Not quite sure about getting Icon

JHBThree

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Switched to Verizon from T-Mobile. Picked up the new HTC one, but I was also eyeing the Icon. I like the one, and am used to android, but the stellar camera of the Icon is a draw for me. (As is 8.1 fixing a lot of my niggles with WP) Both have great build quality, design, and specs, so I can't decide if I want to exchange. Any thoughts?

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
20 years from now you'll be happy you had better photos, but you won't remember that you couldn't get that sixteenth social media app

JHBThree

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm just apprehensive. I'm fairly invested in googles ecosystem so disentangling myself from it seems a little daunting. Plus, I've read the thread on here from android users that switched, and that gives me a little anxiety. (Some said it was fine, others said it wasn't) Any other android switchers have opinions?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

JHBThree

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Decided to just say screw it and do it tomorrow. I don't hold onto my phone's for long anyways, but I've got some things coming up that I want a phone with a good camera for. (First niece will be here in June, and I don't want to have to carry my NEX with me when I'm around her all the time)

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It also isn't the worst thing in the world to get off Google's services, or at least try Microsoft's. I finally forced myself over, and am very happy. Nice thing about Microsoft is it doesn't matter if I am using my Icon, HTC One, iPhone, iPad, Surface, Windows desktop or Mac laptop, I have everything everywhere

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Decided to just say screw it and do it tomorrow. I don't hold onto my phone's for long anyways, but I've got some things coming up that I want a phone with a good camera for. (First niece will be here in June, and I don't want to have to carry my NEX with me when I'm around her all the time)

Glad to see you're going to give the Icon a shot. I love the Icon and I love WP8. It just works. And it's a joy to use. You will need to maybe do some work if you want to stick with the google ecosystem. Google does their best to make it so WP8 and Google services don't play nice. It may be advantageous to switch over to some Microsoft services to make up for it.

Congratulations on the upcoming niece! My third niece was born two weeks ago! :)

JHBThree

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I got it. Feels comfortable. Will take some getting used to, but I'll like it. Only thing that has me apprehensive now is that one of my coworkers saw I got it, and said 'you know we get a 20% monthly discount from att right?'. Turns out I could get the same plan from att for around $25 a month less. Would have to get the 1520 though, which may be too big.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I got it. Feels comfortable. Will take some getting used to, but I'll like it. Only thing that has me apprehensive now is that one of my coworkers saw I got it, and said 'you know we get a 20% monthly discount from att right?'. Turns out I could get the same plan from att for around $25 a month less. Would have to get the 1520 though, which may be too big.

They have the L1020 with THE best camera there is on a phone, and going to be getting the L930 (ICON "clone") and the Samsung ATIV S NEO (a step down from the One, but)...

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Well, if you need the money, switch. Check out the 1520 forums and see if people like it. It seems like alot of people do. Its pretty much the same spec besides the screen size.

I have the icon. I like it. Great size. I'll let you mess with it before saying anymore.

JHBThree

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
They have the L1020 with THE best camera there is on a phone, and going to be getting the L930 (ICON "clone") and the Samsung ATIV S NEO (a step down from the One, but)...

Ehh. The 1020 would be too big of a step down for me. It'll also be a while before they get the 930, if they even do.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Ehh. The 1020 would be too big of a step down for me. It'll also be a while before they get the 930, if they even do.

So stay on VZW with your ICON or throw your T-Mo phone on a monthly plan with MetroPCS while you wait it out. Since all this stuff with Build, and all the new OEMs, I have a feeling there will be a flood of new WP8.1 devices launching in the next 2 months or so... Just my 2?..

JHBThree

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
So stay on VZW with your ICON or throw your T-Mo phone on a monthly plan with MetroPCS while you wait it out. Since all this stuff with Build, and all the new OEMs, I have a feeling there will be a flood of new WP8.1 devices launching in the next 2 months or so... Just my 2?..

Based on what Nokia said, the 930 won't be in the us for quite some time.

I'd be fine with the 1520, but it's so damn big!

JHBThree

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
June for the 930 in general. The US isnt one of the markets getting it.

Regardless, I'm going to go play with the 1520 again today to see if I can deal with the size.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon