03-28-2016 08:44 PM
40 12
tools
    Can someone run their ESN through Welcome | Straight Talk and see if they say it is compatible. The morons at ST (great service, stupid support) say this is the only way to know and I'm not going to buy one just to find out they don't support it. I want to know if the Verizon LTE side is supported so that's why the ESN needs verifying.
    03-05-2014 09:51 PM
    Verizon, to the best of my knowledge, does not offer LTE service through Straight Talk or any other MVNO. Limited to 3G only through Straight Talk for Verizon Phones.
    03-05-2014 10:02 PM
    I really doubt a Verizon phone is in their data base.
    03-05-2014 10:11 PM
    ok well if they don't offer LTE on the Verizon side then never mind.
    03-06-2014 07:27 AM
    ok well if they don't offer LTE on the Verizon side then never mind.
    For what it's worth. There was another post this morning where a guy said he put a T-Mobile SIM in his Icon and it saw Verizon LTE, T-Mobile LTE and AT&T 3G. He said he didn't try to connect to any other carrier but saw them listed. Here's his post: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...using-gsm.html
    03-06-2014 08:15 AM
    yeah I doubt that. Verizon would need to have the ESN registered active in their network to get LTE provisioned. and even then they'd need someone to charge roaming back to if it was on T-Mobile for instance. I'll just take the previous poster's advice that Verizon isn't handing out LTE to mvnos.
    palandri likes this.
    03-06-2014 08:49 AM
    I am using icon on straight talk using tmobile sim. It gets LTE service. I have tried using at&t sim too, but unfortunately at&t limit their LTE to at&t branded phones only hence only 3g for icon.
    Only little problem on tmobile is that the signal meter will show no service when the phone is on LTE. Everything works fine though for data and calls and mms.
    aximtreo, xandros9 and techmojo like this.
    06-18-2014 01:12 AM
    Is your Icon unlocked, or still Verizon branded? Also, what settings did you use?
    I am using icon on straight talk using tmobile sim. It gets LTE service. I have tried using at&t sim too, but unfortunately at&t limit their LTE to at&t branded phones only hence only 3g for icon.
    Only little problem on tmobile is that the signal meter will show no service when the phone is on LTE. Everything works fine though for data and calls and mms.
    06-27-2014 12:51 PM
    I have an Icon with the tMobile SIM. Works well. I have the same issue with no signal bar indicators. Did you ever solve this mystery?
    Thanks
    08-13-2014 07:28 PM
    I just bought an unlocked Lumia Icon, ran my ESN through the site, and it said that my phone WILL work on Straight Talk. It advised me that I would need to buy the AT&T nano sim, though. Not the TMobile. I'm going for it, and will report back in a couple of days to let you know if it works or not.
    08-29-2014 09:51 AM
    Any luck getting everything (except LTE) working on Straighttalk?
    09-05-2014 09:10 AM
    Unless it's guaranteed that you'll get lte, I wouldn't think it's worth it. It'd be like buying a Ferrari and only diving it on dirt roads.
    09-05-2014 01:16 PM
    Unless it's guaranteed that you'll get lte, I wouldn't think it's worth it. It'd be like buying a Ferrari and only diving it on dirt roads.
    LTE isn't too critical for me because of where I live. The closest LTE market for ATT is about four hours away.
    09-06-2014 08:07 AM
    LTE isn't too critical for me because of where I live, the closest LTE market is about 4 hours away.
    09-06-2014 10:16 AM
    Anyone try this yet with Verizon ST? I'm on wifi the majority of the time and would love to save a little money!

Thanks!
    10-02-2014 05:21 AM
    Anyone try this yet with Verizon ST? I'm on wifi the majority of the time and would love to save a little money!

Thanks!

Later this month page plus is supposed to get support for LTE phones, you can preorder SIM cards now. It will definitely work with them.
    10-02-2014 06:45 AM
    I have an Icon and it was listed as compatible when I entered the MEID.
    10-03-2014 12:18 AM
    I use mine on ST with an ATT SIM. No LTE in my area, but I assume it wouldn't work anyway. MMS and data work great otherwise.
    10-03-2014 07:11 AM
    I'm using my Icon on Verizon Straight Talk with full LTE and everything. The activation kits now come with CDMA LTE Nano SIM cards for every carrier.
    aximtreo and Padr1n0 like this.
    01-02-2015 01:01 PM
    I'm using my Icon on Verizon Straight Talk with full LTE and everything. The activation kits now come with CDMA LTE Nano SIM cards for every carrier.
    Yes, that's a rather new development. Straight Talk just recently started adding Verizon SIMs to their BYOP kits. They say that pretty much any Verizon LTE phone is compatible. They have always been compatible with Straight Talk's AT&T and T-Mobile services, since Verizon LTE phones are SIM unlocked.

One question: do the BYOP starter kits come with Sprint SIM cards?
    jrdatrackstar1223 likes this.
    01-02-2015 01:21 PM
    Yes, that's a rather new development. Straight Talk just recently started adding Verizon SIMs to their BYOP kits. They say that pretty much any Verizon LTE phone is compatible. They have always been compatible with Straight Talk's AT&T and T-Mobile services, since Verizon LTE phones are SIM unlocked.

One question: do the BYOP starter kits come with Sprint SIM cards?
    No, they don't include Sprint SIMs, although they do list Sprint as a company on their website. I should have been more specific and said they include all GSM SIMs and Verizon Micro/Nano SIMs. I really can't believe they finally allowed Verizon SIMs. I was originally going to use this Icon on Straight Talk AT&T but Im so happy I don't have to go through hoops to use my Icon to its full potential. Plus, I got my Icon for $80 from a guy on Craigslist in near perfect shape.
    01-04-2015 10:19 PM
    This whole thing seems crazy to me. Assume that by being on ST for Verizon that firmware and platform updates will come straight from Microsoft with no man in the middle nonsense? Also assume that I can keep my number and that it still includes voicemail?
    01-16-2015 06:39 PM
    This whole thing seems crazy to me. Assume that by being on ST for Verizon that firmware and platform updates will come straight from Microsoft with no man in the middle nonsense? Also assume that I can keep my number and that it still includes voicemail?
    I don't quite understand what you said here. But to clarify at least one thing, the carrier or phone service you're using makes absolutely no difference as far as updates. If you have a Verizon Icon, you will get updates whenever Verizon pushes updates to the Icon. It doesn't matter if it has a Verizon SIM, ST Verizon, ST AT&T, ST T-Mobile, AT&T, Vodafone, Y!Mobile, or any other carrier. It doesn't even have to have a SIM card; it can be inactive and on WiFi only. Location doesn't matter. As long as it's powered on and online somehow, it'll get the updates based on the OS version installed.

As far as your question about phone number and VM, Straight Talk is an MVNO that uses Verizon service, among others. But you do have a different carrier. You would need to port your number from Verizon to Straight Talk. I'm not sure about voicemail, as I've never used ST's. But I'd assume it's quite normal.
    01-16-2015 08:16 PM
    Not true that AT&T limits their LTE to their branded phones.
    The Icon won't get LTE on AT&T because it doesn't support the LTE bands that AT&T uses.
    Icon supports LTE bands 4,13 (700, 1700/2100), AT&T uses, mostly, LTE bands 5, 17 and rarely maybe, in some areas, band 4.
    Icon will work on any GSM network that has the bands that matches it's bands.
    All of the Verizon branded phones are GSM unlocked already, there is nothing to unlock. Simply pop a compatible GSM SIM card in and you're good to go.

Fred

Laura Knotek, tgp and aximtreo like this.
    01-17-2015 04:48 PM
    So if the vzw LTE phones come gsm unlocked out of the box, does that mean I can move it to Cricket Wireless if I wanted? Having no 4G isn't a problem for me since I am mostly on WIFI and when I browse the web on my phone on the go, 3G speeds will be fine.
    01-18-2015 01:58 PM
40 12