also sent the below pic wanting to know if it was a joke....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	930.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	73877
    I have also pointed them to this forum.

I hate it when they give it the phone gets warm due to apps etc etc. first off I know that I'm not stupid and second it gets roasting hot to the point it deforms the polycarbonate back slightly.

My god! My iPhone has t had any of these issues! Looks like I could be waiting for the iPhone 6 at this rate! They haven't even communicated on the problem
    how1ard likes this.
    07-29-2014 02:09 PM
    No issue on my 930 other than intensive gaming. Standard. Had the 920, 925 before and 5s in between. Nothing out of the ordinary thus far..this phone couldn't be better tbh
    07-29-2014 02:24 PM
    Hi all. My 930 screen flickers when I'm connected to 2g. Its only happened a couple of times because I usually have good reception. I see this is a problem in Germany, but is anyone in the UK experiencing the same issue? Also, my back polycarbonate panel is slight raised by the camera button on either side, it doesn't sit flush with the metal band. Is this usual too?
    07-29-2014 02:29 PM
    If I may bring a glimpse of hope here...
    I changed my overheating 930 for a new one yesterday. I plan to start using it gradually to monitor if/when things would turn bad.

Back home, I kept it charging in flight mode until this morning. The phone remained totally cool during the charge.
    I unplugged it this morning and kept it in flight mode until I arrived at work 2 hours later. The battery was 99% then, which was already encouraging considering that my previous one used to lose about 20% in flight mode over the night (approx. 9 hours).
    At work, I switched out of flight mode and connected to some WiFi, so it started the massive first-time update. I didn't use it much beyond installing WeChat and chatting a little bit. Now I just come back from lunch where I read the news and browsed a couple of web pages. It stayed cool the whole time (the previous one would clearly have got hot in such a usage). The battery now reads 86%... I would say that in similar usage, the previous one would have been at 50% or below.

It is rather obvious that this phone is "normal". I had a buggy one for 10 days and I know the difference.
    Now I should mention that I didn't fully finish the setup, notably I haven't declared any email account. I will continue setting it up gradually over the next days (with email accounts, apps that handle notifications, activating more things in settings...) to see if it remains as good as it is now. Of course, I will keep you posted here.
    07-29-2014 11:57 PM
    It goes same with me, I got new Lumia 930 2 days ago.. It heats up like hell with five minutes of usage. :-(
    07-30-2014 01:48 AM
    Coming late to this thread, but wanted to add that my 930 (which, in case it is relevant, came with the 51003 firmware preinstalled) has never had this overheating issue. It will get a little warm in heavy use, but nothing I'd describe as hot. It also got quite hot after 3 hours in the car on a charger with the GPS running, but cooled back down to normal within minutes.

Maybe I'm lucky, but it does feel like maybe there has been a bad batch...
    07-30-2014 05:12 AM
    There quite possibly was a bad batch early on - I got a replacement 930 yesterday. The original would drop 20% in just over an hour with incredible overheating in the bottom right hand corner, and was like that from day one.

This new device is cool as anything. Gets warm but I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about (and I'm probably only noticing it due to the original getting very hot). It's been off charge now for 4 hours, and I'm currently at 93% with usage.
    07-30-2014 05:28 AM
    Hopefully its was really only a bad batch. I've returned my white 930 from o2 Germany and just today ordered a black one non carrier version. I hope this new one will be fine.
    07-30-2014 07:15 AM
    Finally got my return bag from phones 4 u yesterday and will post my faulty one back in the way home from work.

Hopefully I should get my new one by sat fingers crossed it's a good one.
    07-30-2014 08:26 AM
    Is there a way to make a poll in this thread to check how many people have issues with overheating and how many don't?
    something like

I have issues with phone overheating
    I don't have issues with phone overheating
    07-30-2014 10:14 AM
    It seem mine got a lot better after a hard reset. No big heat issues and better battery time. Still not as good as my iPhone but acceptable.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    07-30-2014 11:23 AM
    I installed GTA and the phone gets ridiculously hot at the bottom left hand corner where the search button is (when holding the phone length wise to play). The screen gets that hot that normally you place your finger on the bottom left of the screen to bring up the cursor, it no longer functions correctly.
    07-31-2014 10:11 AM
    My Icon used to overheat and have excessive battery drain even with simple tasks until I realized that my email accounts were constantly syncing in the background - they were set to "based on my usage" / "As items arrive". I set them to 1 hour and my situation improved. I also turned off all the "sync my settings" options. Also make sure to manage the background tasks using Battery Saver.
    Last edited by Dreamspell; 07-31-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    07-31-2014 11:07 AM
    My Icon used to overheat and have excessive battery drain even with simple tasks until I realized that my email accounts were constantly syncing in the background - they were set to "based on my usage" / "As items arrive". I set them to 1 hour and my situation improved. I also turned off all the "sync my settings" options. Also make sure to manage the background tasks using Battery Saver.
    Which apps did you limit in battery saver?
    07-31-2014 12:52 PM
    Which apps did you limit in battery saver?
    I disallowed anything that I don't use frequently or apps that I don't find necessary to have background task for, such as some games, Podcasts app, FM Radio app, Internet Explorer. I also disallowed Twitter and 6tag since I don't need push notifications for them. I have Facebook, Messenger and WhatsApp set to always allowed since I use them frequently.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    07-31-2014 01:11 PM
    1. Became warm and rapidly lost its charge. Put it on charge and it came back to life but went back to its default settings.
    2. Second time it became extremely hot and rapidly lost charge while in my pocket not in use when I went to use the phone it would not start put it on charge and still would not start. The only way I got it to start was to do a soft reset, and although it had been on charge during this period and totally drained the nokia portable wireless charger, the battery on the phone was more or less dead.
    3. Warms up and losses charge without user interaction. So it`s not just the fact of it warming up my phone is crashing.
    07-31-2014 04:36 PM
    1. Became warm and rapidly lost it’s charge. Put it on charge and it came back to life but went back to its default settings.
    2. Second time it became extremely hot and rapidly lost charge while in my pocket not in use when I went to use the phone it would not start put it on charge and still would not start. The only way I got it to start was to do a soft reset, and although it had been on charge during this period and totally drained the nokia portable wireless charger, the battery on the phone was more or less dead.
    3. Warms up and losses charge without user interaction. So it`s not just the fact of it warming up my phone is crashing.
    Do you have Cortana pinned to your start screen?
    07-31-2014 04:52 PM
    I disallowed anything that I don't use frequently or apps that I don't find necessary to have background task for, such as some games, Podcasts app, FM Radio app, Internet Explorer. I also disallowed Twitter and 6tag since I don't need push notifications for them. I have Facebook, Messenger and WhatsApp set to always allowed since I use them frequently.
    Done. Heating isn't as bad now.

Nokia UK still want me to exchange my 930, so I'll see.
    Dreamspell likes this.
    08-01-2014 06:53 AM
411 ... 89101112 ...