The Specifications for the Nokia Lumia ICON

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The WPC article said it'd be coming in matte black and glossy white. I'm kind hoping that's incorrect and that it comes in matte white rather than glossy. I much prefer the slick and clean look of the matte white.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 929 is thicker than 1520. Which is fine for me. Is there a possibility that it could have a bigger camera sensor than 1520?

It's mainly thicker because 1.) Wireless charging and 2.) Camera hump. Verizon is a supporter of Qi Charging so they likely want to continue to the Nokia standard of Qi wireless charging. They also tend towards carrying phones for business. The hump is probably a bit too showy for their understanding of what business people want to be carrying around.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Nah, its thicker cause of the built in wireless charging.
How do you know this? Qi receiving loops are available as "stickers" no thicker than an NFC tag. The weight difference between the AT&T and non-AT&T 1520 models is 3g. Do you really think that 3g spread out over about 2.25 sq in (1,452 mm2) would add that much thickness?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
How do you know this? Qi receiving loops are available as "stickers" no thicker than an NFC tag. The weight difference between the AT&T and non-AT&T 1520 models is 3g. Do you really think that 3g spread out over about 2.25 sq in (1,452 mm2) would add that much thickness?

It's thicker because it has similar specs without the same height or width. End of story.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It's thicker because it has similar specs without the same height or width. End of story.
Not really because you ignored the question. If the international 1520 with Qi and the AT&T 1520 without Qi are the same thickness, then Qi isn't likely a significant contributor to thickness. In post #107 you assert that the inclusion of Qi in the 929 is what's making it thicker than the 1520. You and others have to stop acting like a Qi receiver is 1cm thick. However, your assertion that the greater area of the 1520 lets Nokia spread things thinner may be reasonable, but only if the insides are actually full, which is something that we don't know yet (along with the size of the battery).

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not really because you ignored the question. If the international 1520 with Qi and the AT&T 1520 without Qi are the same thickness, then Qi isn't likely a significant contributor to thickness. In post #107 you assert that the inclusion of Qi in the 929 is what's making it thicker than the 1520. You and others have to stop acting like a Qi receiver is 1cm thick. However, your assertion that the greater area of the 1520 lets Nokia spread things thinner may be reasonable, but only if the insides are actually full, which is something that we don't know yet (along with the size of the battery).

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
In all fairness, Indistinguishable, I think the confusion is coming from an earlier comment you made. Just a simple miscommunication. :)
It's mainly thicker because 1.) Wireless charging and 2.) Camera hump. Verizon is a supporter of Qi Charging so they likely want to continue to the Nokia standard of Qi wireless charging. They also tend towards carrying phones for business. The hump is probably a bit too showy for their understanding of what business people want to be carrying around.

elianomarques

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if this is a US exclusive (Verizon), or it will be available worldwide? I was planning to buy a Lumia 925 for Christmas, but I rather wait for this one. Love the specs. Please, Nokia, do a global version ;)

Last edited:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if this is a US exclusive (Verizon), or it will be available worldwide? I was planning to buy a Lumia 925 for Christmas, but I rather wait for this one. Love the specs. Please, Nokia, do a global version ;)

I'm fairly certain this will be 100% exclusive to Verizon. Verizon phones are however unlocked.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm fairly certain this will be 100% exclusive to Verizon. Verizon phones are however unlocked.

So your best bet would be to buy it on ebay. But definitely check with your carrier to make sure that it'll work well with your service.

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
It could just be me, but I find it interesting that in the history of Verizon's Windows Phones:
  • HTC Trophy - Verizon-branded HTC 7 Trophy
  • HTC 8X - Verizon-branded HTC 8X
  • Lumia 822 - unique
  • Lumia 928 - unique
  • Samsung ATIV Odyssey - unique
Either these phones are unique to Verizon, or they're an international phone with a CDMA chip inside. If there were to be an international Lumia 929, it would have been announced last month at Nokia World when the 1520 was announced. Logic dictates the following, so why do so many people ask about it?

• Lumia 929 - unique

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism