W10M exposes broken microphones on Lumia 930

MrMikeymike

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys, mike from Mauritius..

bought my L930 5-6 months ago.. worked fine with W8.1 as well but always had problems when on speaker. anyways when i upgraded to Win10 mobile i got the same problems posted here.. of course.
When i tested the phone with the program listed in the OP microphones 3 was low and 4 was dead. Sent to local Microsoft repair center 10 days ago. i am supposed to know tomorrow if the repairs worked or if ill get a 950 replacement (which i highly doubt, but would like to happen).

In any case i hope the repairs, if it has been repaired, will hold and not break again in 2 weeks.

Will keep you posted..

Mike

Cezar-Andrei Pufu

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys. had the same issue with my 930. It appears that in the last insider build, the mic works again, so I believe it`s rather a software compatibility issue than hardware.

Iulian Luca

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I had to send my Lumia 930 in service for two weeks and they changed my broken mics and now every thing is working again. Still, I will wait for a better version of W10 that do not "eat" the battery. Right now I'm better on W8.1 Denim.
So the mics issue is a hardware issue 100% and only a replacement at the certified service will fix it.
Sad, but true.

Thanks.

Iulian

Last edited:

Nigel Weber

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
This saddens me. I had purchased it pre-owned thinking (mostly correct) that the 930 is still the best windows phone. Upgrading from a faulty 925.

What are the odds Microsoft can find a work around for this? If at all? Considering the latest update helped some people out with the camera?

I haven't done that test yet. But for me, Cortana works, Camera video recording works.

Voice recording app does not. Recording voice for messenger doesn't work. Skype speaker mode doesn't work. Speaker mode when calling doesn't work.

It works when not using the speaker setting. Need to personally decide how big an issue that really is for me.

Nigel Weber

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
What are the odds of Microsoft developing a work around for this?

Everything but setting things to speaker mode or sole audio recording on messenger/the app.

LuisMGLopes

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a 930 and had the same issue. I contacted support and got my phone repaired for free. It took a while to repair, but I have it for 2 months now and everything is working. I am using the latest w10 build and before I couldn't use skype or record audio with video. now all is ok

shibiyi

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this. I am currently a 640xl user. I was thinking of buying the Lumia 930 and then upgrading to w10m. However with this issue i will stay clear off it. Instead I will buy the Lumia 1520. I think I can mange with the issues it brings.

jadonx

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why my microphones worked fine before win10 update that it should be a hardware fault. This points to a software/firmware issue. If it is known that it is a hardware issue (possibly on certain builds or origin), Microsoft should do the honourable thing and offer a recall for those who want it (some people might not bother).

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why my microphones worked fine before win10 update that it should be a hardware fault. This points to a software/firmware issue. If it is known that it is a hardware issue (possibly on certain builds or origin), Microsoft should do the honourable thing and offer a recall for those who want it (some people might not bother).

Thing is, it would cost MS money and they don't want to do that.

jadonx

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have been a loyal windows phone fan since its inception and I feel sad, disappointed and frustrated at the same time to leave windows phone because of this. To think that Lumia 930 was a high end device, and this defect is not fair to all 930 users. I have switched to iPhone and while using the device, I have realized that the quality between wp and iPhone is too damn high. Especially the customer service.
Which one has the higher quality?

BobiBolivia

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yo guys,

I don't know if this is still valid thread, but I will add more confusion to this topic. (like I have a pleasure in doing so...).

I own precisely TWO Lumia 930 phones, and recently I was playing with idea of upgrading to W10M.

1st phone
- bought in summer 2014 shortly after release and availability in Czech Republic
- broken display in summer 2015
- upgraded to W10M I don't remember when exactly, but acting as "sandbox for W10M updates" (Fast Ring)
[::: OS: 10.0.14926.1000 ; FW: 02540.00019.15235.40004 ; HW revision: 2.0.0.1 ; SoC: 8974 :::]

2nd phone
- bought in november 2015
- still running WP 8.1
[::: OS: 8.10.14226.359 ; FW: 02540.00019.15235.40004 ; HW revision: 2.0.0.3 ; SoC: 8974 :::]

Am I the only one who thinks, that HW revision is the main reason for causing problems with MIC ?
I literally just tested MICs on both phones using utility posted HERE.
My WP 8.1 phone failed with 3rd and 4th MIC (as expected), but my old phone running W10M has 0 issues with any MIC...

OT question:
Does anybody know what is latest FW release for 930 ? Can somebody point me to source where can I get it ?

Bobi

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes