Upgraded from 822 to Icon - Mistake?

Ancalagon82

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Am I reading correctly that my old phone was basically 'grandfathered in' when it comes to accessing multiple and shared google calendars, but that until 8.1 comes out and the Icon gets a firmware update I'm basically SOL on that front?

If so, are there any workarounds or do I just need to go back to the 822 until then? I have to have access to my wife's calendars, this is non negotiable.

Thanks for any help or advice!

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Am I reading correctly that my old phone was basically 'grandfathered in' when it comes to accessing multiple and shared google calendars, but that until 8.1 comes out and the Icon gets a firmware update I'm basically SOL on that front?

If so, are there any workarounds or do I just need to go back to the 822 until then? I have to have access to my wife's calendars, this is non negotiable.

There is many calendar apps that can help with this problem, I would try out Chronos calendar for one i know that sync with google

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

This should answer your question.

Google Calendar now works with Windows Phone 8.1 | WMPoweruser

When I switched from Android to Windows Phone I imported all of my Google Calendar stuff into my Outlook.com calendar. Then from that point forward, I stopped putting stuff in my Google Calendar. I also set my Gmail to autoforward to Outlook and imported all of my contacts from Google. It was really easy, and Microsoft has a tutorial on how to do that.

So to answer your question. No, it was not a mistake.

Ancalagon82

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

Right, but until 8.1 comes out I am SOL yes?

When I switched from Android to Windows Phone I imported all of my Google Calendar stuff into my Outlook.com calendar. Then from that point forward, I stopped putting stuff in my Google Calendar. I also set my Gmail to autoforward to Outlook and imported all of my contacts from Google. It was really easy, and Microsoft has a tutorial on how to do that.

That is not an option for me as I have multiple calendars not under my control I need access to (namely my wife's, but also orgs I am a part of).

Ancalagon82

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
There is many calendar apps that can help with this problem, I would try out Chronos calendar for one i know that sync with google

I use Simple Calendar (thanks WPCentral!) and while it works/worked fine on my 822, it doesn't on new Icon. From what I am reading it is b/c I set my 822 up before Google/Microsoft decided to get in a catfight over the issue so I was grandfathered in, but no new 'syncing' will be allowed until 8.1 comes out.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep, terrible mistake. Slide that Icon right over here. You will be so much happier with your 822. LOL, jk!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Right, but until 8.1 comes out I am SOL yes?

That is not an option for me as I have multiple calendars not under my control I need access to (namely my wife's, but also orgs I am a part of).

No you're not SOL. You can use Google services on WP8. You have to go into Settings> Email + accounts to set up your Google account. Then go into Calendar > settings, and you should seen your Google calendar. You can turn off other calendars there as well as set the color scheme for each calendar.

Does that help?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon