Dropability?

JohnGalt1717

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Anyone dropped their Icon yet?

I had a 920 which I gave to my wife because she's on AT&T for work, when I got my 928 on Verizon because I actually wanted my phone to work.... the 920 was and is indestructable. Drop it, doesn't matter. The 928 shattered the screen in the first 3 weeks.

Hoping that the Icon is better than the 928 and more like the 920 before I go pay full pop for a phone!

qwank

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering this too. I beat the crap out of my phones at work, I've have 2 droids and an LG that never broke the screen, and I drop them all the time. but everyone else here has galaxys and iphones etc. with broken screens.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Don't know how you broke your 928, mine's been a tank. I've dropped it at least 20 times from various heights and angles and only the plastic has dented a little bit. People always asked me why I didn't have a case and I told them it was because it didn't need one. The metal band on the outside of the icon should help as well.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had my 928 dropped onto concrete (on the corner), hardwood floor, carpet and grass without any cracking or scratches to the screen. Others have one drop and it shatters. My guess, the icon will be the same way due to the similar design.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Don't know how you broke your 928, mine's been a tank. I've dropped it at least 20 times from various heights and angles and only the plastic has dented a little bit. People always asked me why I didn't have a case and I told them it was because it didn't need one. The metal band on the outside of the icon should help as well.

I dropped my 928 on the hardwood floor at the Microsoft Store while picking up my Icon. It was just fine.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its worth noting that resistance to gravitational accidents aren't exactly a precise science.

I've seen 920's take an impressive amount of beating, (such as taking the force of car fu) and others who crack after a single bad drop. It doesn't necessarily mean that some units are more fragile than others, but its just that there's so many variables in play.

I've seen the story of the 720 shattering after a drop from a counter to one that was tossed across the room to defeat the HTC One in awesomeness.

I can say Nokia phones are generally built better than a lot of them, but the smartphones are no longer as strong as the 3310 or even the current dumbphone lineup.

Most comments I see though are anecdotal evidence, I bet theres someone out there who demolished their 920 and still has a 928 running strong or something like that.

Just my two cents.

but anyways, I can't really say which would be stronger.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a survey about that.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Its worth noting that resistance to gravitational accidents aren't exactly a precise science.

I've seen 920's take an impressive amount of beating, (such as taking the force of car fu) and others who crack after a single bad drop. It doesn't necessarily mean that some units are more fragile than others, but its just that there's so many variables in play.

I've seen the story of the 720 shattering after a drop from a counter to one that was tossed across the room to defeat the HTC One in awesomeness.

I can say Nokia phones are generally built better than a lot of them, but the smartphones are no longer as strong as the 3310 or even the current dumbphone lineup.

Most comments I see though are anecdotal evidence, I bet theres someone out there who demolished their 920 and still has a 928 running strong or something like that.

Just my two cents.

but anyways, I can't really say which would be stronger.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a survey about that.

This is very true. If one is concerned about physical damage from drops, then he/she will get a sturdy case such as an Otterbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon