i don't always want DNG files

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I take a lot of photos (one reason I got this camera). I love the ability to change settings and muck with photos after the fact in Lightroom.

but frankly, most of my photos are "junk" I would never edit. like the picture of this morning's tator-tot breakfast.

I don't really want to burn 20M on a DNG of tator-tot breakfast. I see three things I can do:

1. always capture DNGs and delete the ones I don't want.
2. change the setting in Nokia Camera not to keep DNGs for the photos where I don't care
3. use the built-in Camera app for "junk" photos

#1 is the path of least resistance, but it's a paint delete DNGs individually b/c you can't view them on the phone or in windows file explorer
#2 is probably best but I am worried I'll forget to re-enable DNGs for the next photo
#3 is what I do most of the time. debating whether to tie the camera button to it since most of my photos are "junk"...

thoughts?

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I can view DNGs in file explorer on windows... So not sure how that is a problem.

Your best bet is to use another app like you are. Give OneShot a try rather than the baked in OS camera app.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I take a lot of photos (one reason I got this camera). I love the ability to change settings and muck with photos after the fact in Lightroom.

but frankly, most of my photos are "junk" I would never edit. like the picture of this morning's tator-tot breakfast.

I don't really want to burn 20M on a DNG of tator-tot breakfast. I see three things I can do:

1. always capture DNGs and delete the ones I don't want.
2. change the setting in Nokia Camera not to keep DNGs for the photos where I don't care
3. use the built-in Camera app for "junk" photos

#1 is the path of least resistance, but it's a paint delete DNGs individually b/c you can't view them on the phone or in windows file explorer
#2 is probably best but I am worried I'll forget to re-enable DNGs for the next photo
#3 is what I do most of the time. debating whether to tie the camera button to it since most of my photos are "junk"...

thoughts?

I know how you feel. I also use a Canon EOS-6D and shoot exclusively in RAW. I don't worry about "throwaways" until I download into Lightroom. I tend to take dozens of photos, then when I get home, I really only like 4 or 5 of them.

It would be nice that when you delete the 5MP version it deletes the corresponding DNG version too. I think if Nokia did that, it would alleviate a lot of frustration.

If it makes you feel any better, the phone wasn't designed by photographers, it was designed by cell phone users. The whole DNG capture thing was thrown in as an after thought for marketing purposes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Nokia did it, I've gotten some excellent shots I might have otherwise missed. It seems haphazard how Nokia implemented.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, the phone wasn't designed by photographers, it was designed by cell phone users. The whole DNG capture thing was thrown in as an after thought for marketing purposes.

It's a bit exaggerated, for the least. For having been in contact with Juha Alakarhu (head of Nokia Imaging) or Damian Dinning (before Juha), I can ensure you that Nokia Imaging team is made of photographers. If we have RAW, it's because Juha shoots only RAW on his DSLR and is a great fan of photography, not only a brilliant engineer.

Actually, you can reach out Juha very easily on Twitter. We are a bunch of (mobile) photographers who have shared our informed feedback with Juha and he is ACTUALLY taking it into account.

Of course, there is a layer of marketing. But I would show more respect to that Imaging team, because they listen to the community and they deliver as much as they can. We wanted RAW, they did it. A new feature/improvements wishlist has be handed to Imaging, and I'm sure they haven't archived it in the shredder. ^^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon