Nokia ICON (929) vs the upcoming 1820

rpd2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been waiting for the 929 for a long time because I am limited to Verizon. I just read that the 1820 is now on the horizon and will be the headliner at MWC in February. The removable storage and 41mp camera put the 929 in the back of the bus (al la 1020 last year with the 928). My question is will the 1820 be available on Verizon in Q1 of 2014?

Nokia's 2014 flagships claimed to be Lumia 1820 and Lumia 1525, great specs in tow

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The question that should be asked is - Will Verizon even carry these at all? Usually, AT&T snatches up the new models and then has a 6+ month hold on them, once AT&T actually gets them into their hands. So by the time AT&T gets them, which would be within the next 6 months, wait another 6 months, figure a year or more for Verizon to make variants.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain. I'm on Verizon (928) and want the icon bad. The 929(icon) will probably be the only wp8 from Nokia/MS for Verizon this year. Samsung may release a lower spec wp8 somewhere in there too. ATT will get the love

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Even if they were rumored to have an actual verizon release date, you'll have to take that date and add at least 3 months onto it, just because Verizon is so slow.
Really depends on how much you need a new phone though. If your phone is 2+ years old, the Icon (if it exists) is the best bet. If your current phone is current enough, then waiting might not be a big deal.

I thought the 1820 rumors were bogus though, looked more like a wishlist.

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
All the specs on the 1820 are based on one tweet from some unknown leakers, and his tweet has since been removed. That said ...

The 929 is based on the 1520, which was released months ago. Nokia clearly has newer phones in development. Microsoft, has a ton of cash, and bought Nokia to push Windows. Rumor has it the 1820 will be the first Microsoft branded phone (i.e. no Nokia name on it), and hence the reason the specs are so high (to make a big splash). If true, and the merger closes quickly ... then end of Q1 is possible. If they want it to have 8.1 pre-installed ... more likely early Q2?

Historically Verizon has been slow with new hardware ... yet, historically has been very quick with new hardware developed by the OS provider (i.e. Apple/iPhone, now Google/Motorola, and soon to be Microsoft/Nokia)

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Even if they were rumored to have an actual verizon release date, you'll have to take that date and add at least 3 months onto it, just because Verizon is so slow.

Don't forget to add 6 months to that for it to even be rumoured that Verizon will get it.

I, along with everyone, would love if Verizon picked up one of these 2 devices and come out with it soon, but the chances of that happening are about 10%. Unless the phone starts with an "i" or "Galaxy", Verizon is just damn slow to push it out. I've heard before that its because of their rigorous testing. I could see that causing some extra time, but as long as it takes for some devices to come out, it's more than that.

I honestly believe it has to do with the fact that they always want their own variant. That's why the HTC One came out 6 months after everyone else had it. They wanted their own droid (DNA), even though it was widely known HTC would be coming out with a new flagship (One). Now they are getting their variant of the 1520, months after its been released. I really believe the Icon is the only major WP for Verizon for the first 3/4 of the year.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I really believe the Icon is the only major WP for Verizon for the first 3/4 of the year.

+1. Even if there was confirmation of a new phone coming out, I don't think I have it in me to have my hopes repeatedly raised then dashed by Verizon another time, as they've currently been while waiting for the 929/Icon.

rpd2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
"Yay! A comparison thread about 2 phones that don't exist yet...."

Well, you are already in a thread about one of them. The discussion cant be THAT far beneath you.
:winktongue:

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The Luma 1820 is a pink unicorn. Get the 929 now or wait 6 months to get the next big thing

Pretty sure most of us WOULD get the 929 now if that were possible (unless we're in China) :(

Soon, though. I think. Based on information that may or may not be true. And stuff.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
1020 with updated 5" 1080p screen, built-in Qi, Snapdragon 800 or 805 and design of the 1520. C'mon, Nokia - can't be that hard to make our dream phone, can it?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
1020 with updated 5" 1080p screen, built-in Qi, Snapdragon 800 or 805 and design of the 1520. C'mon, Nokia - can't be that hard to make our dream phone, can it?

Same reason I am holding of 1520. I am looking for a similar specs. But now that Nokia's device division has been handled to MS. So I am not sure if MS will live upto this legacy. Buy I hope that Nokia continue its R&D with devices, camera, screen and other hardware and provide its license to MS.

Now Nokia can solely concentrate in its R&D on producing revolutionary devices, cameras, screens. Sell its license to MS and doesn't have to bother about profit or loss on its device sales division.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Same reason I am holding of 1520. I am looking for a similar specs. But now that Nokia's device division has been handled to MS. So I am not sure if MS will live upto this legacy. Buy I hope that Nokia continue its R&D with devices, camera, screen and other hardware and provide its license to MS.

Now Nokia can solely concentrate in its R&D on producing revolutionary devices, cameras, screens. Sell its license to MS and doesn't have to bother about profit or loss on its device sales division.

Not sure what you're getting at here.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't really believe that these phones exist, but im sure something decent is in the wings. I just hope we hear about it next month and don't have to wait until Build.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes