Hold Out For A Sony Windows Phone or Upgrade to Nokia Icon?

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I currently own a Nokia Lumia 928 and I was considering the Nokia Icon or possibly the Samsung ATIV SE as an upgrade. They both have their pros and cons, the Icon is a superior build quality and has Qi charging and a better camera, but it does not support micro SD's. The ATIV SE does have a micro SD card and an IR sensor and a solid camera but feels much cheaper than the Icon. I'm hoping Sony comes and provides the best of both worlds in terms of build quality and Micro SD support.

What do you guys think about Sony? Do you think any potential device by them is worth waiting for before I upgrade?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I currently own a Nokia Lumia 928 and I was considering the Nokia Icon or possibly the Samsung ATIV SE as an upgrade. They both have their pros and cons, the Icon is a superior build quality and has Qi charging and a better camera, but it does not support micro SD's. The ATIV SE does have a micro SD card and an IR sensor and a solid camera but feels much cheaper than the Icon. I'm hoping Sony comes and provides the best of both worlds in terms of build quality and Micro SD support.

What do you guys think about Sony? Do you think any potential device by them is worth waiting for before I upgrade?

I don't think anyone but Sony can answer that question....

Either live with the limited storage on the Icon or go bigger and get the 1520.

zomechin

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Personally I'd always go with Nokia. I find their general design and hardware to be way more appealing (look at the Samsung's start button :x). Not to mention the exclusive Nokia apps are pretty nice.

xoxoGeorges

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
The exclusives are too good to miss for me.

Though when the time will come (aka Nokia stops making phones) I will ideally stick with Sony on either Android or WP (worry not, most likely WP!)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I would hold on for a Sony if they are actually going to leap.
Be prepared to pay however.

What scares me slightly about Sony is in the past when they have embraced good technology it seems to have been a nail in coffin for that technology.
Hoping the Sony curse is no longer true because they do make the best hardware.

AlwaysColtron

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
4 words. First Party Windows Phones. All I got to say. As nice as a Sony WP would be, nothing could beat a Nokia made/"basically a mini Surface" phone. No clue when that will happen but if I was a betting man I'd say this holiday. They wanna make that Nokia purchase as profitable as possible and this holiday would make sense.

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Sony phones are a hit or miss affair...at best. It's no-longer like the old days with awesome Sony Ericsson phones like the T-637 or the P910. I think, had I the new phone bug, I'd go Nok - er - I mean Microsoft Lumia!

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I would hold on for a Sony if they are actually going to leap.
Be prepared to pay however.

What scares me slightly about Sony is in the past when they have embraced good technology it seems to have been a nail in coffin for that technology.
Hoping the Sony curse is no longer true because they do make the best hardware.

My feelings exactly.

*looks at his Sony GoogleTV and sighs*

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Off topic. Since Nokia got sold to MS today is Lumia 930 still going to be Nokia branded (asking because its not available yet)?

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I believe the Nokia brand will remain on new phones for at least one year. Microsoft doesn't seem to have made up it's mind on whether or not to keep the Nokia name, bit it does seem to be heading in that direction. No one seems to know for sure though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077