Non removable battery, is it an issue if phone gets stuck or dead?

tj_moore

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Just about all phones I've ever owned I've had to pull the battery at some point to reset it when it's stuck, boot looping or just gone dead and the standard power buttons aren't doing anything or fixing the issue.

Given the battery is non removable in the 930, does this become a big issue? Or is the power button a physical hard battery disconnect so OS freeze will still allow a complete recycle of the power?

Just debating whether the 930 is for me and this is maybe my main hang up. Fed up with doing it with my old Samsung (which I've utterly bricked now by trying to recover it, but seems like NAND corruption anyway), so I'd like to return to a Nokia having had a long history of them, even if the 930 is probably the last decent-ish Nokia branded phone for the foreseeable future.

A few other concerns being battery life, no sd slot, and the overheating I hear about, but I think these may not be such a deal breaker.

Given the thing is a year old I'd love to see a replacement flagship that takes the 930 and perfects it, but I'm looking at a long wait for that later in the year and I need a replacement for a brick now (and I've gone off Android really, and quite like Windows Phone).

tj_moore

May 20, 2015
Visit site
That's fine, but what if it's really stuck? I mean, I get that with Android where holding down power to force off doesn't work if it's really stuck, and like recently I couldn't get it into recovery mode either, and it was looping round in a reboot loop unless I took the battery out.

What I mean is I'd like the option to be able to attempt to recover the phone if it's really gone nuts and the power button doesn't work. Usually pulling the battery does it. I'd rather not have to send the phone off for repair, and worse if I'm sending it off with the display stuck on, battery getting hot, etc.

Or is it just a non issue with the Lumia range, or at least the 930? i.e. power or reset combo actually does a hard kill of power?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My 928 completely locked up this evening, no response from any buttons, the screen etc. The screen was frozen. Volume down + power for 10 seconds reset it no problem and all is working just fine.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've owned 5 Lumias, 4 had non-removable batteries (800, 900, 920, 1520). Combined, the phones must have frozen twice max, and the soft reset always worked.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never had any issues with frozen Windows Phones and non-removable batteries. Soft reset has worked on both my Lumia 900 and Lumia 920.

I haven't used a smartphone with a removable battery since early 2012, when I still had a BlackBerry 9700.

b0nz1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Just about all phones I've ever owned I've had to pull the battery at some point to reset it when it's stuck, boot looping or just gone dead and the standard power buttons aren't doing anything or fixing the issue.

1.) Basicly the Soft Reset combination can't be stuck at all. As you guessed right, this is working on a very deep hardware near layer within your phone (it's not literally physical but the closed thing you get on such a PCB design). If it doesn't work, there has to be something wrong with you hardware (probably the buttons).
2.) I got the Lumia 800, Lumia 920 and I'm now on the 930. Besides of some Internet Explorer crashes (which occur only on one page I visit often) there are no crashes at all. I never had to reset any of these phones at all because they got stuck.

Omar Zak

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
2 days ago i felt that a "fixed" battery would be a problem.

i installed windows 10 TP on my 930. and you know .. its not that good version.

after a day the phone is stuck and i cant boot it properly. i though "damn if i can get that battery of to restart" ..

but hey .. the soft reset keys are always working .. and the hard reset is also a good backup plan.

never worry about non removable batteries.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Another "advantage" of non removable batteries is that they always are"connected" so no unexpected "power downs" . A "common" problem of the 520 is that the battery can become "loose" in the housing resulting in rebooting if the battery disconnects if you drop the phone.

(And the battery is maybe non removable but it is still replaceable if needed)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Another "advantage" of non removable batteries is that they always are"connected" so no unexpected "power downs" . A "common" problem of the 520 is that the battery can become "loose" in the housing resulting in rebooting if the battery disconnects if you drop the phone.

(And the battery is maybe non removable but it is still replaceable if needed)
That was an issue on some older BlackBerry devices. The battery was loose, and the devices would turn off if there was any slight jarring motion. Many users would fold business cards and put them inside the battery door to keep the battery in place tightly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

SanPedroUK

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep... I had a look on youtube and there's quite a few 'teardown' videos of the 930 and battery replacement seems pretty straightforward. You don't have to take the phone completely to pieces to get the battery out.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yep... I had a look on youtube and there's quite a few 'teardown' videos of the 930 and battery replacement seems pretty straightforward. You don't have to take the phone completely to pieces to get the battery out.

But check out the teardown of the M8, replacement for this is really a challenge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon